JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

In 29 years, mankinds problems will be solved

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2983 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

The people at Singularity University believe that technology will solve mankinds problems. Its head sees prosperous long-term prospects of mankind. Until then, the outlook is, however, bleak.

[...]

Today, the focus is no longer directed at the stars, but towards science-fiction scenarios here on earth: automated driving, artificial intelligence, medical progress and the digital revolution that will cause a sustained change within the economy and every individual aspect of society.

An event that will dramatically change mankind

The organization is named based on the so-called technological singularity. This usually refers to the point in time when artificial intelligence transcends human intelligence. From that point on, this intelligence, detached from a physical body, can not only conquer space, but independently create an even smarter artificial intelligence - the technological progress would accelerate to a degree mankind has never witnessed before.

[...]

He believes in a better world thanks to technology: "In ten years, we will have free educational tools that will provide better education than human teachers, said Nail. Human teachers would only be required to motivate students and explain the use of the tools.

http://www.welt.de/wirtschaft/webwelt/article152198869/In-29-Jahren-sind-die-Probleme-der-Menschheit-geloest.html

(only available in German)

The article goes on to list possibilities for medical scanners that can diagnose patients much faster and efficient than human doctors, that there will be no need for menial workes (and that therefore, there should be a minimum income guaranteed for everyone), there will be parking spaces for everyone due to super-efficient management of traffic (??) and that DNA tests will cost as little as a cent.

As is typical of such science-fictionesque, futurological prophecies of a better world without the need for Jehovah, the article hardly touches on the factor that has been contributing to a miserable life despite technology: human nature.

It does not go into how better technological standards will create a society where people care for each other, respect each other, respect themselves... nor how all this new technology will contribute to a safer society by means of a more efficient control grid, surveillance, financial monitoring, thought policing via these new "educational tools" and so forth.

I see so many news items and articles promoting more monitoring and surveillance, a cash-free future, more big data collection, more centralization of data, then they want to put an artificial intelligence at the top of the whole construct to make decisions for the world we live in and for society and so on and so forth that it really makes me wonder what kind of life we'd be living in ten years if Jehovah hasn't destroyed this system by then.

It makes me wonder if the signs and wonders in Matthew 24:24 (and other verses) maybe are speaking of all this technological wonderland they are creating.

For false Christs and false prophets will arise and will perform great signs and wonders so as to mislead, if possible, even the chosen ones

Sadly, I see many young brothers in particular that seem to clasping to the hope that mankind will somehow manage to create a better world, and that put a lot of hope in scientific and technological progress.

Edited by ChocoBro

deleted German text from quote

hmm  "medical scanners"  Star trek  

"It does not go into how better technological standards will create a society where people care for each other, respect each other, respect themselves... "

will not happen 

29 years and dramatically change mankind yeah right 

only if the new system is here 

8 minutes ago, bobby said:

29 years and dramatically change mankind yeah right 

only if the new system is here 

This statement coming from a brother wearing a federation uniform fills me with hope for said brothers that put a lot of devotion into technology :D

Wow!  When I read these sort of things, it makes me wonder at how Jehovah created our human brains to invent such fantastic things. There are so many good ideas, though they can't be successful in this system run by Satan.  Can't really fathom what we are going to fulfill in the new world, with pure knowledge and the backing of our Creator.

Meanwhile, let these idealists "dream on".  If they only listened they could see that all can be accomplished under Jehovah's new world, but then there is

2 Cor 4:4.

8 hours ago, ChocoBro said:

It makes me wonder if the signs and wonders in Matthew 24:24 (and other verses) maybe are speaking of all this technological wonderland they are creating.

Sadly, I see many young brothers in particular that seem to clasping to the hope that mankind will somehow manage to create a better world, and that put a lot of hope in scientific and technological progress.

Very interesting thought.  Actually,  as I read your post similar thoughts came to mind before I read your conclusion.  I had never thought of those things before.  It makes sense to me.

I can see some of the inventors of this world (so-called visionaries) actually being false prophets, and some leaders actually being false Christs.

Edited by Witness1970

Added last paragraph

18 minutes ago, Witness1970 said:

Very interesting thought.  Actually,  as I read your post similar thoughts came to mind before I read your conclusion.  I had never thought of those things before.  It makes sense to me.

I can see some of the inventors of this world (so-called visionaries) actually being false prophets, and some leaders actually being false Christs.

Well, in documentary style TV-shows in Germany, they keep referring to Ray Kurzweil and Michio Kaku as "the science-fiction prophets". Given that the world they propagate will not come to be, it is not a stretch to actually call them false prophets per se.

I think we need to be careful here to not delve deep into worldly debates and distractions that can undermine some people's faith (no kidding here). I've personally seen some gradually fall away from the truth after getting themselves involved in such debates instead of meditating on spiritual things and focusing  on the ministry.

paradise.eternity.glory

6 hours ago, JaZzJaCkRaBbiT said:

I think we need to be careful here to not delve deep into worldly debates and distractions that can undermine some people's faith (no kidding here). I've personally seen some gradually fall away from the truth after getting themselves involved in such debates instead of meditating on spiritual things and focusing  on the ministry.

I don't really know what you mean. The question of whether technology is a solution for mankinds problems has been the subject of numerous talks.