JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Updates to JW Library (iOS, Android, Windows)

28 minutes ago, cmcewen said:

I don't want my tablet or phone to decide when to update. It usually happens when I'm at a door or on the platform and the whole thing freezes.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

I was wondering if that is what was causing his problem.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

19 minutes ago, mserskine said:

Can anyone tell me where Songs 136-150 are on JWL on android?  Mine went missing.  They're not under NEW SONGS or ORCHESTRAL

Opps...MIA.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

Just checked mine - right where I left them - under "Downloaded" (these are the ones with the music for singing - I did not look for audio ones)

(Time passed for Editing)

OK - I looked at the audio ones - NOT THERE - perhaps they are being updated :thumbsup:

Edited by Qapla

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

10 hours ago, Hope said:

People were "deeper" back in the day. :) Many people read books for fun and for learning... and without pictures! :yes:  Comprehension of complex subjects was normal and it wasn't expected that adults needed everything broken down in to bite sized pieces with very descriptive verbiage.  People enjoyed heavier topics.

If you wanted to study to get baptized, you studied the "Truth" book, no matter how old you were.  I was 10 when I started studying; baptized at 13.  That was a more seemly age than 11.... baptizing young ones was not the thing.

I think it's much the same as why we now have 50 talks at conventions and even more videos, rather than 45 min/hour-long talks.  People's attention spans are shortened for whatever reasons - having been heavily educated via video rather than books, internet reading, etc... It actually kinda makes me nutty, this ADD trend.  I like to "sink" into talks, books and let my mind rest and absorb the info.  Nowadays, I barely get five lines written from a talk and it's a new speaker -- or a video.  I don't come away with the great notes or the "soaked in" feeling from assemblies/conventions anymore.  They're great as always.... it's just not *my* particular preference.

We all adapt. :) 

I was always reading everything I could get my hands on.  I loved it.  Don't get to read as much anymore, except off the internet usually.

I studied the "Truth" book and then the person conducting went into the "Lamp" book.  It was different.  Then he moved to Mississippi to be a special pioneer.  (Sent where the need was greater.)

We used to have an hour-long CBS on Tuesday nights, two hours on Thursday, and two hours on Sunday.  Only the Watchtower is an hour long now.  Everything else has been shortened.

Circuit assemblies used to include a session on Friday Night and Saturday Night.  The old circuit assemblies had as much information as the regional conventions have today.

I guess we just have to find more time to study on our own today.  Being able to study on our own is a good thing and will serve us well during the GT.

3 hours ago, Old said:

MIA? As in maybe a POW? possibly KIA?

I just check my PC and the songs are POW too..

Pulled Off Windows  :)

My guess would be that, since the printed versions are still there, no changes were made to the actual music notes or words. However, the orchestra may have made new recordings of them.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

I'm missing those same songs too. I was finally able to download the orchestral arrangements that showed up in "pending updates" (it was the first batch we got and for some reason every single one of them showed an update but when I tried to update they showed the "cloud" icon afterward instead of the more button. After the app updated yesterday, I was able to download them all finally.

Don't live for the moment - live for the future! :D

39 minutes ago, shali said:

I was finally able to download the orchestral arrangements that showed up in "pending updates" (it was the first batch we got and for some reason every single one of them showed an update but when I tried to update they showed the "cloud" icon afterward instead of the more button. After the app updated yesterday, I was able to download them all finally.

Same thing happened to me. I basically had to download all the orchestra songs twice before they would totally download.

I realized that when I clicked to download, even though the icon reverted to the 'cloud', when I closed the app and reopened, the icons switched to the "more" button. I had to double click any others that still had the cloud and they automatically switched to the 'more' button right after I downloaded. So there is still a small glitch or two but at least I was able to finally get everything out of my "pending updates" folder.

4 minutes ago, Omo_Yeme said:

Which is better?..downloading the songs onto the JWL app? or to the device itself (i.e. sd card)?  Does it make it difference?

I'm not sure I understand your question because if you download the songs using JWL then you are downloading them to the JWL app, the only choice you have is whether you have the app store them on the device memory or the SD card if you have one. It's not a matter of which storage location is 'better', it just depends on where you want the files stored and how much room you have to store them.

4 minutes ago, Omo_Yeme said:

I see your point. I went to jw.org and downloaded the Orchestral songs onto my device, then I moved the zip file to my sd card to preserve space on my device. I never DL kingdom songs within the JWL app. 

I understand now.

If you download the song files directly from JW.org and store them as MP3s on either your device memory or the SD card, then you can play them using any music player app that you have on your device.

If you download the songs through JWL and store them on your device or SD card, then you can play them using JWL. I prefer using JWL because it keeps the songs organized and it's easier to update them.

10 minutes ago, Omo_Yeme said:

I see your point. I went to jw.org and downloaded the Orchestral songs onto my device, then I moved the zip file to my sd card to preserve space on my device. I never DL kingdom songs within the JWL app. 

If you go to "settings" in the JWL app - you'll see a box you can check that will automatically download any video's or music straight to your SD card - you don't have to go through the hassle of moving them if you don't want.

Richard and I must of been typing at the same time, I can see now why you do it the way you do.  Like Richard, I like doing it through the app because they are always updating them.

Edited by shali

If you download music or video using JWL app, the files are saved in a folder (mine is Android/Data/org.jw.jwlibrary.mobile) in mp3/mp4 format. You can go to that folder and open the song/movie without opening the app. Just don't change anything in the name or location of the folders or files (so that JWL may be able to use them in the future).

" Indeed, what do you have that you did not receive ? "

I just got home and noticed two "donation acknowledgement" letters in my inbox.  They were sent today but they were for donations I made in May!  I've never gotten these letters so far after the donation before!  Wonder what's up with that.

22 hours ago, AH173 said:

It's happening to me with my nexus 10 also. I guess it'll be fixed with an update soon. Bummer. 

After replying, I tried the app and it closed and I sent in the report. I shut down tablet and restart, and now got a few updates and JW Library is among them. Let's hope it solves problem. 

I have tablet to inform me of updates and then I manually do it. 

The update doesn't work for me yet. I guess in time. 

Fortunately, my windows 10 tablet, older nexus 7 2012 and note 4 works fine and don't shut off after I go to the publications tab. It must be one of those things. 

"there was Jehovah’s word for him, and it went on to say to him: “What is your business here, E·lijah?" To this (Elijah) he said: “I have been absolutely jealous for Jehovah the God of armies"- 1 Kings 19:9, 10 Reference Bible

Ecclesiastes 7:21 "..., do not give your heart to all the words that people may speak," - Reference Bible

5 hours ago, AH173 said:

Fortunately, my windows 10 tablet, older nexus 7 2012 and note 4 works fine and don't shut off after I go to the publications tab. It must be one of those things. 

there was an v update yesterday, so now nothing shuts down after going to publications.