JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Countdown to the USA Eclipse on August 21st

23 minutes ago, Dove said:

I've always loved and never stop being in awe of Jehovah's creations, and it was no different today experiencing the eclipse.

But after reading the special circumstances that allow this phenomenon to occur only to our solar system and only observed from our planet, and also because of the particular size and distance from the earth of each of these celestial bodies, it was all the more awe-inspiring and definitely no coincidence or accident that makes it possible..

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2017/08/20/are-solar-eclipses-proof-god.html

Love this part, especially:

It may be true that seeing a Grand Designer behind these breath-taking events

requires what we call a leap of faith; but it may also be true that seeing mere coincidence behind them

requires an even greater leap of faith.

:D

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

On 8/17/2017 at 7:49 AM, Witness1970 said:

In 1984 I lived at 33.2782° N, 86.3550° W.  There was a solar eclipse on May 30 of that year.  I thought of it as a total solar eclipse but it was actually an annular solar eclipse.  The moon was farther from the Earth at that time due to its elliptical orbit.  The disc of the moon almost completely covered the disc of the sun, but not quite.  This path of the solar eclipse was from New Orleans through Mississippi, central Alabama, north central Georgia, South Carolina and North Carolina.  The 2017 solar eclipse is supposed to be a total eclipse and the path will cross the entire United States.

In 1984 I used a coat hanger to hold a piece of paper with a pin hole through it.  I had a second-floor deck on the back of my house.  I mounted the coat hanger on the back deck. (Fancy way of saying I stuck the straight end of the coat hanger in the wooden deck railing) and set up a mirror to reflect the image through a sliding glass door on my daughter's  bedroom wall.  I also borrowed two pieces of welding glass from work.  ( They allowed us to borrow items from the warehouse if we signed for them.  I was working nights and went home to view the eclipse that day.  The reflection on my daughter's wall was viewable but the view through the two pieces of welding glass was better.  I used two pieces because I had found out what was required for safety and those two added up to exactly what was needed.

I now live at 33.8943° N, 83.9557° W.  We will get about 98% eclipse from our area.  I considered going to a location that would give me a 100% view but decided long ago that the traffic would be awful.  I can once again watch the eclipse from my back deck.  This time using a mirror to reflect the eclipse on a bedroom wall is not an option.  I do not have access to welding glass as I did before and I did not purchase the required glasses for viewing.  I will probably build a box that I can use for a viewer, with a pinhole on one side and a viewing port on the other side.  (That is a simplified description of the viewing box.)

In 1984 it was a clear sky for the eclipse in the area where I live.  The weather forecast looks promising for this year.

My son left Saturday morning to go somewhere to view the totality.  I asked him if it was worth the effort and he said it was 100% worth it.  I was more impressed by the eclipse in 1984 than I was with this one.  I guess having the welding glass to view it was worth it.  In 2024, there will be a total eclipse that will cross part of the United States from Texas up through several states and ending in New York.  I may travel to a place where I can view the totality.  

Being in central Oregon, with so many visitors from all over, our congregation did cart witnessing from 8-8. I am looking forward to hearing of any experiences. We had a good one my step-mom and my sons were working the cart at the park and taking turns walking thru town. As we were about finished a woman came up and said she wanted to give us 4 yogurt shakes. She admired the work we do (as a group) and said she had seen ones from our group at the cart all day with smiles and showing respect to all people. The yogurt shop she works at, I believe is owned by her daughter, and she even said that they don't mind staying open late for us (memorial, students first talk) because they appreciate the support the friends give.

As for as the eclipse my husband got some great pictures. Here are just a few.

IMG_5871b.jpg

IMG_5872a.JPG

I remember the last full solar Eclipse we had was in the 90s. I was on holiday and I remember closing all the curtains and watching it on t.v. We not too long back had another type of eclipse here, either last year or a few months ago. When it happend the heat from the sun and then the sudden drop in temperature when the moon passed over was insane. 

I watched the US Eclipse we just had on t.v live.

Okay, we may have a problem here.

Yesterday the moon slipped in front of the sun, as we were told it would. Everything went dark.

Um...shouldn't it have reappeared by now? Is anyone else experiencing these difficulties?

Image may contain: night and sky

Author of two ebooks and print, one on the opposition to the kingdom work in Russia, and one on the opposition in Western lands. Search: Tom Harley on Kindle and other ebook retailers.

On 8/21/2017 at 1:56 AM, Witness1970 said:

I don't mind using the words, "water canopy" for what the Bible calls the 'Waters above the expanse', but I really don't know what that means.  It may be far into the future before we know exactly what it all means. 

If there was a water canopy "above the expanse" it would be way out beyond the 'luminaries' or 'lights' according to Genesis 1:8, 14 as these luminaries were in the expanse. Genesis1:8 "God called the expanse Heaven." 14 "Then God said: “Let there be luminaries (possibly stars?) in the expanse of the heavens..."

I agree we are still awaiting accurate knowledge in this case. Where did the water come from and where did it go? I don't know.

I I dislike the term 'water canopy.' It isn't in the scriptures and we never talk about clouds as a water canopy (which is what clouds are.)

'Water canopy' was a term coined by fundamentalist as a simple way to explain where the flood waters came from; it also solved the dinosaur question. They had no understanding of physical laws.

Scientifically it doesn't make sense, which is why I refer to the flood as a miracle, miracles do not have to make sense.

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

2 hours ago, TrueTomHarley said:

Yesterday the moon slipped in front of the sun, as we were told it would. Everything went dark.

Um...shouldn't it have reappeared by now? Is anyone else experiencing these difficulties?

Did somebody forget to wear their exclipse glasses? 599ce16a860aa_Bateyessmirk.gif.4f8d962564a488673d31524299d6f707.gif

giphy-44.gif?w=432&h=314

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

3 hours ago, Sandyds61 said:

Being in central Oregon, with so many visitors from all over, our congregation did cart witnessing from 8-8. I am looking forward to hearing of any experiences. We had a good one my step-mom and my sons were working the cart at the park and taking turns walking thru town. As we were about finished a woman came up and said she wanted to give us 4 yogurt shakes. She admired the work we do (as a group) and said she had seen ones from our group at the cart all day with smiles and showing respect to all people. The yogurt shop she works at, I believe is owned by her daughter, and she even said that they don't mind staying open late for us (memorial, students first talk) because they appreciate the support the friends give.

As for as the eclipse my husband got some great pictures. Here are just a few.

599ce25f9d5bf_Woweyes.gif.03e19b7f0de58cd0d9556c1b61bef308.gif

Awesome pics, Sister Sandy!!!Clapping.gif.fa53443ef6186c18b49fc3fc958da61e.gif

599ce21b3a014_Awesomesparkling.gif.56189f31e187ac8c0c34410e0411be24.gif

Your husband is very talented. yes.gif.c4b8996057f1dadc05a0e838a580caf9.gif

Thanks for sharing!!!  Highfives.gif.2e6eccfa37733406aabc8bcf30b4f814.gif

8 hours ago, Old said:

If there was a water canopy "above the expanse" it would be way out beyond the 'luminaries' or 'lights' according to Genesis 1:8, 14 as these luminaries were in the expanse. Genesis1:8 "God called the expanse Heaven." 14 "Then God said: “Let there be luminaries (possibly stars?) in the expanse of the heavens..."

I agree we are still awaiting accurate knowledge in this case. Where did the water come from and where did it go? I don't know.

I I dislike the term 'water canopy.' It isn't in the scriptures and we never talk about clouds as a water canopy (which is what clouds are.)

'Water canopy' was a term coined by fundamentalist as a simple way to explain where the flood waters came from; it also solved the dinosaur question. They had no understanding of physical laws.

Scientifically it doesn't make sense, which is why I refer to the flood as a miracle, miracles do not have to make sense.

I always just thought of luminaries in the expanse to mean that the luminaries were visible within the Earth's atmosphere.  Genesis 1:20 says, "and let flying creatures fly above the earth across the expanse of the heavens".  Birds fly within the atmosphere.  The "luminaries" were there for billions of years but they were not visible within the atmosphere of the Earth until the 4th creative day, whenever that was.

In Genesis 31:7-13, Jacob was given a lesson about goats.  Jehovah obviously could not explain DNA as we know it to Jacob but he showed him what Jacob would be able to understand.  Jehovah has no limits on his knowledge but there are limits on what humans can understand.  Jehovah gives instructions based on our ability to understand.  

I understand your view but I am just trying to make sense of all of this in my own mind.

The Aug. 21st eclipse was visible from northern Spain, but only as a shallow partial eclipse starting around 25 minutes before sunset," says photographer Diego González. "It wasn't the same as totality, but it was still beautiful."

spain_strip.png.1b2c4911ad781e2f091e740a9b10ad9b.png

http://spaceweather.com

On 23/08/2017 at 0:21 AM, TrueTomHarley said:

Image may contain: night and sky

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

The conclusion of the matter, everything having been heard, is: Fear the true God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole obligation of man. Ec 12:13