JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Star Wars Rogue One

2 hours ago, Greg Dent said:

The world brings things up to argue about just for the sake of arguing. We should bring things up to find out the the truth of a matter. 

In this case if it bothers you to watch such a movie thats fine don't watch it. That is your choice and I don't think anyone here has a problem with that. Its your prerogative. 

I for one do not think any less of someone for not wanting to do or watch something. What I don't expect or respect is when someone tries to put their ideas on me or someone else. 

The faithful slave has never come out and said that Science fiction should not be watched and it never will. Virtually all of the western movies my grandparents watched when I was a kid were way more violent than any of the scifi movies or shows I watch now.  

Like I said im sorry anyone has a problem with these movies and I sympathize with them.  What I don't respect is when someone makes a blanket statement and tries to pound others on the head with something that  they feel strongly about. That is not fair or needed. We come here to talk about all kinds of subject and if  everyone did that in every thread this site would fail rather rapidly. 

This is the last time I will start a thread on a movie. I dont want another thread to wind up like this one and ruin the fun others have with the subject. 

I feel you. Sometimes I question the point of the entire movies, music and books section. It seems it is never okay to discuss anything except for kingdom songs, JW broadcast and our publications sometimes.

I never recommend a Smurf movie to anyone, it can lead to a heated discussion in which someone will bring up a COs opinion and kill the discussion.  :pistols:

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

On 8/13/2016 at 5:22 PM, minister159 said:

Hate to be a killjoy but,

Famous last words...the conversation started going downhill from here.

BTW, I have all six movies in DVD.

I can understand you though.  I have some pretty strong opinions myself. (Just read my posts) :crackwhip:

Edited by leoperales

By the way this part of the forum is publically visible. Just wanted to point that out. Don't know if it's such a wise idea to carry out discussion about conscience matters that are conscience matters but that some refuse to accept they're conscience matters because they feel their conscience matters more yadda yadda yadda in here.

Nothing personal, really, but probably best to publish that kind of stuff elsewhere.

Edited by ChocoBro

• 3 months later...

Best Star Wars movie since Empire Strikes Back.  Easily my 3rd favorite Star Wars movie and better than the past 4. That is the pattern I'm seeing,  too.  If you were not a fan of the prequels or The Force Awakens,  you love this movie and vice versa. 

Yes,  it is a typical war movie in Star Wars clothing,  and that is OK.   Yes,  it is Star Wars version of "The Dirty Dozen" and that is OK,  too. 

I loved the CGI used to recreate Peter Cushing as Tarkin and Carrie Fisher as Leia.   Loved the inclusion of Red and Gold leaders. Loved how the end of this movie is minutes before the start of Episode IV. 

Hate the glaring plot hole about how Episode IV states SEVERAL transmissions were beamed to the ship by rebel spies yet Rogue One shows only 1 transmission. Hate how this movie contradicts the Star Wars radio drama on how Leia got the plans and joined the rebellion.   That radio drama is a great story and doesn't contradict the on screen evidence. 

But I don't mind.   This is how you do a prequel,  Mr.  Lucas. 

On 14/08/2016 at 8:22 AM, minister159 said:

Isaiah 2:4,

"He will render judgment among the nations
And set matters straight respecting many peoples.
They will beat their swords into plowshares
And their spears into pruning shears.
Nation will not lift up sword against nation,
Nor will they learn war anymore."

Hate to be a killjoy but, several years ago, we had a C.O. who asked the congregation if  true Christians should find it entertaining to watch "war movies," because the latest Star Wars movie was just released. As he said, "It's called Star WARS for a reason. Just because it's science fiction and takes place in outer space doesn't mean it's not a war movie."

I know this is a matter involving personal preference and there are no hard fast rules, in fact, some might say it's a conscience matter, even though we do have Bible principles to guide us when it comes to entertainment. So, is the new Star Wars movie appropriate or not? Is saying, "Well, it doesn't bother my conscience," good enough? I'm curious to hear your thoughts.

I love Star Wars ..but as I grow to hate violence it bothers me to see this movie .. I have changed .. what I loved before does not appeal to me any longer.

Its nicely packaged war movie. I don't like guns and weapons in the movies even if this is Star Wars ..

Boy o boy I will be stoned here....

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

4 hours ago, Gregexplore said:

I love Star Wars ..but as I grow to hate violence it bothers me to see this movie .. I have changed .. what I loved before does not appeal to me any longer.

Its nicely packaged war movie. I don't like guns and weapons in the movies even if this is Star Wars ..

Boy o boy I will be stoned here....

Nah you won't be stoned but pew..... pew pew. Boring conversation anyway. Shawn, we have company.... Lol.  Oops. 

On on a more serious note, I do understand how you feel Greg.

Edited by Mykyl

If you want to start a "discussion" you can do no better than to touch on a conscience  decision. Just think of the beards thread. The bible and the FDS highlight only the principles involved, but the thread lasted for many thousands of posts,  why, because so many persons wish to impose their understanding  of the scriptures on others.

The same is true when it comes to entertainment, after analysing the principles involved we all make our own decision, we do not have the right to make standards for anyone else. If we do then we become like the rabbis who read the principle of washing their hands before eating and condembed everone else because they didn't  wash up to the elbows. As a teenager I collected a number of clasical records, these included  operas by wagner, such as the flying dutchman. I was told by a brother that these where demonistic so I destroyed the whole collection. I later had a CO stay at my home who happened to have a favourate recording that he liked to listen to, quess whst it was. 

It does not belong to man who is walking even to direct his step :- Jer10:23.

Not a day goes by wherein the truth of this scripture is not reaffirmed

We saw it last night. I have seen the original three (the first movie I paid for, as my mom worked for a three-screen movie theater and I saw all movies there for free. Star Wars was in the new theater up the street) and loved them. Then I saw episode one, and never bothered with two or three. Last year I saw, what was it, episode five? I have obvious gaps in my understanding of the story line, and now want to see the missed episodes.

1 hour ago, Sylv said:

We saw it last night. I have seen the original three (the first movie I paid for, as my mom worked for a three-screen movie theater and I saw all movies there for free. Star Wars was in the new theater up the street) and loved them. Then I saw episode one, and never bothered with two or three. Last year I saw, what was it, episode five? I have obvious gaps in my understanding of the story line, and now want to see the missed episodes.

Last year was Episode VII (7)  Gaps in your understanding would have been memory.  You only needed to see Star Wars (A New Hope), Empire and Jedi in order to understand The Force Awakens.  The prequels can be completely ignored as they have no impact on the rest of the series.

3 hours ago, Hartley said:

If you want to start a "discussion" you can do no better than to touch on a conscience  decision.

We would like to reserve this topic to discuss specifically Rogue One.  A more appropriate place to discuss the conscience and the appropriateness of watching this or any other movie would be to discuss it in the Christian Life and Ministry section.   

I'm not squelching the discussion, just directing it to the appropriate forum section.  

47 minutes ago, Shawnster said:

Last year was Episode VII (7)  Gaps in your understanding would have been memory.  You only needed to see Star Wars (A New Hope), Empire and Jedi in order to understand The Force Awakens.  The prequels can be completely ignored as they have no impact on the rest of the series.

Good to know!

To get it all straight in my head:

Episode 3 Rouge One   (2016)

Episode 4 A New Hope   (1977)  The first  Star Wars Movie.

Episode 5 The Empire Strikes Back  (1980)

Episode 6 The Return of the Jedi  (1983)

Episode 7 The Force Awakens   (2015)

We cannot incite if we are not in sight.___Heb.10:24,25

1 hour ago, rocket said:

To get it all straight in my head:

Episode 3 Rouge One   (2016)

Episode 4 A New Hope   (1977)  The first  Star Wars Movie.

Episode 5 The Empire Strikes Back  (1980)

Episode 6 The Return of the Jedi  (1983)

Episode 7 The Force Awakens   (2015)

Rogue* One  is not part of the triple trilogies, but does take place before A New Hope. It's a stand-alone movie.

*Rogue, not Rouge, which is another word for "makeup, namely blusher" (Yes, I do work with trademarks, and that is how we would define these goods under the Canadian Trademarks Act  :D )

I saw it on Saturday - I thought it was fantastic!

And kudos to Michael Giacchino -- maestro composer.  He managed the soundtrack beautifully, with echoes of and "not quuiitee" musical cues and nods to the original Williams scores.  The end credits music... phrases of it brought tears to my eyes!

Excellent story and execution.  I'm looking forward to seeing it again!

21 hours ago, Shawnster said:

Yes,  it is a typical war movie in Star Wars clothing,  and that is OK.   Yes,  it is Star Wars version of "The Dirty Dozen" and that is OK,  too. 

You forgot to say, "In my opinion."

"The future's uncertain and the end is always near" --- Jim Morrison

"The more I know, the less I understand. All the things I thought I knew, I'm learning again" --- Don Henley

I have not watched the movie but it really shows how big organizations behind this movie think mostly about the profit.

Many movies these days are shot in native 3D rendering so when people go to cinema or buy 3D Blue ray they get the value of TRUE 3D rendering not just post production touch ups ... :(

Well big brand like that was shot in 2D and rendered into "fake" 3D ...   I am simply surprised. (Down Under for 3D version of the movie a person has to fork out around $45)

Martian was filmed with real 3D and looks really cool.

Edited by Gregexplore

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

Well, we  went to see it Friday. I spent a portion of it like any shoot 'em up movie. With my eyes closed, during the war part of the movie. I learned I could tell which way the battle was going by listening to the music. My husband said the special effects were pretty good. I liked some of the characters. 

We decided that it being a Star Wars movie, we got what we expected. War in the stars. Not my cup of tea. I don't  know what I expect anymore. 

As it is our one recreation, we will probably go to the next one. However...

I want to age without sharp corners, and have an obedient heart!