JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Jonathan Butler song "I am That I am"

I was listening to IHeartRadio yesterday when this song came on by Jonathan Butler off his album, Free.

How cool is that?  And I find nothing wrong with the lyrics.  Maybe I've overlooked something.

Not had time to do any in-depth research on him yet.  I don't get the impression he is a Witness.  I could be wrong.

6 hours ago, Shawnster said:

I was listening to IHeartRadio yesterday when this song came on by Jonathan Butler off his album, Free.

How cool is that?  And I find nothing wrong with the lyrics.  Maybe I've overlooked something.

Not had time to do any in-depth research on him yet.  I don't get the impression he is a Witness.  I could be wrong.

Brother Shawn, like you I'd want this person to be a Jehovah's witness, but my gut feeling is that he's not, in fact its more than a gut feeling, it's his own wording.

If you go to jonathanbutler.com and read his piece on the Gospel section, his wording is more like a born again.

It would be his African roots that bring to him the name Jehovah ... if you do a youtube search it's quite common for Africans to use the name Jehovah, but sadly they still confuse it with Jesus.

Shame, on the surface he could well have been.

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

I've seen him in concert several times over the years (Capital Jazz Festivals) and have a few of his cd's.  He originally hails from RSA and, even though his repetoire is contemporary jazz, he likes to incorporate one or two gospel songs in his shows.  (Many artists of that genre do.)

Edited by Omo_Yeme

Driving down the street here locally, a nearby church sign read "There is only one God and his name is Jehovah". Some in Christendom understand that Jehovah is the name of the Father. Others incorrectly think it's the name of the Godhead. But in either case, it's still neat to see and hear other people acknowledge the Divine Name. Several protestant churches used to do so until the early 1900's. It seems that as Jehovah was gathering together his people, those in Babylon the Great began dropping their use of the divine name altogether.

Anyway, the song and the lyrics were beautiful. 

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

• 5 weeks later...

I am a huge Jonathan Butler fan, but I have to be careful. Since he became born again, he is mixing his music with 'gospel' music. Once I attended his concert and he started off the show with a 'devotion' song....and prayer......boy! wasn't it a downer for me, but he did a couple of numbers that I like. Lately he is becoming a bit more religious in his music...Been avoiding his 'worship music' and sticking to the old tunes... (sigh!)

That is a wonderful song - it's hard to find commercial Christian-ish songs that don't confuse Jesus and God. I wonder why so many people are now using Jehovah's name. It never used to be used commonly, in fact it was usually fought against. Now it's accepted as God's name.

I like Giants Fall by Francesca Battelisti - that only uses God