JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

"Critical Times" by EK Johnathan (SPOILERS)

• 3 weeks later...

Oh, wow! I thoroughly enjoyed Critical Times, even more so than All Things New and that used to be my favorite! I appreciated how the characters were imperfect, but stuck to Jehovah in the end. I'm right in the middle of The Unrighteous so I have to avoid spoilers for it. EK is an excellent writer, I hope he continues to write into the new system.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not reading any spoilers but HOW COOL! A brother writing stories based off the Bible and the amazing hope we have!! I have to order these! Can someone tell me the proper order in which to read them? I'm going to order them on Amazon now! 

1 hour ago, Whitley M said:

I'm not reading any spoilers but HOW COOL! A brother writing stories based off the Bible and the amazing hope we have!! I have to order these! Can someone tell me the proper order in which to read them? I'm going to order them on Amazon now! 

The order really doesn't effect your experience because each is a separate story.

If you want to read them in Biblical order:

Critical Times covers the period toward the end of the Great Tribulation and just before, during and after Armageddon.

All Things New covers the period immediately following Armageddon (A-Day)

and what takes place in the early New System up to when the Resurrection begins taking place.

The Unrighteous takes place well into the New System, following the Resurrection of the righteous and going into the resurrection

of the unrighteous.  

You will enjoy Brother Jonathan's books immensely!

Don't forget to read Just See Yourself, written by another one of our talented brothers, Brother Walker.   ^_^

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

• 1 month later...
On Tuesday, December 06, 2016 at 10:26 AM, trottigy said:

I am 3/4 of the way thru and I have not read anything about a cry of peace and security. That seems to be a BIG missing piece. It should have happened at the beginning before the crack down of religion. Odd. 

There was a mention of it Jerry, which could be in line with the thinking that it is not going to be a cry as such ... but I think Sister Vernalee said a CO had told her that it could be just when they are saying it ... so there's an alternative scenrio which fits in with the story here. 

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

I've just finished Critical Times and starting on The UnRighteous. Have also read resurrection Day by Bill Underwood, that was fascinating, getting inside his mind (and his wife's apparently) from the angle of technology and scientific developments after the New System was fascinating. Also his well thought out processes to do with the resurrection and having  a resurrection centre in each region that caters for all those being resurrected from centuries earlier right down to Abel's time, without it being a culture shock when they return.

While we all know this is fiction and in my opinion at its best, any one of these scenrios or parts of could well play out, it definitely gives us a more tangible picture that covers points or gaps we may have had previously. If it plays out differently it can only be better with Jehovah's spirit.

And ahem .. Mr. Underwood covers beards and eating meat in a very unique thought provoking way. 

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Loving this one  - especially right here:

“You brought this on us!” he snarls, his voice powerful, dreadful. “You did it! But if you think you’re going to walk off of this ship alive, think again!” he screams. He curls over, reaching for something at his ankle, and comes up with a pistol in his hands.

“You’re a fool, Meade. You brought this on yourself! You thought… You thought you could fight against God!” I say, barely getting the words out before gasping for air. My body is pulled tight, the muscles stretched to their limit, my shoulders and neck burning with the strain. Meade pauses before pulling the gun to level, his white teeth grinning all the while as he brings the trigger to bear.

“I am god!” he hisses.

Just then, the room seems to float around us. Gravity disappears as the chasm beyond windows and the ocean below drop from view. Glass splinters tumble weightlessly in the air; papers and unused ammunition toss and bounce around us. The floor is once again beneath us, the normalcy of the room somewhat restored. 

Somehow, the aircraft carrier has righted itself. Meade’s shot misses, whizzing just inches from my head and ricocheting off the metal behind me. 

I close my eyes. There is no fear left. My mind flits through the images of the last days and weeks and months, and of all the emotions that run through me, I am left with a strong sense of gratitude. Gratitude that Amy will be safe, gratitude that at least I have peace of mind.

The pistol fires again, the deafening shot ringing out, echoing in my head. I open my eyes, ready to behold the wound, ready for death. Instead, I find myself surrounded by the cold crystal glow of an unnatural, blue light. Then I see its source.

There, close enough to reach out and touch, stands the large glowing man from the flight deck. His back is to me, his arms outstretched. Meade fires again, aiming for the man’s head. The rounds are absorbed as empty shells hit the ground. Meade curses loudly as he runs out of ammunition. He reaches for one of the rifles on the floor, but the blue figure is too quick. The sword of fire materializes instantly in his hands and he is upon Meade with electric speed. 

Agent Meade’s features sag for a moment, his grin becoming a howling, grotesque mask of anger and horror. He glows bright red for a second, and then vanishes.

I stand there, behind the figure, stunned and unable to move. Grey dust as fine as spring pollen swirls in the air and settles. The man turns to face me slowly.

“Luke,” he says, his voice low and strong.

“Yes?” I reply, more curious than fearful.

“What have you to say of this?”

“I… I… Thank you. Thank you for saving them. For saving Amy.”

“And you?”

“Me? I don’t know. What comes next? Will I be judged? I don’t know that I deserve any different from the soldiers on this ship.”

At once, the handcuffs snap open and clang to the floor. I collapse to my hands and knees, not daring to meet eyes with the creature. A large, warm hand rests on my shoulder and gently lifts me to my feet. Instantly, the pain in my leg and wrists fades.

“An interesting response.”

“I just know that… Whatever happens, I’m willing to accept it. I know Amy will be taken care of. She chose the right side. I’m… I’m so proud of her,” I say, my voice catching as tears well in my eyes. 

“And you–will you worship the true God, Jehovah?” he asks, eyes dancing like spinning diamonds in a blue flame.

“Yes. Of course! How could I ever choose anything else after all this?”

“By your faith, you live,” the man says, a gentle smile softening his features. I bow my head again, wanting to thank him, wanting to say so many things, but unable to through the powerful sobs and gasps for air. When I finally lift my head, I am alone

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....