JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Lobsters are considered an expensive menu item in New England, USA, where I previously lived.  Prior to our lifetimes, lobster was considered a mark of poverty or as a food for indentured servants or lower members of society in Maine, Massachusetts, and the Canadian Maritimes, and servants specified in employment agreements that they would not eat lobster more than twice per week. Lobster was also commonly served in prisons, much to the displeasure of inmates. American lobster was initially deemed worthy only of being used as fertilizer or fish bait, and until well into the 20th century, it was not viewed as more than a low-priced canned staple food.

Y (crab-walking)S

Edited by kejedo

Actually, YES, I did know that.

Something to go along with that, DYK - not only do lobsters eat the "crap of the ocean" (they are waste/carrion eaters) .... so are shrimp, crabs and a few other "delicacies" from the ocean.

Only Jehovah could make a creature that could eat the waste of others and turn it into such sweet, tasty food.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

6 hours ago, Qapla said:

Actually, YES, I did know that.

Something to go along with that, DYK - not only do lobsters eat the "crap of the ocean" (they are waste/carrion eaters) .... so are shrimp, crabs and a few other "delicacies" from the ocean.

Only Jehovah could make a creature that could eat the waste of others and turn it into such sweet, tasty food.

When I worked in a Chinese Restaurant, I learned the secret of making lobster sauce. The owner bought all the fish heads from the nearest grocery store and cooked it into a broth. 

Another Chinese restaurant secret: Real General Tso is coated with water chestnut flour.  I mean the chicken - never met the General himself.

Edited by kejedo

In 1943, Little Lulu was the advertising Cartoon-face for Kleenex and helped  popularize its use as a disposable handkerchief. Kimberly-Clark was established in the 1800s and made a different paper based product that was used for bandaging in WWI, et al. 

Edited by kejedo

10 hours ago, kejedo said:

Yesterday, I heard someone on TV say, "This could turn sinister." I  did not see a single left handed person in the following scene.

I had to look it up...:lol1:

sin·is·ter
adjective
giving the impression that something harmful or evil is happening or will happen.
"there was something sinister about that murmuring voice"
synonyms:    menacing, threatening, ominous, forbidding, baleful, frightening, alarming, disturbing, disquieting, dark, black; More
HERALDRY archaic
of, on, or toward the left-hand side (in a coat of arms, from the bearer's point of view, i.e., the right as it is depicted).

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

Strabismus=misaligned  eyes, aka cross-eyed. Descartes is said to have preferred women with strabismus.

It is believed that ancient Mayans held an object in front of their baby's face to promote strabismus. Also, upper class Mayans were reported to have a board presses upon their infant's  forehead to render it flattened. 

Edited by kejedo

On Tuesday, June 13, 2017 at 1:00 AM, Tortuga said:

I had to look it up...:lol1:

sin·is·ter
adjective
giving the impression that something harmful or evil is happening or will happen.
"there was something sinister about that murmuring voice"
synonyms:    menacing, threatening, ominous, forbidding, baleful, frightening, alarming, disturbing, disquieting, dark, black; More
HERALDRY archaic
of, on, or toward the left-hand side (in a coat of arms, from the bearer's point of view, i.e., the right as it is depicted).

In some sign languages the left side is for the devil, while you sign Jehovah to your right.

So, just think of how that works out for a guy who's name is Dexter Right (or maybe even, Wright)

Then again, there is the poor guy named Dexter Leftwich

Edited by Qapla

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~