JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Home security cameras

I'm thinking of getting a security camera to record the front yard and street area. I haven't decided what type of camera or the features that I want. Does anyone have any information about security cameras?

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

If I had to get one I would get something like that (allows 2 years of recording and 30m night vision)

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/computers-tablets/smart-home/swann/swann-swdvk-845808-full-hd-security-system-with-1tb-hdd-8-x-1080p-thermal-sensin/618898/

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

That's very expensive.  I don't think I want a full system like that. I'll probably start with one camera that is either wifi or has an SD card.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

I have a "Ring" doorbell.  It records both motion and has the ability to talk to someone at the door that rings it, even if you are not home.  It's not really a security camera but it works as one.  The range is adjustable from 180 degrees down to about 45.  You can also adjust the distance from about 60 feet to around 10.  It keeps the recordings on a cloud for I think $15 a year.  Super easy to install. Check out the reviews on Amazon.

Baseball is in the Bible... Gen 1:1 "In the big inning".

I was thinking about the Ring, I've seen a lot of them in service and a few of them have seen me...:)

I'd like a camera that does continuous recording, so if my truck is broken into in the middle of the night I can view the video.

Edited by Tortuga

7 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

I was thinking about the Ring, I've seen a lot of them in service and a few of them have seen me...:)

But now you have come back and We can see you! 

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

I have a full surveillance system at my house. I live in a high crime area. I have a 4-Channel bullet camera system from Defender USA. It offers continuous coverage and motion alerts. The cameras are weather resistant and have night vision. I purchased the entire system for $231 and I installed them myself. 

The DVR is 1TB storage and the system allows mobile viewing using their app.

Edited by leoperales

We had Simply Safe home security added this year and are still looking for video surveillance, they don't have one they recommend. I like the looks of the Defender. 

How user friendly is it? I'm not inept but no pro either. How easy is it to go back and look? How long do the recordings last? 

Never mind me, I could call them tomorrow, just late night rambling.

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

48 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

Thanks, I looked at their website. It looks interesting. 

Eric and Michelle have some cameras set up around their property,  especially the grow rooms. I saw her access the front yard camera with her phone, the camera has night vision capability and it seemed like it wouldn't break the bank. Imma shoot her a text real qwik, she probably working. ..

A simple security camera such as a light bulb in your front door porch  light or inside your home will cost approx. $70 on Amazon and rotates 360 degree, has an alarm set up for motion detection and will accept a 128 gb  sd card that will last a week or more. You can view from your smartphone and set up with your home Wi-Fi and view from other Wi-Fi when out of area on your smartphone. 

It's fun to play with and you can have the light turn on automatically as the day gets darker or manually adjust yourself, you can also speak through a Mic on your phone that will reach anyone near the the lightbulb. I talked to my dog and he was looking all over for me, I did feel  bad afterward. Lol

Late night rambling too. The turtle is worried about catching a car burglar. 

You'll need to place a camera up high enough where the burglar won't unplug or break the camera. Also, although night vision does work, it still records kind of fuzzy, so you'll want to be sure you also have direct light shining towards your vehicle. 

The doorbell cameras like Ring and Nest are good, but the angle of it in comparison to the vehicle may not be adequate. 

Here's a screenshot of my cameras, so you'll see what I mean. In my setup, I have two vantage points to my driveway. 

https://goo.gl/photos/mivwkG4P873yjyGDA

7 hours ago, leoperales said:

Late night rambling too. The turtle is worried about catching a car burglar. 

You'll need to place a camera up high enough where the burglar won't unplug or break the camera. Also, although night vision does work, it still records kind of fuzzy, so you'll want to be sure you also have direct light shining towards your vehicle. 

The doorbell cameras like Ring and Nest are good, but the angle of it in comparison to the vehicle may not be adequate. 

I see what you mean. 

I see the advantages of wireless cameras but it looks like there are more advantages with a camera that is hard wired and installed at a high point.

Trying a different approach. A little device that Amazon sells for $30 called FakeTV.  Auto on at dark and sets to run 4 or 7 hrs. Also a couple fake security cameras, and a little Beagle in the yard. Total cost around $50 plus a bit of dog food, not to mention we can pet and hug the barking alarm. Living on SS dictates innovation. 

The Bible is what very few want to hear but it's the message that everyone is looking for (Prov. 1:20-23 & 3:5,6).

Tree cameras like hunters use also work. They do not take moving pictures but they are motion activated.

Unless you live in an area where hunting is common, most people never even notice a tree camera.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

11 hours ago, tekmantwo said:

Eric and Michelle have some cameras set up around their property,  especially the grow rooms. I saw her access the front yard camera with her phone, the camera has night vision capability and it seemed like it wouldn't break the bank. Imma shoot her a text real qwik, she probably working. ..

The grow rooms in our area of Oregon are protected by electric fences and guard dogs. :D

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

I was looking at tree cameras the other day. Interesting idea.

Edited by Tortuga

20 minutes ago, Old said:

The grow rooms in our area of Oregon are protected by electric fences and guard dogs. :D

Uuuuu, I like the idea of electric fences! I've booby trapped my backyard with camouflaged boards with nails sticking up out by where thiefs have jumped the fence. 

38 minutes ago, leoperales said:

Uuuuu, I like the idea of electric fences! I've booby trapped my backyard with camouflaged boards with nails sticking up out by where thiefs have jumped the fence. 

Ouch, that sounds like a liability issue...:eek:

Yes, in most states, even if you put up warning signs,if you place a deterent that causes injury, even though the theif is doing something wrong, YOU will get prosecuted for injuring them

27 minutes ago, Qapla said:

Yes, in most states, even if you put up warning signs,if you place a deterent that causes injury, even though the theif is doing something wrong, YOU will get prosecuted for injuring them

I've heard stories of people rigging booby-trap guns in the house and claimed it was self defense,  the police said that only applied to body harm, not property.

I new a guy who had a small eating place. He had been broken into twice. Both times they came in through the A/C duct system.

He went into the ductwork  and embedded razor blades into the bottom of the ducting. He was broken into again. When the police arrived, the burglar was still in the ductwork with cuts on his arms and legs.

The prosecutor made a deal with the burglar for reduced charges and no jail time if he agreed to testify against the owner of the shop for the injuries he received while breaking in.

I know of a similar situation where a shop owner had been broken into a number of times through air ducts. Putting in bigger and heavier screens proved to be no cure, so he wired the screen to 120 a volt. supply. Most of us have come in contact with 120 volts. Inside a dry nonmetal environment is irritating, shocking. The shp keeper never considered that a thief would remove extra clothing, be soaked with seat and that the duct work was well grounded. The thief died in place and the shopkeeper was charged and sentenced for manslaughter.

A similar accident happen when dogs kept getting into a metal garbage can. The homeowner wired it to 120V and killed a curious young boy on his way to school. Worse yet for the offender, the cans were placed in plain view along an alley behind his house.