JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Issue with Samsung Galaxy Tab 3

Hi. I have a frustrating problem which I have not been able to get an answer to.

I have installed the JW LIbrary app on a friend's tablet, but the app lacks functionality, but worse, cannot access all publications. Has anyone else had/solved this issue?

Details are: 

Tablet: Samsung Galaxy Tab 3

OS version: 4.4.2 

Problem: After downloading and installing the app, there is no meeting menu option.
Also there is no facility to download latest publications. For example:
Watchtowers: Nothing after Public Edition no 4 or Study Edition Feb 2016
Awake: Nothing after no 1
Meeting Workbooks: Nothing after April 2016
Many other publications are missing from the various sections, although videos appear to be unaffected.
Can anyone advise please? 

try to update the app from the app store

try to restart the app several times while being connected to the internet

play with it ... it has to get normal, even though it will run slow anyway

" Indeed, what do you have that you did not receive ? "

9 hours ago, Eoin said:

Hi. I have a frustrating problem which I have not been able to get an answer to.

I have installed the JW LIbrary app on a friend's tablet, but the app lacks functionality, but worse, cannot access all publications. Has anyone else had/solved this issue?

Details are: 

Tablet: Samsung Galaxy Tab 3

OS version: 4.4.2 

Problem: After downloading and installing the app, there is no meeting menu option.
Also there is no facility to download latest publications. For example:
Watchtowers: Nothing after Public Edition no 4 or Study Edition Feb 2016
Awake: Nothing after no 1
Meeting Workbooks: Nothing after April 2016
Many other publications are missing from the various sections, although videos appear to be unaffected.
Can anyone advise please? 

It happened to me once, uninstall and install again. I think the problem is the app not the tablet.

2 hours ago, Andrejrulz said:

If you're not seeing the meetings tab and new publications that means that your app is outdated. Go to the play store and update JW Library

Sent from my LG Spirit 4G using Tapatalk

That's the problem. This a new download from playstore. I have installed it 3 times now. And since I posted, I have downloaded fresh to a new device and the problem persists. Both use Android ver 4. I daren't try it on a newer version of Android as I do not want to lose the functionality I have on other devices.

What I do notice is that the JW Library version downloaded to Android 4 is 1.6, whereas the one showing in Android 6 is ver 1.7.  It has to be a problem with the latest Library app version and/or Android version.

If your tab 3 is 10.1"  I would update to Lollipop (5.x). Not for faint of heart. I did this for my tab 3 10.1" and gave it to my mother-in-law who is technically challenged. She uses JW Lib all the time.  JW Lib works better.

Instructions to update are at link http://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-tab-10-1/development    

If ambitious there is now Marshmallow (6.x) new Alpha 3 at link http://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-tab-3/development-10/rom-cyanogenmod-13-0-t3342017

Consciousness, that annoying time between naps! :sleeping:

That's the problem. This a new download from playstore. I have installed it 3 times now. And since I posted, I have downloaded fresh to a new device and the problem persists. Both use Android ver 4. I daren't try it on a newer version of Android as I do not want to lose the functionality I have on other devices.

What I do notice is that the JW Library version downloaded to Android 4 is 1.6, whereas the one showing in Android 6 is ver 1.7.  It has to be a problem with the latest Library app version and/or Android version.

I would say that the app supports new functionalities only on Android 5.x or newer. They are doing the same with the windows app, limiting the support only to Windows 10.

What kind of functionalities do you have on Android 4.4 that you will loose with an upgrade to 5.x? I don't know of a such thing. In fact I have 6.0 on my tablet and I would never ever like to return to 4.x. In fact I am looking forward to installing Android Nougat a.k.a. Android 7.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I installed JWLIBRARY onto my Nexus 7 a few days ago and it was an old version with things missing. The next day it updated itself to the latest build.

The conclusion of the matter, everything having been heard, is: Fear the true God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole obligation of man. Ec 12:13

I also have Samsung Tab 3, it runs JW APP very well, as ChrisTheConfused said, maybe if you wait the update will happen. But if wait is the problema, format your tablet and try again.

But, before format your tablet, try to clean all cache and data from the app and then uninstall and install again. If doesn't work, format.

I downloaded the .apk file for JW Library 1.7.1 from http://jw-library.en.uptodown.com/android/download.

Installed without an issue and full functionality is restored to the app. 

I checked with other devices using Android 4.4 and found that they have JW Library 1.7 installed from an earlier date.

So it seems that  currently the Playstore is installing only JW Library 1.6  on these older Android devices??

Anyway, problem solved and thanks to all who responded. :)