JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Star Wars Rogue One

Isn't that the trailer that was shown at the theater before the movie so if you already saw the movie you should have seen this trailer

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

Isn't that the trailer that was shown at the theater before the movie so if you already saw the movie you should have seen this trailer

Not a trailer where I live... Maybe in the place wouldn't I like to know where you live, it was played!

Yes, it was one of the many trailers included in the more than 20 minutes of teasers/trailers they showed before the movie

Perhaps this is one of the benefits of not going to the first showing - I just went this past Friday :)

• 7 months later...

There is a new trailer out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frdj1zb9sMY

I think I'll look forward to watching this one. It has that feel the first Star Wars movies had. It ties into the story I grew up with.

By the way, it's "Rogue One" (ɹoʊ̯ɡ) and not "Rouge One" (ɹuːʒ) as in the colour red.

Edited by ChocoBro

Just think .... we have several weeks of College Football to help us count/pass the time until the movie hits the theaters

On 12/27/2015 at 10:38 AM, Tbs77 said:

Aww, so we won't get to see the last ones, unless we find some tapes in the ruble.

Isaiah 2:4,

"He will render judgment among the nations
And set matters straight respecting many peoples.
They will beat their swords into plowshares
And their spears into pruning shears.
Nation will not lift up sword against nation,
Nor will they learn war anymore."

Hate to be a killjoy but, several years ago, we had a C.O. who asked the congregation if  true Christians should find it entertaining to watch "war movies," because the latest Star Wars movie was just released. As he said, "It's called Star WARS for a reason. Just because it's science fiction and takes place in outer space doesn't mean it's not a war movie."

I know this is a matter involving personal preference and there are no hard fast rules, in fact, some might say it's a conscience matter, even though we do have Bible principles to guide us when it comes to entertainment. So, is the new Star Wars movie appropriate or not? Is saying, "Well, it doesn't bother my conscience," good enough? I'm curious to hear your thoughts.

Edited by minister159

"The future's uncertain and the end is always near" --- Jim Morrison

"The more I know, the less I understand. All the things I thought I knew, I'm learning again" --- Don Henley

17 minutes ago, minister159 said:

but, several years ago, we had a C.O.

If I only had a dollar for every time I have heard this ...

We had a CO who blasted Star Trek form the stage during one of his talks an the CA - some today will reference that "the CO said we shouldn't watch Star Trek" - of course, what they do not know is that the CO was contacted by the Branch for "overstepping" and told if it continued he would not longer serve as a CO (yes, I know for a FACT this happened)

We had another CO who ranted on the Sunday final talk at the CA saying how wrong it was to be watching College Football - you know, the "competitive spirit" - only to have some confront him because he, himself was a college football watcher. What had him upset was not the watching of the football, it was that our circuit was comprised of mostly fans of the team that won the game - he was a fan of the other team. But, those who do not care for football - all they ever say now is "remember the CO said we shouldn't watch it."

The FDS has said that these things ARE a conscience matter - they also say that we should not impose OUR conscience on others ...

So, I'm curious ... are you saying we should not watch this movie? (your wording would indicate that)

17 minutes ago, minister159 said:

some might say it's a conscience matter, even though we do have Bible principles to guide us when it comes to entertainment

As you said .... Just Curious

Edited by Qapla

Well I guess you have John's thoughts. I will watch it. It does not bother me. I can see where it might bother some since it has a spiritual aspect of sorts. But as you say it is a matter of conscience. 

I know a CO that went back stage to a Prince concert. My conscience would not permit that even assuming he was a Brother. But CO thought it was ok.  I guess the point is it is nothing for us to get to upset about one way or the other.

And please don't anyone turn this into a Prince thread.:offtopic:

12 hours ago, minister159 said:

Hate to be a killjoy but, several years ago, we had a C.O. who asked the congregation if  true Christians should find it entertaining to watch "war movies," because the latest Star Wars movie was just released. As he said, "It's called Star WARS for a reason. Just because it's science fiction and takes place in outer space doesn't mean it's not a war movie."

Hate to be a critic, but the C.O. shouldn't have said that. As far as I know appointed brothers are even asked not to state names of films or other entertainment specifically if this is not necessary because in the end, this is propagating their own opinion from the platform.

21 hours ago, Qapla said:

The FDS has said that these things ARE a conscience matter - they also say that we should not impose OUR conscience on others ...

So, I'm curious ... are you saying we should not watch this movie? (your wording would indicate that)

As you said .... Just Curious

Personally, I'm kind of ambivalent when it comes to Star Wars movies, and it doesn't bother me one way or the other as to what others do in that regard, but I don't think it's just a conscience matter. Deciding to accept or not accept blood fractions is a conscience matter, because the Bible is silent on that subject. But, when it comes to personal matters, such as our entertainment, we have Bible principles to guide us and help us decide accordingly. A sister might decide to wear a tight mini-skirt out in public when not engaged in any form of sacred service and say, "I don't see anything wrong with it, it doesn't bother my conscience." So, does that mean it's ok and nobodies business but hers? What if an elder tries to counsel a young brother about the dangers of playing violent video games and the young brother says, "Well, I know you watch Star Wars movies. In fact, I've heard you say you're a fan of them. What's the difference?" (Fan: Possibly a shortened form of fanatic). See what I mean?

"The future's uncertain and the end is always near" --- Jim Morrison

"The more I know, the less I understand. All the things I thought I knew, I'm learning again" --- Don Henley

I guess that it comes to a point that if you don't agree with something someone else thinks is ok there are many more times in the bible that say we should keep our opinion to ourselves. That is unless it is a clear conscience matter. It is already pointed out that a C.O. was over reaching with his "Rules" and he lost his appointment. There is also the principle that we should not judge our Brothers. We would run the risk that we ourselves be judged as severely as we judge others. I do appreciate the point you have made in your posts. That being said I dont tell anyone in our hall what movies we go see.  Unless we know someone would appreciate a certain type of movie or other entertainment we do not bother asking. We appreciate jazz and blues and attend both the blues fest and jazz fest because of that. Others may take offence at that so we don't advertise that go at all. Its a personal decision and as such that is where it stays. What others think they know or think they should put on me is their problem. I protect thier concern by not talking about it. Its our business and no one else's period.   

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritadi

If all else fails --- Play Dead Possum Lodge Moto -- Red Green

The world brings things up to argue about just for the sake of arguing. We should bring things up to find out the the truth of a matter. 

In this case if it bothers you to watch such a movie thats fine don't watch it. That is your choice and I don't think anyone here has a problem with that. Its your prerogative. 

I for one do not think any less of someone for not wanting to do or watch something. What I don't expect or respect is when someone tries to put their ideas on me or someone else. 

The faithful slave has never come out and said that Science fiction should not be watched and it never will. Virtually all of the western movies my grandparents watched when I was a kid were way more violent than any of the scifi movies or shows I watch now.  

Like I said im sorry anyone has a problem with these movies and I sympathize with them.  What I don't respect is when someone makes a blanket statement and tries to pound others on the head with something that  they feel strongly about. That is not fair or needed. We come here to talk about all kinds of subject and if  everyone did that in every thread this site would fail rather rapidly. 

This is the last time I will start a thread on a movie. I dont want another thread to wind up like this one and ruin the fun others have with the subject. 

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritadi

If all else fails --- Play Dead Possum Lodge Moto -- Red Green