JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Geoffrey Jackson is no longer coming to Nigeria this month

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2816 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

I sensed the way brothers and sisters in my congregation murmured in disappointment when the letter was read today ... Last few months in this year, it was announced that a GB member Geoffrey Jackson will be doing a shepherding visit to Nigerian branch by first week of August 2016. All arrangements were being made for all congregations in Nigeria to benefit from his talk through transmission from the Nigeria branch to all possible Kingdom halls in Nigeria. Even some circuits that were supposed to attend their second circuit assembly this month had to adjust the date backwards and attended it in July... We were eagerly anticipating the special programme on Sunday 7/8/2016. We even announced the adjustment of our meeting time on Sunday so as to combine with a sister-congregation... Only to come today and hear it announced that he and his wife is not gonna come again this year due to some circumstances beyond their control. I KNOW THERE MUST BE A SERIOUS AND GENUINE REASON FOR THAT DECISION... SO I'M NOT WORRIED.

Sent from my TECNO_P5_PLUS using Tapatalk

A letter was sent from the branch office to have the decoder on and wait on Tues by 9:30 am. I waited patiently until past ten o clock when there was a live audio broadcast that "bro jackson visit has been cancelled and further information will be sent to congregations as soon as possible". The BOE couldn't believe it when i told them until they all received the letter in less than 2 hours.

Like you said there must be a genuine reason for the cancellation of his visit.

Hi Brother David,

In your post, did you know that you showed "love" for Brother Jackson even though you didn't see him? The reason I say this is because something important that defines love:

Love... believes all things.
(1 Corinthians 13:7)

People often get their feelings hurt quite easy when someone cancels, I think sometimes we are hurt because we feel that we must not be that important if the other person canceled,

"that brother/sister must want to do other things than visit me."

But this isn't the case in many instances, sometimes a family member becomes sick or other circumstances beyond their control affect their life and so they cannot make their commitment. I am sure most of us have sadly had to cancel a dinner invitation or some invitation because something important came up.  I know I have and I felt bad.

But David you showed a kindness, a love for Brother Jackson by believing him and that he would come if he could!

But obviously something important in his life happened. So if you hear any of the brothers/sisters being concerned or even critical about this news, help them by expressing your strong belief in Brother Jackson and reassure your brothers/sisters. For example, some may not know that just last year Brother Jackson had to leave his responsibilities to fly all the way to Australia because his father or mother was very sick. Maybe this has happened again now or maybe even a family member has died? 

*** cl chap. 30 p. 304 par. 12 “Go On Walking in Love” ***
We are not unduly suspicious of fellow believers, questioning their every motive.

Love helps us “to believe the best” about our brothers and to trust them

Edited by Beggar for the Spirit

"Create in me a pure heart, O God, And put within me a new spirit, a steadfast one" (PS 51:10)

With the cancellation of this visit and the announcement about the monthly broadcast for Nigeria in another post may indicate it has more to do with Nigeria then it does Br. Jackson. If that is the case, there may not be a "replacement" brother assigned if, for some reason, the Government of Nigeria played a role in both of these cancellations - of course, this is just speculation

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

9 hours ago, Beggar for the Spirit said:

. For example, some may not know that just last year Brother Jackson had to leave his responsibilities to fly all the way to Australia because his father or mother was very sick. Maybe this has happened again now or maybe even a family member has died? 

*** cl chap. 30 p. 304 par. 12 “Go On Walking in Love” ***
We are not unduly suspicious of fellow believers, questioning their every motive.

Love helps us “to believe the best” about our brothers and to trust them

That was for his father, who has since died..It was also during the Royal Commission  on Child Abuse and he took time from tending to his father to go and testify at the inquisition. ...What a wonderful man...full of love.

These brothers are really worthy of our double respect because like Paul, they do everything possible not to disappoint the friends.  We know if they had to cancell a visit it was for a very serious reason and we should pray for them and their wives.  We had Brother Flodin here with us in Paris for the special assembly 2016 and he explained that his sister had died the day before.  We were all deeply touched by the fact that he had stayed to teach us despite his grief and pain.  These brothers are really wonderful!  

17 hours ago, Beggar for the Spirit said:

For example, some may not know that just last year Brother Jackson had to leave his responsibilities to fly all the way to Australia because his father or mother was very sick. Maybe this has happened again now or maybe even a family member has died? 

May I ask why you think Bro.Jackson came to Australia because one of his parents was sick?

Don't give up .. it's just around the corner.

31 minutes ago, GeordieGirl said:

May I ask why you think Bro.Jackson came to Australia because one of his parents was sick?

That was discussed in several threads last year when he testified before the Royal Commission.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

Hi Sister Terri,

We learned around this time last year(July/Aug) that Bro.Jackson was going to testify before

the Royal Commission in Australia. He was already there in Australia to be with his sick father

but he made a sacrifice and went to testify. If I remember correctly, even 1 of the members of

the Royal Commission thanked Bro.Jackson for testifying as they recognized that he had a sick

family member.

"Create in me a pure heart, O God, And put within me a new spirit, a steadfast one" (PS 51:10)

8 hours ago, Tortuga said:

That was discussed in several threads last year when he testified before the Royal Commission.

That was before my time here.  I wasn't aware that he was already here at the time of the Royal Commission.  That would have been a very difficult time for him.

59 minutes ago, Beggar for the Spirit said:

Hi Sister Terri,

We learned around this time last year(July/Aug) that Bro.Jackson was going to testify before

the Royal Commission in Australia. He was already there in Australia to be with his sick father

but he made a sacrifice and went to testify. If I remember correctly, even 1 of the members of

the Royal Commission thanked Bro.Jackson for testifying as they recognized that he had a sick

family member.

Thank you for your answer, Brother Neil.  Somehow I missed the information that original reason he came to Australia was to visit his sick father. I thought he came specifically to testify at the Royal Commission, hence my question.

On 03/08/2016 at 9:02 PM, Teejay said:

A letter was sent from the branch office to have the decoder on and wait on Tues by 9:30 am. I waited patiently until past ten o clock when there was a live audio broadcast that "bro jackson visit has been cancelled and further information will be sent to congregations as soon as possible". The BOE couldn't believe it when i told them until they all received the letter in less than 2 hours.

Like you said there must be a genuine reason for the cancellation of his visit.

Actually it was in less than 2 minutes after the audio announcement was made. I was at the K/Hall as one of the technical crews and b4 i knew it within that less than 2 mins i check m y jw inbox and i saw the mail which enable me to inform my coordinator ASAP.