JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Can't get Study Bible on old tablet

Hi, my step-father has an old Android tablet (Asus TF101). I'm trying to get the new Study Bible (NWT Study Edition) but I cannot get it anywhere. I've tried:

-updating the JW Library app (there are no updates in the Play Store)

-uninstalling and reinstalling the JW Library app

-checking for firmware/OS Android updates

Nothing's working. There is no Study Edition in the English Bibles section. Here are the stats of the tablet:

Model: Asus TF101

JW Library App version: 1.6.1

My only guess at this point is the OS is too old to get the latest update. Is there a minimum Android OS requirement for the Study Bible? Please help.

I’m not sure about the study bible, but the JW.org faq says the following:

JW Library is compatible with the following Android devices:

Android tablets and phones running version 4.0 or later
Kindle Fire tablets running Fire OS version 3.1 and later

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

1 hour ago, richterbelmont10 said:

The JWL appears to require the latest version of the app in order to get the Study Bible.

My oldest tablet is running Android 4.4.2 and I was able to get the JWL update from the Play Store.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

2 hours ago, richterbelmont10 said:

Model: Asus TF101

Can you get an update to Android on the Asus T101?  I used to have a similar Asus model and I was able to update to 4.4 KitKat.  The JW Library ran OK on that OS version.  Br. Richard is right, the Study Bible requires the latest JW Library upgrade to work (or even show up in the list).

2 hours ago, jwhess said:

Can you get an update to Android on the Asus T101?  I used to have a similar Asus model and I was able to update to 4.4 KitKat.  The JW Library ran OK on that OS version.  Br. Richard is right, the Study Bible requires the latest JW Library upgrade to work (or even show up in the list).

I don't know how to do that. Do I need to root the tablet? I've never done that before and I'm afraid I'm going to break the tablet.

4.0.3 is the last update the Asus TF1010 received.

There are sites that explain how to update it up to Android 5 with unofficial ROMS, but those require rooting the tablet and some other steps that in effect might break it if done incorrectly.

This is an older device and it is no longer supported. :(

Ok thanks. Actually, I'm having a new problem now. I reinstalled JWLibrary and now NOTHING works! It can download the NWT Bible. But then if I try to tap a Bible book, then the chapter, the tablet gets stuck in an infinite loop and will never show the verses. Then if I tap "Publications" the app will shut down with the message "Unfortunately, JW Library has stopped working." I tried reinstalling the app a couple times, clearing the data, clearing the cache, and nothing works. The app is now completely broken. 

5 hours ago, ChrisC said:

Is this a problem with insufficient memory/storage?

I don't think so. This is what happened: JWL was running fine (but a little slow) on my step-father's tablet. My step-father asked me to see if I can get the Study Bible. I went into the Languages section of the Bible, and the Study Edition was not there. I checked the Play Store for JWL updates but there were none. I checked for the tablet's firmware updates but there were none.

I figured, why don’t I try reinstalling the app? Maybe then the Study Edition will appear. So I uninstalled the functioning app and reinstalled it. Now the app is completely broken. I load the app and then it asks which translation of the Bible to download. I select NWT, it downloads it. I select a book and it shows me the chapters as normal. I select a chapter and I get the spinning wheel which will spin forever until I swipe the app closed. It will never show me any of the verses. It does the same thing when I select an appendix. It will never show me any text; only the infinite spinning wheel. Furthermore, when I tap Publications to download a watchtower or something, I get the message "Unfortunately, JW Library has stopped working" and the app closes. I tried reinstalling the app several times to no avail. I tried clearing the cache and the data. Nothing works. What's even more baffling is if I install another Bible translation, such as the Reference Bible or the American Standard Version, it will load the verses as normal! Those other Bible translations work, but it will hang if I try to load text from the NWT. Very strange.

What's worse is the tablet's Recovery Mode is also broken! I try to load the tablet in Recovery Mode by pressing power-on with volume-down button, it says, "Press Volume Up to enter RCK." When I press Volume Up, I get a screen with the Android that seems like it's loading something for a couple seconds, then it switches to a screen with the Android fallen over and a triangle warning sign coming out of his opened chest. The tablet freezes at this screen and does not respond to any commands. Then it loads the tablet normally. I cannot get to any recovery options. I can't even do a factory restore if I wanted to.

Now I feel bad for breaking my step-father's JWL. At least he was able to use it before…

Well I found a temporary fix. I downloaded an app called Aptoide and from there you can download different versions of JWL. I started with some of the previous versions, thinking those might work, but they didn't. Finally, I decided to download the latest version 9.3. I doubted it would work on this old tablet, but it did! The only problem is I can't get the JWL icon onto the desktop. I have to go through Aptoide to open it. (Or just don't never shut down the tablet so JWL will always open in the background.) It's an annoyance, but at least JWL works now.