JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Write a story one line at a time

Greenfield

In fact, my friend who was visiting from Bethel, Dennis Greenford*, told me that just a few weeks ago the Gilead brother, Steve Tilfield*, his wife Katie, and his parents were visiting Hell's lakes (of water that is) while the Tilfields were on vacation.

*Bouncing smilies for whoever guesses how I came up with these last names!

, Dennis, related one last cool experience: at his congregation's meeting today a guy named Mike visited the Kingdom Hall merely from reading the literature that the wind had blown into his window, and at the Hall he met his old bully from his high school days, Joe, who is now a brother and who made peace with him, and now Dennis has an appointment for a Bible study with Mike.

looked closer, and saw the note was actually for his good friend who lived upstairs, Adam, who was out of town, and this note must have been here for a few days - this would explain why the circuit overseer would be going out "tomorrow", for this day is a Sunday and Monday he has off - so he, Brother Rick "Problematic" Greenfield, got out his phone and called...

We know it's a Sunday because Mike visited Joe's meeting today under the subheading A Spontaneous Visit to a Meeting.

--A New Day--

Though still sleepy, I opened my eyes to a bright, beautiful and sunny day outside. I rolled out of bed, picked myself up off the floor and got in to the hot shower. Suddenly, the doorbell rang. Excited over an expected delivery, I hastily jumped out of the shower and ran to the peep hole in the door, dripping wet without thinking to grab a towel.

There stood the Circuit Overseer and his wife. In horror, I shrieked and backed away from the door, slipping on the wet floor and falling to the unforgiving hardwood right on my bum. Then, an idea came to mind - just like my calls, I will pretend I am not at home. Then there was a strong rapping-RAP RAP RAP-on the door and a stern, manly voice saying: "I know you are in their Brother Problematic, so you might as well open up, we were assigned to work together today." I shout, "Genesis 3:10!" after which I run to my closet and hurriedly pick out my service clothes. The curmudgeonly, yet loveable Circuit Overseer barks out, "Take your time, it's not a hundred degrees out yet."

--The Tour of the Kingdom Hall--

I threw my clothes on, combed my hair, and sped in my car to my new Kingdom Hall and the congregation I was assigned to. Suddenly, a police car, siren blasting, lights flashing appeared in my rear view mirror. To my embarrassment, the officer followed us into the Kingdom Hall parking lot, lights still flashing. Hyperventilating, I exit my car as the officer saunters up to me and says, "I was wondering if I could get the latest Watch Tower and Awake magazines from ya?" "Absolutely Officer but I have to go inside to get them, would you like a tour of our new Kingdom Hall?"

After the officer says, "Yes," me and our Circuit Overseer give him the full tour. After exiting the building, the officer says, "I have heard rumors about secret hanky-panky rooms but I didn't see any such thing," to which the Circuit Overseer said, "There's also a basement I didn't show you", after which I quickly point out no such room exists, and sending him away, we go inside and meet with the group.

Overhearing your conversation, the presiding overseer whispers in your ear, "Are you sure no such room exists?," while pointing to what seemed like a slightly out of place bit of carpet on the platform. To which I said, "Oh that's funny, for you well know that that is where your ever so embarrassed dear wife broke water while giving a #2 talk." Suddenly the coordinator of the body of elders' face went red, eyes scrunched up and he let out a bark like a dog as his tourettes suddenly kicked in. The curmudgeonly, yet lovable Circuit Overseer, desperately trying to salvage the morning from total hysteria, begins the meeting for service by saying, "Let's begin with prayer - Dear God, Jehovah, we beg for peace and unity and your blessing out in the ministry today, and we say this through Jesus Christ, amen," and quickly the order is restored and the Tourette's disappears from the coordinator.

--A Morning in Public Witnessing--

The Circuit Overseer then proceeded to share some new and exciting ways of starting Bible Studies on the first call with the `Learn From God's Word' section of the Watchtower, some of these were very interesting and in ways we had not thought of before. I thought it was quite interesting how he encouraged us to do more informal witnessing like beach and park witnessing. Yet still with the need to be mindful of our dress and grooming, a bikini and belly button piercings could distract even in the informal setting, so cover it up, button it up or pin it and many may listen to the word. Then the Circuit Overseer made the groups and assigned me with himself, his wife and the COBE and his wife and their young son, six in all. The circuit overseer then closed with a prayer and declared we were off to the local lake by the park.

"What for?" I asked. "Public witnessing of course", he says. So off we go with an extra box of literature and ready for adventure. We pull in and get out and then our old-timer stalwart Circuit Overseer points out that the local Pentecostal Evangelical Megachurch is having a huge picnic there that day. Suddenly the biggest smile came over the confident Circuit Overseers face as he declared, "no not at homes today". With the Circuit Overseer at my side, we headed straight for the barbi, or so I thought.

From what seemed like out of nowhere sprang a short but smart looking fella who told us that it was a 'I love Jesus' picnic and that we could only enter if we love him. I replied that I love Jesus and that we had come here to share the same message that Jesus shared, the good news of the Kingdom, while showing him Mark 1:14, 15, but then he saw our Watchtower magazines. "The Watchtower, I love to read them but please don't tell anyone hear or I'll be attacked and my wife will be forced to divorce me." My Circuit Overseer and I exchanged meaningful glances, while a pregnant pause followed. Undeterred and after some private personal prayers we packed away our watchtowers and went around the people with bibles in hand and by the use of many brochures and books declared Jehovah's glorious name and taught all those who were honest, hungry and humble about the good news of our king and his kingdom.

--Back For Lunch--

Once back at the Hall the COBE and CO met with me in the second school. I was never so scared in my life, as I just knew that I was in trouble and I wondered what on earth did I do now? Beside a few commendation and much encouragement, he graciously invited me to join the others in the break room where warm and cold lunch treats were already prepared.

I was hungry after that in testing morning of preaching the good news. I grabbed a floppy paper plate and filled it with carrots and celery sticks but drooling over the other dishes, as I was trying my best to be faithful to my diet. But then the other part of me that decides what I think one sentence at a time said, I am going to eat what I want. No, No, get behind me Satan, I can't continue to eat what I want or I'll be dead before the years out. Boy Howdy I think to myself as I float towards the taco table like a cartoon character.

On my way to the table I trip and spill all of 4 overstuffed tacos right onto the curmudgeonly yet lovable circuit overseer. Brenda, the Circuit Overseer's wife, has been supportive and reserved all morning but upon seeing this she burst into hysterical laughing to the point of tears. Our circuit overseer, John, looking rather like a taco himself, stands up and says, Do you serve Hot Sauce with your tacos? And may I have 1 or three cold beers to wash it down? John, the curmudgeonly yet lovable circuit overseer, quickly back pedals and says "you know I was joking, right. Not." The lovely and endearing wife, Brenda, comes to his aid with a damp cloth and shaking her head in disbelief that he actually wanted a beer in the Kingdom Hall. After the clean-up the tired and psychedelic Circuit Overseer along with his lovely wife decided it was time to get back on the road. And so is the life of a Circus Circuit Overseer and his wife!

--You Just Don't Know Where It Will Have Success--

Since the COBE's wife had come down ill, sister Payne was invited to replace her but she had to sit in the back of the van. Sister Payne wanted the window seat but alas, Bro. Problematic was there! Having returned to the territory, Brenda the CO wife ask sister Payne in the rear (of the van) if she would work with her for a few doors. Sister Payne said "No, not today i'm only along for the ride, let's keep on truckin'." John, the curmudgeonly yet lovable circuit overseer started to say something to sister Payne in the rear (of the van) but dear Brenda quietly shushed him and said, Be quick to listen, and slow to speak. Then Bro. Problematic, who always had a knack for saying crazy things, said: Since sister Payne in the rear (of the van) doesn't want to go, I will. The CO and the COBE speedly jumped out of the van fell down on their knees and began to pray. Seeing this, sister Payne in the rear (of the van) changed her mind and decided to go with Brenda, the CO's wife, to the door.

Sister Payne decided that she would take the first door. After knocking, Sister Payne grew anxious and guerulous, dropping her Bible and magazines, where-in the wind picked up and strew them about the yard. One blew into the house of a man who had been praying to God about natural disasters and if God is using them to punish people for bad behavior. Then, on this December day where the weather is good enough to have the windows wide open, the Watchtower landed right on the man's head, open to the cover series, along with a handbill advertising the meeting times. The man cried out, "Thank you Jesus...........WHAT......the Watchtower....no God, please, not those Jehova's, they can't be your people, can they?" And Jehovah responded to him "let there be light!" As the man glanced out the window to see the sun rays burst forth from the clouds he cried out in humility, "The heavens are declaring your Glory oh God and I stand in awe of one so great!"

Immediately he picked up his phone and dialed the local Kingdom Hall but a Russian Language meeting was in progress and he panicked when he heard someone speak Russian, so he hung up and dialed another listing for a Kingdom Hall whereupon he was automatically plugged into a meeting already in session, and what he heard was a discourse about Jehovah's loving provisions for persons caught up in natural disasters. He said in a loud voice, "Hallelujah!", but the sound controls at that Hall were set up in such a way that not only, because of not having the mute button engaged, everyone listening in on the phones but also every one at the meeting heard the jubilant outcry.

--A Spontaneous Visit to a Meeting--

The man got in his car and hurriedly made his way to the Kingdom Hall, where-in he was greeted by Joe, the biggest known bully of his high school days, his jaw hit the floor as Joe said, Welcome!, as he put out his hand in greeting and our visitor, Mike, shook it, and went up into the auditorium and listened to the remainder of the talk and the Watchtower Study. After the final prayer, Bro. Joe went up to Mike and gave him a great big HUG, whereupon Joe said, "it is not often we get to right the wrongs of the past, I am glad I have this opportunity to set the record straight - after all these years!" Joe continued: "I am truly sorry for my bad behavior in High School and especially for the way I treated you. But don't blame me, my parents brought me up wrong."

An elder standing near by heard this and thought, "Isn't that the way it always is with problem people - it is never their own fault, instead it's 'I was abused more then once and at a very young age, and so this started me down a spiral path from Jehovah - "it's not MY fault." ' " At that the Elder realized that Joe had not been raised in the truth and so maybe his environment did play into his behavior. So the elder decided to talk to Joe at a more convenient time and explain how each of us is responsible for his own actions - perhaps sharing how well Hezekiah turned out even though his father was one of the WORST APOSTATE (possibly abuser - as he did kill off some of Hezekiah's brothers) kings in Israel's history, Ahaz, and was no doubt surrounded by a bad environment (mental note: commend Joe for finally coming around to the truth!).

Well there's no time like the present thought the elder so he took Joe to the side and spoke with him, in a super kind and loving way and Joe truly appreciated this loving counsel. And especially the commendation he was given which made his day, so he went back over to Mike and invited him to lunch. Mike accepted and said - "Wow! I need to come here more often."

--The Final Door--

Meanwhile back in the car group with the CO, John, his wife Brenda, and sister Payne in the rear (of the van), and myself, Brother Problematic decide to take one last door before calling it a day and unbeknown to them at the time, it will turn out to be the best call of the day. For inside was a young mother with 2 little ones who had just been praying to God (if he existed), distraught over the fact that her husband had just been killed in Iraq and did not know what to do. We gave her the "when someone dies" brochure but also showed her the pictures under the heading "Is this What God purposed?" in the bible teach book and read John 5:28, 29 with her. She lit up and her face shone with excitement, as she had never heard of the Scripture before. She had been trying to make sense of it all and thirsting for knowledge a study was started.

After reading the scripture.... "and they will beat their swords into plowshares and their spears into pruning shears, neither will they learn war anymore"... looking perplexed she said "I want to burst into song!" At that moment she started to sing to herself, the song they had danced to at their wedding, as she looked up, her eyes glistening from unshed tears, she said, "if only I had heard of these things before, maybe.... he would still be here...... now....." to which we replied, "may we share another of God's promises for the future, this may bring you much comfort," we showed her God's promise to make this earth a paradise as described in Revelation, after which we promised to return and get into the Bible Teach book once more as we said our goodbye.

--A Relaxing Evening--

As Brother Problematic and Brenda returned to the van, they noticed that the curmudgeonly yet lovable circuit overseer John and Sister Payne in the rear (of the van) was sound asleep, so they quietly returned to the Kingdom Hall and Brenda, the CO's wife, gently put John in the passenger seat and drove him home while he was still asleep, but when he awoke he said to himself: "How could this happen to me?'. Then he looked at his wife and said, "That was an unexpected yet very refreshing nap how about we grab a burger and head on over to the park and take a nice long walk and enjoy some of Jehovah's creation, sound good honey?" Brenda replied, "That would be lovely John."

While the CO and wife are enjoying the remainder of the day on a quiet hike, I, Brother Problematic, decide to go to the movies; while at the theater, I run into one of my old High School buddies who invites me to grab a beer with him, so I and him go off to a restaurant to eat and drink beer in moderation, for I was raised in the truth and the only buddy I had in high school was also a Witness and he just got back from temporary work at Bethel. It was a good time to catch up on old times and have an interchange of encouragement, from which exciting news from Bethel about the last Gilead Graduation.

He even mentioned that one of the students grew up in the area we grew up - yes, even right here in Hell, Michigan. I learned his parents still go to the Kingdom Hall which is thankfully in nearby Gregory MI. But they do visit Hell often in the fall and spring when it is not so hot. In fact, my friend who was visiting from Bethel, Dennis Greenford, told me that just a few weeks ago the Gilead brother, Steve Tilfield, his wife Katie, and his parents were visiting Hell's lakes (of water that is) while the Tilfields were on vacation. They also related how much fun they had visiting "Books From Hell" book store on the corner of Patterson Lake Rd. and Sunset Blvd. Dennis found great deals on some cool books like The Secret of Hell's Scream's Ice Cream and 101 Things To Do In Hell, with maps and pictures.

The pictures of Hell were beautiful and he wanted to stay there forever but he knew it was time to move on so he, Dennis, related one last cool experience: at his congregation's meeting today a guy named Mike visited the Kingdom Hall merely from reading the literature that the wind had blown into his window, and at the Hall he met his old bully from his high school days, Joe, who is now a brother and who made peace with him, and now Dennis has an appointment for a Bible study with Mike. Upon hearing this fantastic story, his mouth flew open in exclamation and he said in full hearing of the whole restaurant, "COOOOOOOOOOOOOL!!!!" With that outburst of excitement, the attention of everyone in the restaurant was directed toward him, so he said sheepishly, "OOPS! excuse me, everyone, I was taken up in the moment!" Since he had everyone's attention anyways, he decided to apologize for his jubilant outcry, thank the staff, and then he said goodbye to Dennis and headed on home, for he had already paid and it was getting late.

--Closing the Day--

As brother Problematic arrived home he noticed a note on the door from the curmudgeonly, yet lovable Circuit Overseer John, which read, "Brother Service Overseer and I were here for your Shepherding call, I assume something came up! We will see you tomorrow for Field Service, right?"

Upon reading this note, Brother Problematic looked closer, and saw the note was actually for his good friend who lived upstairs, Adam, who was out of town, and this note must have been here for a few days - this would explain why the circuit overseer would be going out "tomorrow", for this day is a Sunday and Monday he has off - so he, Brother Rick "Problematic" Greenfield, got out his phone and called Adam but there was no answer, so he called it a night and went to bed, having had an exhausting, yet fulfilling day, as he was saying his nightly prayer to Jehovah...

Rick thought about and thanked Jehovah for all his blessings, and expressed to Him his anticipation for what blessings and opportunities in His service the near future may bring. Suddenly the phone rang...

I propose a minor change in rules, and we've already been going this way for some time: Like before, if someone finishes on a period, then you can only write one sentence to add. But if they finish on an ellipsis (a dot dot dot - ...), then you can finish the sentence and start a new one, or just finish the sentence, it's up to you.

Rick sprang to his feet, dashed toward the phone but the rug slipped under his feet and he went head over heals, hitting his head on the Armoire.

I am fine with changing the rules as suggested.

We cannot incite if we are not in sight.___Heb.10:24,25

The voice on the other end: "I am calling you regarding your credit card, there is not a problem at this time....." Click, as Bro. Problematic hangs up the phone rather disgruntled.

We cannot incite if we are not in sight.___Heb.10:24,25