JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Solar panels..

Tortuga

I guess the situation has changed a lot since this topic was started seven years ago: Technology has improved considerably, prices of solar panels have decreased a lot and the cost of energy has sky-rocketed.

Last year we decided to install some solar panels. We have lots of sunlight in Spain from spring to fall, yet the cost of energy is determined by the price of gas, even if most of the energy is not produced by burning gas. With the war in Ukraine restricting the amount of gas that flows into Europe, prices have gone nuts. Our typical energy bill used to be between 60 and 90 euros a month, but last summer we were already paying 180 euros and growing.

In September we installed 9 solar panels (400w each) with microinverters. We paid some 7,000 euros for the whole project, including taxes and everything. Very far from the $35,000 estimate Shawn received some years ago. The panels are our property, they do not belong to any energy company. My energy bill has gone down to around 50 euros for the months of winter, and around 25 for March and April when days become noticeably longer. I expect to pay 0 during the summer.

If you add to that some tax advantages and a government grant we expect to receive, I think it has been a great investment that will pay for itself in just a couple years. Of course this is just the situation in Spain, things can be completely different elsewhere.

The next logical step would be to install a battery so that we can store the energy we produce and use it at night. But the battery market is not ready yet. Batteries are expensive and they have a relatively short-life. A very average battery right now costs at minimum 5000-6000 euros and it only lasts for seven or eight years. With the energy bill already quite cheap, by the time the battery wears out you haven't recovered your investment yet. Everybody is researching batteries and I am sure the technology will change a lot in the near future.

Have you installed panels or are thinking of installing them? What is your experience?

2 hours ago, carlos said:

The next logical step would be to install a battery so that we can store the energy we produce and use it at night. But the battery market is not ready yet. Batteries are expensive and they have a relatively short-life. A very average battery right now costs at minimum 5000-6000 euros and it only lasts for seven or eight years. With the energy bill already quite cheap, by the time the battery wears out you haven't recovered your investment yet. Everybody is researching batteries and I am sure the technology will change a lot in the near future

That's very true, the world of batteries is rapidly evolving

The thinking seems to be that lithium iron phosphate batteries (LiFePO4) last about 20 years, although they do drop to 80% capacity by that time. However, they are a bit expensive.

Of course, since they have not been in use for 20 years yet, no one really knows how long they actually last.

Edited by Qapla

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

• 5 months later...

Using solar panels and batteries is not much of a solution to the problem of environmental damage.  Mining the metals for the batteries damages the environment.

https://pulitzercenter.org/stories/investigating-rainforest-destruction-nickel-mines-clearing-indonesian-forests

Most of the electrical requirements in a house are for heating and cooling the house and hot water and refrigeration (food storage).  If you used a solar thermal system, you could easily provide heat for the house and provide hot water, thus reducing battery storage requirements.  Of course, I would prefer radiant floor heating, but I can settle for some forced air heating since retrofitting radiant floor heating would be a massive endeavor for a 74-year-old man.

Air Conditioning (cooling) and food storage refrigeration can be accomplished by absorption refrigeration methods using solar power as a power source.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Absorption_refrigerator

I have seen estimates as high as 80% of the total annual electrical requirements for a home being just these 4 things.  Heating a house, cooling a house, hot water for showering, and food storage refrigeration is estimated to take 80% of your total electrical bill.

Before I installed solar panels and batteries, I would first put in a solar thermal water heat system at least to heat the house and provide hot water.  The absorption refrigeration is somewhat more complex and would take more time.  But anything I can do to reduce the battery requirements would be beneficial for the environment.

25 minutes ago, Witness1970 said:

Most of the electrical requirements in a house are for heating and cooling the house and hot water and refrigeration (food storage).  If you used a solar thermal system, you could easily provide heat for the house and provide hot water, thus reducing battery storage requirements.  Of course, I would prefer radiant floor heating, but I can settle for some forced air heating since retrofitting radiant floor heating would be a massive endeavor for a 74-year-old man.

You look young for 74 😆

I have uploaded a PDF file with several different types of alternate energy.  It actually starts out with climate change.  

I tried 3 different ways, but I am not sure if any of them actually worked.

Edited by Witness1970

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone watch the TV show Engineering the future 

they did a part on putting solar panels in water 

floating solar panels in the ocean 

"Floating solar installations on the surface of the ocean present challenges, particularly from salt corrosion and marine fouling. Yet despite these challenges, they believe offshore floating panels will provide a large component of the energy mix for countries that have access to calm equatorial seas"