JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

George Aljian: Coping With the Plague of Your Heart

On 3/21/2018 at 2:28 PM, Hope said:

Another thought:

I struggle with knowing the boundary between being specific vs. allowing Jehovah's will to take place... between praying incessantly and knowing when to quit (at least about something in particular) like Paul had to do. His three times don't even sound like a lot of begging... but he was let know that the answer was "no" to that petition. It's been suggested that I'm lacking in faith because I've concluded that Jehovah's undeserved kindness must be enough rather than keep banging on about the same thing. I remain unclear on exactly how these concepts reconcile.

I share these thoughts.  Add to your comments:

If I stop praying , or even better, if I forget to pray about a person or a topic, am I negligent ?

Jehovah knows what we need before we bring it to him in prayer. But he still wants us to bring it to him.  It's explained that we show Jehovah how serious we are, or how important we think it is, by bringing it to him. Yet, the answer may remain "I have been taking care of you and I will continue to take care of you. Request denied".

And then there's this: "He does not limit himself to what we specifically ask for in our prayers. He may do the unexpected, beyond anything that we could ever think of, to solve our problems". Daily Text 2/11/21.

So, yes, sometimes it's hard to understand how things work. We just know they do.

On a sad note, at least 3 of the participants in this thread are now in Jehovah's Memory. A dear sister in our congregation died last week. There have been 3 other deaths in our area recently. These things plague our hearts but the talk reminds us to accept and deal with our current situation.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

That's weird Richard I was thinking the same way, I was just reading this thread because of the talk involved, one I hadn't seen before. I realized that it was begun by Mike, who I had come to love, sisterly, through this forum and who is now in Jehovah's memory and also br 'skipdaflip' who succumbed to death far too young. It amazes me how fast life changes, how we can be involved with people today and tomorrow they're gone. I think about Mike frequently, no matter how much pain he was in or how many times he was responding on the forum as he was in the hospital he didn't let on about it.

I'm very appreciative that this topic has been brought back up so I can remember those I knew as well as hearing/reading a talk that's more relevant today than ever. 

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

Similar but different:

WT May 1 2000 p28-31

GOD IS GREATER THAN OUR HEARTS

https://www.jw.org/finder?wtlocale=E&issue=2000-05-01&pub=w00&srcid=share

We may have no difficulty believing that Jehovah has great love for his servants in general. However, some seem to be so overly concerned about their own shortcomings that they are convinced that Jehovah could never love them. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Coping With the Plague of Your Heart, George Aljian   transcript (based on David's transcript with headings added).

Thanks to Andrej for the transcript as the talk doesn't have subtitles.

Thanks to David too for the formatted pdf.

• 7 months later...

It's now 2023, and I stumbled on this thread from a Google search when a sister shared with me how she loved this talk and how it has helped her during her struggles. There's just too many gems in this talk and I'll be listening to it over and over. Thank you brothers for the transcript, just perfect to cement the words in my mind & heart. 

On 3/19/2021 at 2:44 AM, Tortuga said:

On a sad note, at least 3 of the participants in this thread are now in Jehovah's Memory. A dear sister in our congregation died last week. There have been 3 other deaths in our area recently. These things plague our hearts but the talk reminds us to accept and deal with our current situation.

This makes me sad, as I was reading through each comment, I can imagine you brothers and sisters discussing as it was just today, I could almost hear your voices. Esp, with bro 'skipdaflip' who longed for the GT to come soon. His endurance is commendable. I look forward to seeing him illness-free soon. Sending my love to everyone, may Jehovah's Kingdom make the plagues of our hearts a thing of the past soon. 👑💝

The one who bears witness of these things says, ‘Yes, I am coming quickly.’” “Amen! Come, Lord Jesus.” May the undeserved kindness of the Lord Jesus be with the holy ones. REVELATIONS 22: 20-21

• 2 weeks later...

This is one of my favorite talks! I´ve watched it several times and it comforts me every time - probably because there´s always some "plague in my heart", so it is always suitable. Actually, now that I think about it, I can´t even remember the last time in my life when everything was fine, without major problems. Maybe when I was 2 or so... 

I highly recommend this talk to everyone, it is very comforting and faith strengthening.

Chrissy :wave: