JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Picnic foods for hot days, no food poisoning please!

Hi All! Needing some ideas for easy picnic foods for the upcoming hot weather - foods that can be eaten without worrying about refrigeration.  We had a muddle of a Spring for a season, and now it's predicted to be in the mid 30's by Saturday.  So no favourites like chicken, soft cheeses etc (been sick before so not going there again!)

Some ideas to start off:

Beef (or other) Jerky

Scotch eggs are reported to keep - they can be kept cool in a cooler and will last for a long time

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

Wow! I posted a long list of suggestions yesterday and today it disappears!  Anyway, all I can recall are the following:

Baked beans

Fried, curry or any type of flavorful rice

Hummus

Pasta salad

Deviled eggs

Vegetable tray with dip

Finger sandwiches (i.e. tuna or chicken salad)

For desserts: fruit salad or platter, sheet or round cakes

At our picnic venues, we have access to ovens which allows the friends to warm up the food.  In the alternative, a cooler would be best to preserve perishable food and/or to prevent spoilage.

Anyway, I hope the picnic goes well Lucy! :)

Edited by Omo_Yeme

• 2 weeks later...

Great topic, especially with all the get togethers and a recent new congregation welcoming party. 

We had an dear older sister who couldn't see too well, so she would gather everything up in the fridge from the past...who knows how long, mix it all together and serve at the park for the visiting speaker and the friends. Well everyone that ate the concoction ended up in the local clinic on Monday with severe food poisoning. A Brother took a plate home for the chickens...they ALL DIED.   :eek:

"Cough cough ... here is what my brothers and I do ... inject a watermelon with vodka or something more benign if you wish ... put it in a chilly bin (this is a bin that keeps things cool) with ice and when cut sprinkle with fresh mint.  If kids are involved - just ice and mint makes it more refreshing. 

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

On 11/2/2016 at 3:49 PM, hatcheckgirl said:

Hi All! Needing some ideas for easy picnic foods for the upcoming hot weather - foods that can be eaten without worrying about refrigeration.  We had a muddle of a Spring for a season, and now it's predicted to be in the mid 30's by Saturday.  So no favourites like chicken, soft cheeses etc (been sick before so not going there again!)

Some ideas to start off:

I went to a wedding a few years back,  it was quite the spread,  all kinds of stuff to eat,  live band, the works--including food poisoning. .

It took us a while before we figured out what it was,  everyone comparing notes. .And yes, the newly married couple spent their wedding night in the bathroom. 

Through sickness and health,  right? ....

Tip : if you go ANYWHERE where there is food, especially in the outdoors take with you a bottle of equal parts of Honey, vinegar and boiled water. Take some sips of this either prior or after you have eaten, or both to be on the safe side. The vinegar contains amino acids that turn the balance in your stomach to an alkaline environment which inhibits any growth of bacteriam that can cause damage like food poisoning ... mixed with honey which is a stomach soother this little gem is always with me in my first aid box, or if i leave town.

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

2 hours ago, Precision said:

Great topic, especially with all the get togethers and a recent new congregation welcoming party. 

We had an dear older sister who couldn't see too well, so she would gather everything up in the fridge from the past...who knows how long, mix it all together and serve at the park for the visiting speaker and the friends. Well everyone that ate the concoction ended up in the local clinic on Monday with severe food poisoning. A Brother took a plate home for the chickens...they ALL DIED.   :eek:

That's terrible!

I made a huge pot of clam chowder for a get together awhile back.. I couldn't find fresh Geoduck clams. So I used canned clams ,along with fresh cream, lots of bacon, red potatoes, and onions. I spent a fortune, it turned out really well, however instead of taking a catnap I went to sleep and left it out on the counter all night, The next morning the lid had raised up, bacteria set in and had to throw the whole batch out. Well at least no one got sick that Sunday...:cry:

1 hour ago, Stormswift said:

Tip : if you go ANYWHERE where there is food, especially in the outdoors take with you a bottle of equal parts of Honey, vinegar and boiled water. Take some sips of this either prior or after you have eaten, or both to be on the safe side. The vinegar contains amino acids that turn the balance in your stomach to an alkaline environment which inhibits any growth of bacteriam that can cause damage like food poisoning ... mixed with honey which is a stomach soother this little gem is always with me in my first aid box, or if i leave town.

That is a good tip Mandi,  I will suggest that to Denise. ..

So sad, Mike. I was salivating reading how yummy that was going to taste. Until the last part, Yuck!

Hate it when a whole pot is spoiled like that. Once I made the most delicious pasta ragu, the basil and garlic smell lingered in the air. It was going to be a great pasta sauce. But then a blowie landed in the pot when I lifted the lid to stir the sauce. Yuck! Just buzzed around doing backstroke until he died.

31 minutes ago, hatcheckgirl said:

But then a blowie landed in the pot when I lifted the lid to stir the sauce. Yuck! Just buzzed around doing backstroke until he died.

"...spit it out!!..spit it out!!..."

:lol:

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

Hey bro! Here in kiwiland we da marstas at doin' kiwi kai (food) in da open.  This is how wes do it in styleeee.

First we go for a midnight ride on da car and pick up all the stones that shine in da moonlite ... cors those are da bomb cousi, da bomb they don't explode under heat and they get reeealll hot. Then we dig a hole and bury our food, just like dis:

Then we go catch our seafood kai to go wif the ground cooked kai (called a hangi) and those white fellas they use surgical gloves to break open the kina mate, dozy peeps. Now we avoid gut poisoning by eatin'live food like them grubs  and top it off with a bowl of rotten corn mate - (already fermenting ya see so we beat the bugs to it). And we top it off with the Maori bread to soak up all the raw juices. Fresh as mate won't get better and then drink lotsa beer to kill any bad bugs.

download (2).jpeg

images (1).jpeg

p-5207-niwa.jpg

p-10076-pc.jpg

images (2).jpeg

Then we do the dancing mate ... now that scares away any bugs still lurkin'

images (3).jpeg

2 minutes ago, Stormswift said:

Hey bro! Here in kiwiland we da marstas at doin' kiwi kai (food) in da open.  This is how wes do it in styleeee.

Now that looks like some good grub!

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

First we go for a midnight ride on da car and pick up all the stones that shine in da moonlite ... cors those are da bomb cousi, da bomb they don't explode under heat and they get reeealll hot. Then we dig a hole and bury our food, just like dis:

Then we go catch our seafood kai to go wif the ground cooked kai (called a hangi) and those white fellas they use surgical gloves to break open the kina mate, dozy peeps. Now we avoid gut poisoning by eatin'live food like them grubs  and top it off with a bowl of rotten corn mate - (already fermenting ya see so we beat the bugs to it). And we top it off with the Maori bread to soak up all the raw juices. Fresh as mate won't get better and then drink lotsa beer to kill any bad bugs.

download (2).jpeg

images (1).jpeg
p-5207-niwa.jpg
p-10076-pc.jpg
images (2).jpeg
Then we do the dancing mate ... now that scares away any bugs still lurkin'
images (3).jpeg

This selfie sis Mandi :)

All glory and praises goes to Jehovah :)