JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Australian Census and Atheism.

So we are doing our 5 yearly census next Monday and there seems to be an issue doing the rounds about the religion question. 

The 'No Religion' option used to be at the bottom of the list with mainstream 'Christian' religions at the top.  This year, for the first time, the 'No Religion' option is at the top of the list which is causing huge controversy as most people seem to think that if they mark 'No Religion' it allows Muslims a way in and that we will end up with more Mosques being built and a chance of Islamic takeover. 

How they got to this line of reasoning beats me.  For me, the 'No Religion' option at the top of the list just goes to show what a godless, atheistic country Australia is becoming. It is my experience from the ministry, that the majority of people in this country view the Bible as a fairy story and the whole idea of a supreme creator as a fantasy.

Don't give up .. it's just around the corner.

Must be about New Zealand's turn too, they cancelled it one year because of the Christchurch Earthquakes - too many displace people and they didn't need the extra stress. Will be interesting to see how ours is formatted too.

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

Atheist are about 5% in US but no religion does not mean they are Atheist. It's really happening, many don't believe in their religion anymore while others have hard times dealing with ones they met in their church. (Just heard about those ones who go to church then talked very bitter) Its really a time for harvest. 

All glory and praises goes to Jehovah :) 

52 minutes ago, Alexa said:

Atheist are about 5% in US but no religion does not mean they are Atheist. It's really happening, many don't believe in their religion anymore while others have hard times dealing with ones they met in their church. (Just heard about those ones who go to church then talked very bitter) Its really a time for harvest. 

I agree that stating 'no religion' can be due to disillusionment with their religion but Americans have a much greater respect for God and the bible than Australians do. Unfortunately, that disillusionment can cause people to become  very cynical about god and become non-believers.  On our last census in 2011, 22.3%  marked 'no religion', an increase of 3.6% on the 2006 census. That is a lot of people in a population of what was a mere 21,507, 717 people at the time. It will be interesting to see what the result is this time with an additional 2.5 million people. 

5. What can we ask ourselves about our view of money and possessions?

5 Have we allowed the world’s view of money and possessions to affect us? We show what we really love by what we think about and what we do. Jesus explained this when he said: “Where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.” (Matthew 6:21) We need to ask ourselves what is most important to us. Do we spend a lot of time worrying about money, thinking about getting a better job, or trying to have a more comfortable way of life? Or do we try to live a simple life and focus on our relationship with Jehovah? (Matthew 6:22) Jesus said that if we focus on storing up “treasures on the earth,” we may lose our relationship with Jehovah.Matthew 6:19, 20, 24.

http://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/402014767

:encourage:

All glory and praises goes to Jehovah :) 

7 hours ago, Alexa said:

:encourage:

Alexa, I'm not sure why you have quoted that paragraph on this post about the census.  This is nothing to do with money and possessions or 'storing up treasures on earth'.  Is it that you think I'm not focussing on Jehovah?  I'm sorry, I'm confused.  

Just a heads up, the Census is Tuesday Aug 9.  Wouldn't want anyone to "miss" it, though you would be early if nothing else :).

The fine is quite big for every day after the cut-off date that it remains not submitted.

From the Census site: they may face a fine of up to $180 per day until the form is returned. In some cases, penalties can also include a criminal conviction for failure to complete and return a form when directed.

Like Joseph and Mary, we fill in our census form and are registered for "Caesar".  Except we don't have to travel too far! Just to our computers :)

36 minutes ago, hatcheckgirl said:

Just a heads up, the Census is Tuesday Aug 9.  Wouldn't want anyone to "miss" it, though you would be early if nothing else :).

The fine is quite big for every day after the cut-off date that it remains not submitted.

From the Census site: they may face a fine of up to $180 per day until the form is returned. In some cases, penalties can also include a criminal conviction for failure to complete and return a form when directed.

Like Joseph and Mary, we fill in our census form and are registered for "Caesar".  Except we don't have to travel too far! Just to our computers :)

Hahaha!!!! Yes, I realised after I posted it ... I thought Monday was the 9th, Lucy, after which I spent 30 minutes looking for my 'personal online code' which was sitting on the kitchen bench. Just a senior, blonde moment.  I have many these days.  :uhhuh:  I was reading about the penalties earlier today. The fine is ridiculous and apparently people are stressing about it being done online but can't can't get through to the ABS on the 'dedicated phone line' to get a physical form, because it is overloaded.  Will be interesting to see what happens on the night with people trying to fill in their forms online.  Hopefully the website will be able to cope. 

I am so glad we don't have to ride donkeys. They aren't very comfortable. :lol:

Edited by GeordieGirl

Left some off.

8 hours ago, Alexa said:

Many do but least to witnesses

Sent from my WV8-L using Tapatalk

Alexa - here in New Zealand and Australia (possibly many other countries too) we have to legally fill out a consensus survey ... all people in your home that night have fill out their details. It's required by law, and does not conflict with any scripture.  There is no choice.

Some in New Zealand hop on boats and go out past the 50 km limit (I think it is) so they don't have to fill them in. 

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

The UK had the census back in 2011.  I remember many brothers questioning the one about religion and said they would tick the "Other religion" box rather than Christian because they did not want to be mixed with Christendom.  I thought Jehovah's Witnesses are Christian, we are True Christians, so why not tick that box.  You can expect to have one box for True Christians and another for False Christians on a census form can you.  Anyway, the question was optional.

58 minutes ago, Jonathan77 said:

The UK had the census back in 2011.  I remember many brothers questioning the one about religion and said they would tick the "Other religion" box rather than Christian because they did not want to be mixed with Christendom.  I thought Jehovah's Witnesses are Christian, we are True Christians, so why not tick that box.  You can expect to have one box for True Christians and another for False Christians on a census form can you.  Anyway, the question was optional.

I think, (if my memory serves me properly, :uhhuh: ) we can actually write what religion we are on ours.

1 hour ago, GeordieGirl said:

I think, (if my memory serves me properly, :uhhuh: ) we can actually write what religion we are on ours.

Sorry to hear you have a bad memory and can't write.

here, just copy these letters

JEHOVAH WITNESS

I hope that helps...

:)

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

8 hours ago, Tortuga said:

JEHOVAH WITNESS

I hope that helps...

:raspberry: I'll buy an extra large wooden spoon! while I'm out shopping today.  Let me know your address and I'll send it asap!! 

I am surprised that there wasn't a box on the UK census form where you could write what particular religion you are, if you tick 'other' as I believe that there is that facility on ours. You don't just have to tick a 'Christian' box. :)

4 minutes ago, tekmantwo said:

Ahhh,

Got it...

Totally understood. ..

:poke:

She is so happy that she is going to send me a wooden spoon so I can still stir things up...:whistling:

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

On 05/08/2016 at 10:49 AM, Tortuga said:

She is so happy that she is going to send me a wooden spoon so I can still stir things up...:whistling:

:eek: No!!  the reason I am sending you a wooden spoon is because you are a general stirrer .. not so you can continue stirring me!!!!  :raspberry: 

On Friday, August 05, 2016 at 3:04 AM, Tortuga said:

JEHOVAH WITNESS

I hope that helps...

If you have really tiny writing ... you can actually squeeze in Isaiah 43:9 and 10 too!

We have it before us tonight...

The religion question, which is optional, lists 'No Religion' as noted, then Catholic, Anglican, Uniting Church, Presbyterian, Buddhism (surely that should be 'Buddhist'?), Islam (again, not in keeping, either 'Islamic' or 'Muslim'), Greek Orthodox, Baptist, Hinduism ('Hindu') and 'Other (please specify). And there's plenty of room to write in there 'Latter Day Saint' or similar.

Regarding the fines, the fine for not completing the form is virtually never applied, it's something around $1000. The $180 per day is for refusing to return the form on request, a small number of people - under 200 - were fined under that provision last time.

There is a widespread movement this time, with Government members publicly adding their voice, to not put names on the forms. The suggestion is that there will be more information gathered and used by the statisticians and government departments this time.

Questions relate to dwelling place, whether owned or rented, rent paid, marital and family ties, income and occupation, education level and whether or not the respondent is of aboriginal descent.