JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Home security cameras

48 minutes ago, Old said:

How is this for an alarm sound?

"ALEXA THERE ARE INTRUDERS ON THE PORCH, GET MY GUN!"

Are there recordings that say

"I can call the police or an ambulance,  your choice" ? :)

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

I like the idea of the DVR that will continuously record but it seems that someone could break in and steal the DVR. I'm thinking of also getting a wifi camera that saves to the cloud and hide it in the house. The outside cameras will capture all of the outside activity and if someone breaks in and steals the DVR, then the hidden cloud camera would capture that video and audio. 

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

2 hours ago, Tortuga said:

I like the idea of the DVR that will continuously record but it seems that someone could break in and steal the DVR.

I have my security camera DVR inside a locked breaker box marked "generator" (empty besides the DVR and a few cooling fans), with 50 foot extension cords bringing the keyboard/video/mouse cables through the walls and out to a different unconnected room. Even if a thief looks straight at the DVR enclosure, they wouldn't bother breaking in unless they already knew what was inside.

59 minutes ago, Stavro said:

I have my security camera DVR inside a locked breaker box marked "generator"

I had been thinking of putting the DVR in the garage and lock it down but if I hook it to the router then it has to be closer. My only option is to put it in the office with the computers. No place to hide it.

5 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

I had been thinking of putting the DVR in the garage and lock it down but if I hook it to the router then it has to be closer. My only option is to put it in the office with the computers. No place to hide it.

Would an attic work as a hiding place?

We cannot incite if we are not in sight.___Heb.10:24,25

4 minutes ago, rocket said:

Would an attic work as a hiding place?

I read a review that attics may be too hot for the DVR.

11 hours ago, Tortuga said:

I like the idea of the DVR that will continuously record but it seems that someone could break in and steal the DVR. I'm thinking of also getting a wifi camera that saves to the cloud and hide it in the house. The outside cameras will capture all of the outside activity and if someone breaks in and steals the DVR, then the hidden cloud camera would capture that video and audio. 

In all likelihood, the burglars won't be looking for a DVR to hide the evidence of them being there. These smash-and-grab instances are foe looting anything of value... TV's, Cell phones, cameras, iPads, jewelry and cash. 

My cameras are wired up through the attic and go down to a small closet where the DVR is. 

We have a game camera, supposed to be one of the better ones, maybe by opinion.

I thought it did a great job on the UPS man :) but did less great on people. If we had a hiding place by the door it might be better,

if the perp was trying to break into the big front door instead of the more accessible windows.:wacko:

So we still use the camera even tho it's battery powered and has an SD card you have to plug in the computer. Not so fun.

So then we've moved our interest to security cameras like have been mentioned above. Our house is one level and long. So a camera on the N end pointing South and vise versa. I'd also like to have the exterior monitored so I guess we're looking for at least 4 in all. Using wireless monitoring, no SD cards. Still looking. No I haven't called them yet, been busy finding the solution to the 6 liter Diesel Ford fiasco. That now done, I need a nap.

59a850a1f3326_0831171102(861x1531).thumb.jpg.8d90647947fe2969cfadbff15c7d0de1.jpg        59a8509e7d86d_0831171103(861x1531).thumb.jpg.852db1e1ad34883d64a202e3fd282f20.jpg

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

I live in a condo community, and we are considering cameras because recently crime has risen in my area.   So I asked the local brothers who and what sort of equipment would they use, the brothers advised a new Bible Study who does this sort of business.  So I got  him from the Br., who studies with him.  The community BOA, has decided to go with his company.   His cameras are HD 1080,  day or night vision.   He will be putting cameras (high enough) so that people will not be able to destroy them or steal them, they will scope the entire parking lot, dumpsters and entrances of each building.  They can zoom in and out and take pictures of people who sneak in here in their cars (gets tags, make and model of vehicle, color) and those who trespass will be under surveillance.   The study has offered to monitor the cameras intake for free.   The BOA cannot do it, and the Mgt Co., can't do it, so he threw that in for free.   We are living in a camera world.  In the paradise, the camera I want is my sight.  That's the best camera we have is our eyes and we can store our scenery in our perfect brains!  No more security cameras for protection from unwanted crime and violence.   

Ryan is the name of the man who is studying with one of the local brothers in my area, and he is on this Local News video for Baltimore, MD.  Here is the link and you can watch it.  It shows you what sort of cameras he uses and how they can be set up.  His business is called NEIGHBORHOOD WATCH.  This film was taken this past spring, and Ryan had not yet met with the Brother who started the Bible Study with him.  But he's studying now though, and he and his family are doing very well.  They have attended the convention last weekend.   

Neighborhood watch group hands of free cameras in Baltimore ...

Apr 13, 2017 - Uploaded by ABC 2 News - WMAR
Neighborhood Watch Team Baltimore (NWT), a group that works with ... deter crime, proposed a program that .

We are in the process of installing a series of cameras. One of the tech people at the tribe said to store the cameras contents in the, "cloud". That way if they do trot off with the guts of the system, there is something they can't get to. How to do such, I do not know. But,we will give it to ye old tally-ho!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I want to age without sharp corners, and have an obedient heart!

4 minutes ago, Miss Bea said:

We are in the process of installing a series of cameras. One of the tech people at the tribe said to store the cameras contents in the, "cloud". That way if they do trot off with the guts of the system, there is something they can't get to. How to do such, I do not know. But,we will give it to ye old tally-ho!

Some of the wifi cameras offer online storage, usually for a fee.

24 minutes ago, Miss Bea said:

Our internet is unlimited. Does that matter?

The company that stores the camera video will still charge a fee. 

1 hour ago, Stavro said:

The "cloud" is just a fancy name for someone else's computer. Any explanation beyond that is just marketing speak to confuse the issue and make it sound like it's worth more money.

0109e3771b42f6740d74b3c88176782d--tech-humor-humour.jpg

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

On 8/31/2017 at 6:02 AM, leoperales said:

It's no different than a dog bite. Sorry, just sayin'.:D

Do you have a dog named Spike?

:)

The "cloud" is just a fancy name for someone else's computer. Any explanation beyond that is just marketing speak to confuse the issue and make it sound like it's worth more money.

Well, that is not entirely true. It can be one other computer, but more likely a network of units serving as one platform where your material is stored, perhaps encrypted, and constantly backed up so that if something happens to your physical unit, your material will not be affected. Where your material is physically might be difficult or even impossible to find out even for the owner of the cloud service, and even unnecessary, perhaps. A good cloud service does not rely on specific physical entities. For a user, the network elements representing the provider-rendered services are invisible, as if obscured by a cloud, to use a metaphor.

Johan

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

2 hours ago, Thesauron said:

It can be one other computer, but more likely a network of units serving as one platform

Yes, and unless you own that cloud service - your data is on "someone else's computer(s)".

The idea is, it is not on "your" storage device - and, regardless if you want to call it remote storage, cloud, off site or some of the other terms used .... it doesn't matter if that storage is owned by an individual or a business .... it is still someone else's - not yours.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

Yes, and unless you own that cloud service - your data is on "someone else's computer(s)".

The idea is, it is not on "your" storage device - and, regardless if you want to call it remote storage, cloud, off site or some of the other terms used .... it doesn't matter if that storage is owned by an individual or a business .... it is still someone else's - not yours.

That is somewhat true. You buy access rights to someone else's network of devices. There are solutions, though, where you buy the actual hardware and store it wherever you want to and access it in a similar way. Both methods have pros and cons. In a good cloud network, your files are encrypted and can be accessed by you only.

Johan

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”