JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Chinese Christian churches targeted in religious crackdown

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2195 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

"International Christian NGOs say there’s a renewed crackdown against religion in China. It follows a boom in people turning to Christianity - many of whom worship in illegal 'house churches' to evade authorities"

From SBS.com.au posted 1 August 2017 (this is an international news Rv station on Australia)

A fellow sister i was working with this morning mentioned this article asking if I had seen it. With all the attention on Russia & North Korea, it seems China actions may have slipped under the radar.

11 minutes ago, Antz12 said:

"International Christian NGOs say there’s a renewed crackdown against religion in China. It follows a boom in people turning to Christianity - many of whom worship in illegal 'house churches' to evade authorities"

From SBS.com.au posted 1 August 2017 (this is an international news Rv station on Australia)

A fellow sister i was working with this morning mentioned this article asking if I had seen it. With all the attention on Russia & North Korea, it seems China actions may have slipped under the radar.

It is a kindness to others to post a link to news stories when a new story is posted.

We cannot incite if we are not in sight.___Heb.10:24,25

It is a kindness to others to post a link to news stories when a new story is posted.

I'm so sorry, I can see that kindness. I'm sorry that I don't know how. I tried, by the link just gave me the website & no other details. I'm sorry this is new for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Perhaps I can help

Chinese Christian churches targeted in religious crackdown

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2017/08/01/chinese-christian-churches-targeted-religious-crackdown

“A few decades ago there was no such thing as a ‘house church.’ We had never even heard of Christianity. Now I believe there are thousands in this city alone,” says Pastor Xu.

And it’s this growth, says Bob Fu from the US-based NGO China Aid, which has caught the attention of the Chinese government.

“We definitely have been seeing a major deterioration and worsening. That has to do with the overall President Xi regime's hardening policy.”

According the official estimates there are about 23 to 30 million Protestant Christians in China, but Bob Fu believes there are up to 100 million unregistered believers.

17 hours ago, Antz12 said:

I'm so sorry, I can see that kindness. I'm sorry that I don't know how. I tried, by the link just gave me the website & no other details. I'm sorry this is new for me.

No sweat. Someone else posted the link. Thanks for telling us about it.

In the future -you can click in the address bar of the browser you are using and copy everything there (some will let you right click and select "select all" AND then click "copy"). You can then paste that into your post. :wave:

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

No sweat. Someone else posted the link. Thanks for telling us about it.

In the future -you can click in the address bar of the browser you are using and copy everything there (some will let you right click and select "select all" AND then click "copy"). You can then paste that into your post. :wave:

Thank you so much . That's very kind of you. I hope you don't mind I have saved your instructions for next time.

2 hours ago, rbrown1205 said:

Do we hear about the welfare of our brothers in China?

We just got an Instagram from my niece, a pioneer in China, that shows her at a Chinese convention. Where? She doesn't say. I was surprised she posted it.

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

48 minutes ago, Old said:

We just got an Instagram from my niece, a pioneer in China, that shows her at a Chinese convention. Where? She doesn't say. I was surprised she posted it.

It is very likely Hong Kong - That's the only opportunity for Brothers from the mainland to attend a proper Chinese convention. Hong Kong still enjoys religious freedom at the moment. 

We had videos in the 2015 and '16 conventions about how quickly our freedom can evaporate. We really need to come to grips mentally with this possibility and prepare physically. The GB has been stressing that we need to seriously  consider how quickly this can happen and have a family and congregation plan of action. Our congregation has updated our medical directives and our current addresses, phone numbers and our emergency contacts both locally and out-of-state. It will help us to react logically when/if we have an emergency. We were totally unprepared in 2013 when we had a major flood. Most people in our town were unaware that there was a problem but two mobile home parks were hit with a 20 foot wall of water. There were 5 families in our congregation who lost everything. We counted it as dress rehearsal for the GT. Our gobags are ready this time. We are much more aware of the suffering of our dear families world wide because we have electronic devices to inform us. For most of us, all we can do is pray for them and we certainly do.

• 7 months later...

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/12/world/asia/china-church-dynamite.html

I read something the other day asserting that China had banned 'Christian Activities', but the news source didn't seem reliable and there were no reliable sources to back it up. 

But, this from the NY Times shows Churches are really being attacked. a 'Mega Church' is demolished because it is 'unregistered'. 

Global Times, a state newspaper, described the building’s destruction as part of a “citywide campaign to remove illegal buildings,” and quoted an unidentified official as saying that the church had been “secretly” constructed without proper permits and was initially disguised as a warehouse.

Members of the megachurch, however, have previously clashed with the authorities, including in 2009 when the police confiscated Bibles and imprisoned several of the congregation’s leaders.

...the Chinese government has no respect for religious freedom or human rights...

Officially, Chinese citizens are free to practice the religion of their choice, but the government tightly controls spiritual life, and in some cases bans certain groups...