JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Run android apps on your windows device

Just found out about a great app that allows to run my favorite android apps on my windows tablet - getting the best of both worlds :)

http://www.amiduos.com/

Review:http://www.laptopmag.com/reviews/software/amiduos

If you've ever wished you could try out Android apps on your Windows laptop or simply want access to your favorite messaging app while you work, AMIDuOS could be the perfect solution. A product of BIOS-maker American Megatrends (AMI), AMIDuOS runs Android 4.2.2 (Jelly Bean) in full screen or a window on your desktop, allowing you to take advantage of your large monitor, keyboard and other peripherals and quickly switch between Windows and Android. However, at $10 for a lifetime license, this software is more expensive than free emulators like BlueStacks and Andy. Is AMIDuOS worth the premium?

Although the installation isn't as dead simple as installing BlueStacks, once it's done, you can now run Android on Windows. And unlike BlueStacks, you get the full Android interface and experience. In fact, if you run AMIDuOS in full screen -- especially on a touch-screen Windows tablet or 2-in-1 laptop -- it feels like you've actually turned your laptop into an Android tablet, complete with the satisfying touch sounds when you tap anything or type on the on-screen keyboard. You can add widgets to any of the screens, group apps into folders, customize the home-screen wallpaper, see alerts in the notifications bar, pinch-and-zoom, and otherwise interact with AMIDuOS much like you would any Android device.

The Bottom Line:

These complaints aside, AMIDuOS' many configuration options and excellent performance make it one of the best Android emulators available today. And it's soon to get even better: AMI debuted the next version of DuOS at Mobile World Congress in March and, according to the company, an update to Android 5.0 Lollipop is due shortly(It's already updated). If you don't plan on using an Android emulator very often, however, you might want to go with a free alternative, such as Andy or Genymotion. They both have their drawbacks and don't perform as well as AMIDuOS in benchmarks or hands-on tests, but they also don't cost anything. If you want to regularly run Android alongside Windows, however, AMIDuOS' fast and reliable performance is worth the $10 (15 for the new Lollipop version) investment.

10 minutes ago, peper-eliot said:

Demands significant resources.... if you want to play with android on a windows tablet, I think a dual boot is a better solution.

Chinese manufacturers are kings in this little market (PIPO / CHUWI / ONDA / CUBE / TECLAST...)

10 minutes ago, peper-eliot said:

Demands significant resources.... if you want to play with android on a windows tablet, I think a dual boot is a better solution.

Chinese manufacturers are kings in this little market (PIPO / CHUWI / ONDA / CUBE / TECLAST...)

I don't want to play android games on windows (but if I wanted to play games, Windows has better ones ;) ) 

Just wanted to use my previously bought android app's on my windows tablet,  and did today is just great! I can use Windows 10 if I need a pc and android if I need a tablet (much more touch friendky). And I can alternate between the two on the fly, no need for complicated configurations... When on Android mode it's just like I'm using an android tablet... Every app I tried works like a charm ;) 

I will try this. I had BlueStacks and I did not like it at all.

I've left the world of Android and am very happy to be back in the world of Microsoft. However, there are a few apps I miss, but not many.

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

• 7 months later...

Trying this out on my Windows tablet.  I've opted for the Lite, Jellybean version.  I wanted to be able to use the Soundbox remote apps to control the media and timer features of the Soundbox app at the Kingdom Hall.  The apps are only available for Android and Apple, not Windows.  Then I remember this app was mentioned here.  Tried it, works great.