JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Fairy tales, dwarfs, elfs.... Etc etc

I used to enjoy Enid Blyton books during my childhood. They used to take me to a fairy land and i used to forget the big bad world.

I miss those moments.

Hope you all would have read fairy tales at some time or other.

Any of your favourite memories or books

associated with this ..?

Sent from my C6802 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
On Thursday, November 03, 2016 at 8:31 AM, Tortuga said:

"The Princess Bride" is a fairy tale. I like the book and the movie...

Aaaah but you write into the author to request the missing page from the book? It's just after they rolled down the hill after reuniting.  My friend wrote in and got  a letter from the author.

And yes I read all Enid Blyton's secret seven and famous five. Also as a child I had Enid Blyton's Treasury of Poetry and My sister had Enid Blyton's treasury of Fairytales. 

My fav fairy tale would be Snow White.

Edited by Stormswift

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

16 hours ago, dilip kumar said:

Yeah i am also felling the same. Want to read. But finding it hard to forget the outside world and get lost into the book world.

Sent from my LG-E988 using Tapatalk

Boy...I have 40something unread books on my bookshelf ! I will be lost for a long time LOL :help:

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

10 minutes ago, dilip kumar said:

40 fairy tale books bro?

Sent from my LG-E988 using Tapatalk

No I am not into fairy tales ... more like adventure, exploration type books

I have equivalent of Sherlock Holmes in polish language (17 volumes) very addictive books. 

Some books by Russian authors translated into polish ...  I need eternity to read them ALL ha ha ha :confused:

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

Lyon Sprague de Camp ? perhaps ... I enjoyed Lest Darkness Fall

When am I? Padway asked himself after the lightning-flash knocked him down. He knew where he was--Rome. He was there to study archaeology, and even though the lightning had left him dazed, he could see the familiar Roman buildings. But the buildings looked newer and the crowds in the street were wearing tunics, not suits! And a rich barnyard smell had replaced the gasoline-and-garlic aroma of modern Rome. So, when was he? And he was suddenly cold with fear of the answer...

94715.jpg

13 hours ago, Stormswift said:

Aaaah but you write into the author to request the missing page from the book? It's just after they rolled down the hill after reuniting.  My friend wrote in and got  a letter from the author.

And yes I read all Enid Blyton's secret seven and famous five. Also as a child I had Enid Blyton's Treasury of Poetry and My sister had Enid Blyton's treasury of Fairytales. 

My fav fairy tale would be Snow White.

I actually learnt english by reading Noddy books and then graduated to the Faraway Tree books which I enjoyed. I was a voracious reader in Germany and had read Robinson Crusoe and Around the world in 80 days before I came to Australia. Schooling was way more advanced in Germany. When I got to Australia I was put back a year and forced to print in pencil. Was also forced to write with my right hand. I had beautiful penmanship but it was beaten out of me.

On 11/3/2016 at 8:31 AM, Tortuga said:

"The Princess Bride" is a fairy tale. I like the book and the movie...

This has been one of my favourite books for years since I was 11 years old .. and a couple of years ago my local movie theater did a run of classic movies every Sunday night and this was one of first movies they showed - it sold out so quickly that I think they had to do a second showing later in the evening. 

Can I post a non-fairy tale suggestion? I absolutely loved the book Wet Desert by Gary Hansen. It was a real page turner:

Grant Stevens, a mid-level manager for the Bureau of Reclamation, only wanted to build dams. He never imagined he would be swept into a desperate race against an environmental terrorist bent on restoring the Colorado River by blowing up the dams. Left temporarily in charge of the Bureau, Grant must react when the first dam is attacked. He faces the unthinkable task of mitigating the massive flood roaring down the Colorado. The flood will eventually threaten the mighty Hoover Dam, and if Hoover fails, the other dams downstream will fall like dominos. Working with the FBI, Grant uses his engineering skills, river knowledge, and plenty of gut instinct in an attempt to outmaneuver the terrorist. The chase will lead all the way downstream to the Gulf of California in a cat and mouse game where the stakes are high and the potential for destruction is enormous.

On Sunday, November 13, 2016 at 9:24 PM, garryspicer said:

I actually learnt english by reading Noddy books and then graduated to the Faraway Tree books which I enjoyed. I was a voracious reader in Germany and had read Robinson Crusoe and Around the world in 80 days before I came to Australia. Schooling was way more advanced in Germany. When I got to Australia I was put back a year and forced to print in pencil. Was also forced to write with my right hand. I had beautiful penmanship but it was beaten out of me.

No brother it's still there, i know it is! I can't wait to see ones like you grow young and rediscover their beautiful gifts in the New System.

I love words, (ive lernt alot from Dallas) but I do, I really love to craft words like shaping a beautiful vessel. 

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

I loved poetry. We did not have much money when I was young. But we did have the How and Why library for young people. A really nice set of encyclodedias. Plus I had the full set of Nancy Drew mysteries! I look back and it was curious. I still love the the smell of new books. When I was a kid, I loved Rob White books. Amazon Adventure, Nile Adventure, Volcano Adventure, etc. Today, Clive Clussler. I have to be selective, but, it's a mental get-away. 

I want to age without sharp corners, and have an obedient heart!

I think you're a bit confused, Enid Blyton never wrote "fairy tales", did she? As far as I remember she was all about young detective stories.

In any case I used to love anything to do with fantasy, used to play a fantasy pen-and-paper role-playing-game and was totally into fantasy movies like Conan, Lord of the Rings, that kind of stuff. I read all Harry Potter books but stopped watching the movies at some point when I was studying.

Harry Potter, by the way, is literary garbage, poorly written and at some point the content becomes completely unsuitable for young children (yes, I know, adults the same but particularly young children). I can not understand how Harry Potter became part of school curriculum when there are fantasy epics out there that have far more cultural value, like "The Hobbit"

One of my former friend keeps inviting me back to a pen&paper session even stating he will stage a "no-magic" round especially for me because of my convictions, but I decide to steer clear of it nevertheless because it still has something to do with the occult.

I'm glad they started bringing up magic in season 2 of "Game of Thrones" because that made it far easier for me to avoid the show (it's a great TV show but full of violence and sex) back when I was still studying.

Thinking about it now, I don't have a problem with magic in actual "fairy tale" stories like Snow White or such. I only recently watched the movie with Julia Roberts. I should actually steer clear of that, too, considering the last mid-week-meeting.

I read to my kids. Poetry and stories. I am still getting rid of books. I went through  them, and there it was, "do not read this". I would go through the stories, and just did not not read ones that had any magic or occult leanings.   I, as a child, tended toward adventure and mystery. So, other then ones like Snow White, etc, even as a child, I avoided such. 

This newest plunge into Harry Potter, vampires, etc, I think is just Satan's ploy to capture young minds. Innocent stuff? I think not. The snips I see of what is out there is so ungodly. To me they are almost like horror shows. It is no wonder things absolutely horrible happen today. That is their entertainment. 

I want to age without sharp corners, and have an obedient heart!

On 11/19/2016 at 3:16 AM, ChocoBro said:

I think you're a bit confused, Enid Blyton never wrote "fairy tales", did she? As far as I remember she was all about young detective stories.

Enid Blyton was a wonderfully prolific writer with many different styles of writing, she was the writer of the Noddy series, the Magic Faraway Tree series and The Adventures of the Wishing Chair .. as well as the Famous Five and Secret Seven books ... as well as at least two different series of books based on two different girls boarding schools. And that is only a few of her works! I loved to read her books as a child and even now I enjoy re-reading some of the stories. I seem to recall she even wrote a few books based on the Bible, re-telling Bible stories for children.