JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Countdown to the USA Eclipse on August 21st

18 minutes ago, Brother Jack said:

It is mentioned at Genesis 1:6,7. It was a "heavenly ocean" that may have protected the earth from too much of the suns rays. Interestingly, people started living shorter lives after the flood, when this water canopy burst. It's possible that we live shorter lives now because the sun is literally killing us and the air is not as rich in oxygen as it was before the flood when there might have been more atmospheric pressure due to the water canopy. 

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/2011205#h=14

I am reading Genisis 1:6,7 as I sit here and find no mention of a water canopy, or heavenly ocean. Which translation are you using?

'May have', 'possible', 'might', are suppositions, at the best a good guess. So it is a possibility that something, we are just guessing at, might be restored? As good of a supposition, or guess, as any I have heard lately, or another possibility could it be, or possibly might it be, that we don't know what we are talking about.:)

http://jwtalk.net/forums/topic/18249-the-water-canopy-a-question-with-no-real-answer-up-for-discussion/

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

1 hour ago, Friends just call me Ross said:

Forecast all week was for clouds and rain tomorrow,

and I had pretty much resigned myself to the idea of watching it on TV or my computer.

But the latest forecast is calling for a sunny day!!! Yaye!!!!!!

I just may get to use my $2.78 eclipse glasses after all. :Dglasses.jpg.0cb4401a47173b1231d9230f316f8c35.jpg

Are they 3D :lol2:

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

1 hour ago, Old said:

I am reading Genisis 1:6,7 as I sit here and find no mention of a water canopy, or heavenly ocean. Which translation are you using?

'May have', 'possible', 'might', are suppositions, at the best a good guess. So it is a possibility that something, we are just guessing at, might be restored? As good of a supposition, or guess, as any I have heard lately, or another possibility could it be, or possibly might it be, that we don't know what we are talking about.:)

http://jwtalk.net/forums/topic/18249-the-water-canopy-a-question-with-no-real-answer-up-for-discussion/

:eek:... Did you read paragraph 10 in the watchtower lesson that I pasted? It used the words "water canopy" and "heavenly ocean." Genesis 1:7 is pretty clear to me when it says "God divided the waters beneath the expanse from the waters above the expanse."  Also, the slave talks about the water canopy in this article and uses Genesis 1:6-8 to support it. Read the section about the second day  https://www.jw.org/en/publications/magazines/g201403/untold-story-of-creation/ The insight book also talks about it and uses the same scripture in paragraph 2 under water https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1200004582#h=3 

Since Jehovah created the earth to have a water canopy, I think it's reasonable to conclude that it will be restored.

The Hebrew word cushi or kushi is an affectionate term generally used in the Bible to refer to a dark-skinned person of African descent.

4 hours ago, SheyZ said:

Do they have the ISO stamp on it it a series of about 6 #'s?

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

Yes.  I already checked the approved eclipse glasses list, to make sure they were safe.:D

I just have to laugh every time I look at my eclipse glasses.599a43d6e6a53_YESGrinning.gif.ec38fc76a82cd19b96de66412f89340c.gif

Our town's little co-op store's shelves are often lacking food staples,

but, when everyone else was already sold out of eclipse glasses,

they made sure that they had some for sale.FAINT2221.GIF.6e3467e72ec5183eb8b296985b9eee22.GIF  

No bread or milk or eggs or butter. 599a44335c89e_Nogrinning.gif.6955a509c5c24e19c2cd120d7dcaa68a.gif 

But a plentiful supply of eclipse glasses?599a44778f4b8_Bateyessmirk.gif.6fd01bca121fa63ce41d04153b742b62.gif

599a445c71bf7_LaughingCrackup.gif.849fb798ad5f8f5fa5822b212e8045a5.gif

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

4 hours ago, Brother Jack said:

It is mentioned at Genesis 1:6,7. It was a "heavenly ocean" that may have protected the earth from too much of the suns rays. Interestingly, people started living shorter lives after the flood, when this water canopy burst. It's possible that we live shorter lives now because the sun is literally killing us and the air is not as rich in oxygen as it was before the flood when there might have been more atmospheric pressure due to the water canopy. 

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/2011205#h=14

Everything in red is supposition, it might be, it could be, it is possible, it is still supposition. You cited Scripture as your authority, but you lack Scripture. Genesis 1:6,7 just does not provide support for your statement.

Our publication often provides current thoughts on what may have happened, how it might have happened and they do not say the Genesis 1: 6,7 says what you allude to above. :)

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

In 1999 the western tip of England had totality and I had half-planned to travel there. Of course it poured down there! But it was clear where I was, c. 20 Miles south of London, and we saw a very nice 97%.

I had been planning what I would try to do since about 1974 when I saw a poster about the solar system and the eclipse while queueing for my lunch at school! That’s also when I decided it would be neat to memorise the order of the planets, MVEMJSUN(P). (This one fact will get you a job anywhere. Unemployed hate me.)

The conclusion of the matter, everything having been heard, is: Fear the true God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole obligation of man. Ec 12:13

11 hours ago, Friends just call me Ross said:

Forecast all week was for clouds and rain tomorrow,

and I had pretty much resigned myself to the idea of watching it on TV or my computer.

But the latest forecast is calling for a sunny day!!! Yaye!!!!!!

I just may get to use my $2.78 eclipse glasses after all. :Dglasses.jpg.0cb4401a47173b1231d9230f316f8c35.jpg

They should say ISO# 12312-2 if they are authentic.  If not you could wind up with permanent eye damage vision problems.  Permanent means until the end of this system of things.

5 hours ago, ChrisTheConfused said:

That’s also when I decided it would be neat to memorise the order of the planets, MVEMJSUN(P). (This one fact will get you a job anywhere. Unemployed hate me.)

Mother Very Thoughtfully Made A Jelly Sandwich Under No Protest - Robert Heinlein 

Edited by Tortuga
CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

5 minutes ago, Dove said:

What does the (P) stand for?

Pluto. Some scientists don't think it is a planet so Chris listed it as (P).

Edited by Tortuga
CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

16 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

Pluto. Some scientists don't think it is a planet so Chris listed it as (P).

Thank you :)

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..

1 hour ago, Friends just call me Ross said:

Erm...Shouldn't Thoughtfully be Eagerly?599afe00232bd_Winkwink.gif.ebb485168f24377176f2e8c2b755cf11.gif

Depends on if you say Earth or Terra.

Clear here on the coast until the eclipse caused the temperature to drop 7 degrees, which put it about 6 degrees below the dewpoint and as the birds went to bed, fog formed throughout the area. The fog was not thick enough to hurt the view. Watch for the diamond as the sun returns, that is absolutely stunning.

16 hours ago, Old said:

Everything in red is supposition, it might be, it could be, it is possible, it is still supposition. You cited Scripture as your authority, but you lack Scripture. Genesis 1:6,7 just does not provide support for your statement.

Our publication often provides current thoughts on what may have happened, how it might have happened and they do not say the Genesis 1: 6,7 says what you allude to above. :)

I simply cited the scripture to say that the water canopy existed, not to try to prove what I said about why the water canopy may have existed, it's affect on life expectancy and it's affects on our planet. That's why I put a period after the sentence where I stated it was mentioned in Genesis. People make suppositions on this site all the time. It may be a supposition, but it's my supposition. I didn't say you had to believe it. Don't you think you're nitpicking a little?

Edited by Brother Jack

The Hebrew word cushi or kushi is an affectionate term generally used in the Bible to refer to a dark-skinned person of African descent.

I was outside earlier today and my neighbor was looking up at the eclipse through a welders hand shield and said it was ok to look at the eclipse through it. I was tempted but I decided not to. It wasn't worth hurting my eyes. I later went to the store and couldn't believe how many people were looking at it with their bare eyes. I heard one guy ask a man who was looking at the sun with his bare eyes, "You're not scared?" The guy replied "I live my life right.  I have no reason to be scared." LOL!

14 minutes ago, Brother Jack said:

I was outside earlier today and my neighbor was looking up at the eclipse through a welders hand shield and said it was ok to look at the eclipse through it. I was tempted but I decided not to. It wasn't worth hurting my eyes. I later went to the store and couldn't believe how many people were looking at it with their bare eyes. I heard one guy ask a man who was looking at the sun with his bare eyes, "You're not scared?" The guy replied "I live my life right.  I have no reason to be scared." LOL!

Ages ago my dad recalled smoking a piece of glass (reread that!) so he could look at a partial eclipse. A coworker wanted a look and promptly wiped the smoke off and held it up. 

(Emma just wound me up saying that she can’t watch the eclipse on TV because she hasn’t got the special glasses.)

The conclusion of the matter, everything having been heard, is: Fear the true God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole obligation of man. Ec 12:13

I've always loved and never stop being in awe of Jehovah's creations, and it was no different today experiencing the eclipse.

But after reading the special circumstances that allow this phenomenon to occur only to our solar system and only observed from our planet, and also because of the particular size and distance from the earth of each of these celestial bodies, it was all the more awe-inspiring and definitely no coincidence or accident that makes it possible..

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2017/08/20/are-solar-eclipses-proof-god.html

Edited by Dove

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..

The tweet was a few hours before the eclipse. Marques has wisely decided to delete it.

I’m sayin’ nuffing!

C42E0778-6FD1-4A26-94FF-0887243743C7.thumb.png.41e11bab8387e5fad386456bd4c0e855.png