JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Cuba destroys a church and arrest pastors

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 3108 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Cuba is cracking down on churches they claim were not registered with the government. They blocked phone service while they tore down at least 2 churches and arrested or detained leaders of the churches. The church officials claim they were registered and had permits required even though the government states they were not.

The reports stated they had hoped with the new relationship with the U.S. they would be given more freedom than in the past but they claim the opposite has happened.

Pray for the brothers and sisters there.

http://www.breitbart.com/national-security/2016/01/12/government-destroys-evangelical-church-in-cuba/

One church.  Singular.  The article is about one church and not about Cuba cracking down on "all churches."   From the article:

14 y medio notes that the government has targeted the church since 2012, alleging a zoning violation involving the use of the premises for religious activity. In December, Camagüey’s planning board issued an order of demolition for the building, though Quezada denies that his family has violated any law by praying in the building.

It shouldn't be a surprise, since Cuba is still a Communist country.  Communism opposes religion.

This news article well illustrates our direction to not make contact with our brothers in Cuba even though many of us are free to travel there.

(Matthew 10:16) . . .so prove yourselves cautious as serpents and yet innocent as doves. . .

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

Sister Svetlana is correct from what I understand is that communist countries are religious but most choose one religion and approve only of that one. In the case of this particular situation in Cuba I saw another article stating Castro wants Cuba to be Catholic denomination and was highly appreciative of the visit from Pope Francis on many topics they agreed on and he was putting him in an elevated view because he was the catalyst for opening the relationship between Cuba and the U.S.

They only tore down one or two churches because there has been widespread protesting that caused the government to halt for now.

So that joker went and put the building up and ignored local bylaws. Then wonder why the government is targeting him? Moron. He deserves what he got.

As for our Brothers there they are going out in street witnessing. They meet in unmarked Kingdom halls and the Bethal is open but with no signage on it. Its hard for them to get work. I would love to hire brothers and sisters to take us on tours when we are there but we can't. I am sad about that.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritadi

If all else fails --- Play Dead Possum Lodge Moto -- Red Green

I think the only religion they recognize without question is the Russian Orthodox church isn't it?

Not necessarily. Communism dud not originate in Russia, even though the USSR was the most well known communist country.

Communism is officially atheist, regardless of what religions they tolerate

Bro Jerry ... you're so right, any contact we make with local brothers / sisters could end up causing them a lot of trouble...especially if the government is closely monitoring our fellow brethern's movements and/or actions.

Edited by dubois

The article brings out the dissident nature of the church thst was destroyed. The reaction of the government is not surprising.  This is a marked contrast to our brothers who are politicaly neutral,  do all they can to obey the law and do not engage in protests,  violent or otherwise. 

It does not belong to man who is walking even to direct his step :- Jer10:23.

Not a day goes by wherein the truth of this scripture is not reaffirmed

Hartley. You should change your avatar, being from Tasmania as you are. You :taz: you.

I know of some that took supplies, when vacationing,  to our brothers in Cuba, thus if cautious, it can be done.

Edited by pnutts

added info

Consciousness, that annoying time between naps! :sleeping: