JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Watchtower January 2017

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2849 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

7 hours ago, thegreenjudy said:

If the cultural difference falls into Jehovahs standard of modesty (ie not wearing a suit or having a beard) there are no issues. But when they disagree with those standards we cannot use culture as an excuse.

That's precisely what I said.

The beard "issue" is a perfect example. There is nothing immodest about having one, and so in areas where it is culturally acceptable to have one, the brothers can and do. It does not mean we've "lowered" a standard.

Not wearing a suit is another perfect example, which is why I brought it up. There are territories where wearing a suit negatively affects our Kingdom preaching efforts, and so we don't wear one. It does not mean we've "lowered" a standard.

CarnivoreTalk.com - my health coaching website. youtube.png/@CarnivoreTalk - My latest YouTube project

well the thing is our standards should really not be lowered over time.

Beards and immodest clothing are two different things. Fun fact of the day: A lot of those tight suits were designed in fact by homosexual designers .. probably for a reason.

You have to remember that what's fine today might not be in ten years time. Beards and this type of clothing have this in common: they are fads.

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

Beards are a gift from Jehovah and is as natural as the hair on top of your head.  Beards are a fad only if you make it a fad.  It is just another one of those man wanting to have power and control over other men issues.  If Jehovah wanted men to grow beards he would have made hair grow on their faces.  If it does then it is from Jehovah.  It is only for reasons of not wanting to stumble others that more do not grow beards.

We cannot incite if we are not in sight.___Heb.10:24,25

On the first pages of the old Youth book (the red one), the illustration of young people show a sister wearing knee socks and a skirt definitely above her knees.  However, that WAS modest for 1976.

Fewer than five years later, any kind of skirt above the knees was definitely a "no-no" - at least in my Kingdom Hall.   It's interesting how fashion comes and goes..

4 hours ago, Dismal_Bliss said:

The beard "issue" is a perfect example. There is nothing immodest about having one, and so in areas where it is culturally acceptable to have one, the brothers can and do. It does not mean we've "lowered" a standard.

Not wearing a suit is another perfect example, which is why I brought it up. There are territories where wearing a suit negatively affects our Kingdom preaching efforts, and so we don't wear one. It does not mean we've "lowered" a standard.

maybe I misunderstood you - I thought you meant our standards of modesty can change with culture but then I went back to my post and saw that I quoted a brother about the beard issue. I didnt mean to say that beards are an issue but he kind of compared it to tight suits so I think a few things got muddled up here.

31 minutes ago, richietj77 said:

*starts to follow thread, comes in three days, thread is 10 pages long...* :beard::lol1:

Yup, Beard threads grow faster than my ...uh...beard.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

2 hours ago, Hope said:

On the first pages of the old Youth book (the red one), the illustration of young people show a sister wearing knee socks and a skirt definitely above her knees.  However, that WAS modest for 1976.

Fewer than five years later, any kind of skirt above the knees was definitely a "no-no" - at least in my Kingdom Hall.   It's interesting how fashion comes and goes..

lol - that would be modest these days as well. In fact in the 70's they told sisters not to wear long skirts so not to be confused as a hippy.

I think the organization has a lot higher standards these days when it comes to the pictures in the publication:D

13 hours ago, thegreenjudy said:

well the thing is our standards should really not be lowered over time.

Beards and immodest clothing are two different things. Fun fact of the day: A lot of those tight suits were designed in fact by homosexual designers .. probably for a reason.

So are tight dresses designed by non-heterosexual females?

31 minutes ago, thegreenjudy said:

I thought you meant our standards of modesty can change with culture

No, not at all. If that were the case, then we wouldn't have had that talk by Anthony Morris last year where he specifically mentioned tight suits on men and women wearing Spanx as outerwear. Both can be full body clothing, but definitely not modest.

CarnivoreTalk.com - my health coaching website. youtube.png/@CarnivoreTalk - My latest YouTube project

8 minutes ago, Hope said:

No.. probably by heterosexual females.  Women like to show off their goods..  :ph34r:

My friend told me that she heard that wearing a certain label of suits, not tight suits, just a certain label, marks the wearer as being homosexual. "All homosexuals know this" . However, if heterosexuals do not know this, what's the point?

pretty sure that's just a rumour..  "all" of anybody never know "this" - about anything. :) 

if we, as Christians, dress modestly and with soundness of mind and with a million photos of proper dress in our literature as reference, we'll really be okay.  regardless of what label of clothing we're wearing (as if anyone could see the label that's inside clothing)...

My friend told me that she heard that wearing a certain label of suits, not tight suits, just a certain label, marks the wearer as being homosexual. "All homosexuals know this" . However, if heterosexuals do not know this, what's the point?

People get strange ideas sometimes. I think I would just smile and back away from that conversation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dismal_Bliss

So true! :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

if we, as Christians, dress modestly and with soundness of mind and with a million photos of proper dress in our literature as reference, we'll really be okay.

Hope

As you know in some lands you can't wear as them in mind of "a million photos of proper dress in our literature as reference" because what is presentable in one place is not in other. Same is with the beard. IF in the land beard is acceptable and respected, brothers too are fine to wear beard as long as they look after them. No one can ever explain how can not be exemplary a brother with beard if in the land he is wearing beard is acceptable. :)

2 minutes ago, Zacchaeus The Short said:

Hope

As you know in some lands you can't wear as them in mind of "a million photos of proper dress in our literature as reference" because what is presentable in one place is not in other. Same is with the beard. IF in the land beard is acceptable and respected, brothers too are fine to wear beard as long as they look after them. No one can ever explain how can not be exemplary a brother with beard if in the land he is wearing beard is acceptable. :)

I was not referring to beards, brother.

I was speaking of modest, appropriate dress.

Aside from the beard and suit discussion, I found the delegating and training article to be very nice.

For one, they add many fears Elders or older ones may have when it comes to training and puts it next to the Bible's view. For example, one may feel that a younger brother won't do the work properly.

Yet the Bible answers that Jehovah will help them- giving a nice scripture, Ps 37:5  Commit your way to Jehovah; Rely on him, and he will act in your behalf.

Another interesting scripture they brought out was Luke 5:39, which says No one after drinking old wine wants new, for he says, ‘The old is nice.’  Some may find it difficult to keep up.

This article also mentions some great Bible examples and accounts. Though King David did not have the privilege of building the temple, and although Solomon was "young and inexperienced" David supported him and provided him all the tools he needed.

The account of Moses and how some men became prophets was very intriguing and one I wouldn't have picked. Moses was happy that Jehovah blessed others and not just him.

Jesus, too, mentioned to his disciples that the work they would do would be greater than his. He recognised his time limit and trained his disciples to handle the congregation and to boldly speak the good news. 

Then we have faithful Timothy- my role model. Paul entrusted Timothy with a lot of responsibility and because of that, rich blessings resulted.

This quote from that Watchtower perfectly sums the lessons to be learnt: "You older ones, equip younger ones to do what you do. You younger brothers, accept responsibility, be modest, and maintain a respectful attitude toward the older ones."

I learnt so much from this one article. Refreshed me spiritually for which I'm thankful of.

This is one of the best watchtower I´ve ever read.

Especially the articles about modesty. On the first article, the parag. 4,6-9,14 and 16 are helping me realise that I have to work on even harder on this quality.

I´m about to print thoses article and use them on my personal study today...

Wonderful articles.:wub:

1 minute ago, JJMS said:

Edited by JJMS

On October 3, 2016 at 5:44 PM, Tortuga said:

Check out the hair and the socks too...

I guess my cowlick is verboten...:D

Metro.JPG

LOL! :lol1::(    :lol1:

The Hebrew word cushi or kushi is an affectionate term generally used in the Bible to refer to a dark-skinned person of African descent.