JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Earth Overshoot Day

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2456 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

https://phys.org/news/2017-08-earth-resource-spent-august.html

If this happens at the six month mark, it means we've consumed enough for two earths.

This is sad news, but to be expected from a mankind removed from God and respect for his creation and the home he made for us.

Johan

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

Who determined the allowance?  

It's math. To maintain sustainability, mankind must adjust to what earth can offer. If they don't, this happens, and although the earth is fine at taking many punches, in the end we humans have put it on a downward spiral. Mankind does not respect God or the things he created.

Johan

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

https://www.newscientist.com/article/mg22029445-000-admit-it-we-cant-measure-our-ecological-footprint/

I fear the criticism is right. The footprint analysis does not really measure our overuse of the planet’s resources at all. If anything, it underestimates it.

The analysis tries to compare our demand for biological resources such as food, timber and fibres with the planet’s “biocapacity” – its ability to renew those resources. It does this by measuring the productive land and sea area available – cropland and pasture, forests and fishing grounds – and matching that against the demands placed on them. This biological accountancy system concludes that planet Earth has a biocapacity of 12 billion hectares, and a human demand equivalent to 18 billion hectares. Hence the 1.5 Earths figure. Our footprint is 50 per cent too big.

But dig into the numbers and problems quickly emerge. They begin with cropland and pasture, the two most important land categories for supplying food. GFN’s analysis finds that demand and biocapacity are in balance. Uncannily so, until you realise that it could not be otherwise. Cropland and pasture simply fill the land available.

I had assumed that the analysis assessed the damaging environmental consequences of how we use the land – things like soil erosion and the overuse of water reserves. But no. It only measures land area.

Wackernagel explains this in a response published alongside the Breakthrough analysis. “Local ecosystem abuse is a significant problem [but] to make reliable adjustments would require data sets that do not exist,” he writes. Or, as he told me: “Our current accounts cannot include soil erosion. Hence cropland use equals cropland availability.”

That is a problem. Certainly it is hard to see how the calculation measures the extent to which we are “drawing down local resource stocks”, as GFN claims. It is true that if we destroy soils, we will eventually have to abandon the land and chop down more forest. But until then, the analysis doesn’t account for our mismanagement. It looks like Breakthrough is right to argue that the footprints for croplands and pastures “say absolutely nothing about the sustainability of agriculture”.

This reminds me of a poem by Henry Gibson:

The Earth is Like a Tapestry

By Henry Gibson

The Earth is like a tapestry.

Where worn, we ought to mend it.

For no one knows which string, when pulled,

May suddenly just end it.

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back in my high school Ecology class, I came to realize that there are a lot more string pullers

than there are string menders, and that it would require some sort of Divine intervention to save this beautiful planet.

Four years later, Jehovah showed me the Truth, and Revelation 11:18

"But the nations became wrathful, and your own wrath came, and the appointed time came for the dead to be judged and to reward your slaves the prophets and the holy ones and those fearing your name, the small and the great, and to bring to ruin those ruining the earth.”

And I was able to heave a huge sigh of relief!^_^

Soon, very soon, the Earth will be able to heave a huge sigh of relief, too. :D

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

9 minutes ago, Friends just call me Ross said:

Four years later, Jehovah showed me the Truth, and Revelation 11:18

I like that scripture, because even thirty years ago, it would have been considered a metaphor.

How many scriptures out there will have their meaning revealed as time goes on, I wonder?

I like that scripture, because even thirty years ago, it would have been considered a metaphor.

How many scriptures out there will have their meaning revealed as time goes on, I wonder?
So True! And yet the World refuses to see
Reminds me of 2 Pet 3:3-5 ... The ridulars .. also, (for whatever their reason is...) They deliberately ignore .....
But for Jehovah's people.... I smile when I repeat Luke 21:28 .
But as these things start to occur, stand up straight and lift up your heads, because your deliverance is getting near.”

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

So True! And yet the World refuses to see
Reminds me of 2 Pet 3:3-5 ... The ridulars .. also, (for whatever their reason is...) They deliberately ignore .....
But for Jehovah's people.... I smile when I repeat Luke 21:28 .
But as these things start to occur, stand up straight and lift up your heads, because your deliverance is getting near.”

I think also of how loving Jehovah is when I read 2 Peter 3:9 ... Jehovah is not slow concerning his promise, as some people consider slowness, but he is patient with you because he does not desire anyone to be destroyed but desires all to attain to repentance.