JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Cancer and Coffee - must have warning labels in California

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2217 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-03-30/starbucks-must-put-cancer-warning-on-california-coffee:-judge/9605014

In such a litigious state as California, there is a proposed law being passed for Starbucks and other coffee sellers to put warning labels on their coffee because of a chemical compound that naturally occurs during the roasting process.  

CERT argued that since acrylamide was classified as a carcinogen under California law, coffee sellers had to use warning labels to alert the millions of Californians drinking their products.

The coffee industry had claimed the chemical was present at harmless levels and should be exempt from the law because it results naturally from the cooking process necessary to make the beans flavourful.

LEAVE.MY.COFFEE.ALONE!

Humans are so hypocritical. You read articles that say coffee :sick: (can’t stand the stuff myself) is great for a person’s health and than you get this. 

Greatful the Bible and Jehovah never changes. 

Isaiah 33:24  "And no resident will say: “I am sick.”

7 hours ago, Myew said:

I prefer to let my coffee make the full trip without any shortcuts...:o

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

2 minutes ago, Myew said:

The enterohepatic pathway is the fastest shortcut to the liver. ;> https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/medicine-and-dentistry/enterohepatic-circulation

The best part of waking up is Folgers in my CUP....:o

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

(Proverbs 23:31, 32) Do not look at the wine’s red color As it sparkles in the cup and goes down smoothly, 32 For in the end it bites like a serpent, And it secretes poison like a viper. (Matthew 23:26) Blind Pharisee, cleanse first the inside of the cup and of the dish, so that the outside of it may also become clean.

graphics-pyong-the-red-fox-283201.gif

Edited by Myew

51 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

The best part of waking up is Folgers in my CUP....:o

THIS IS WAY OFF TOPIC but I couldn't resist. Apology in advance.

The little boy made a special cup of coffee for his dear Grandma. What a fine way to show love in the morning. As Grandma sipped her coffee she noticed something in her cup. Upon close examination, she found two toy soldiers in her cup. She asked her grandson why the toy soldiers and he replied: "The best part of waking up is soldiers in your cup!" :lol:

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

Ok, this so called offending chemical compound is also found in potatoes, bread and other starchy foods.  It is released due to the cooking methods, using high heat.  So fries and toast presumably also should have warning labels.

http://www.foodstandards.gov.au/consumer/chemicals/acrylamide/Pages/default.aspx

"Acrylamide has been detected in a range of foods including fried or roasted potato products, cereal-based products (including sweet biscuits and toasted bread) and coffee....

International food regulators are working with industry to reduce acrylamide levels. New farming and processing techniques are being investigated to produce lower levels of acrylamide, for example, lowering cooking temperatures, using enzymes that reduce acrylamide formation and obtaining raw materials with lower reducing sugar levels. However, reducing acrylamide in some foods, such as coffee, is difficult without changing its taste."

Again, if we eat a balanced diet, I think that acrylamide level is not an issue.  When we eat the wrong foods (there are suggestions of how to eat less of this compound in the article quoted), then it accentuates the effect. 

So, enjoy coffee and eat starches in moderation!

Edited by hatcheckgirl

A more balanced article https://www.livescience.com/61598-lawsuit-warns-of-coffee-cancer-risk.html

Enjoy your coffee!

"Meanwhile, coffee itself is not listed as a carcinogen by the IARC or the National Toxicology Program. And drinking coffee may actually help decrease the risk of certain cancers. For instance, drinking coffee is linked to a decreased risk of liver cancer, endometrial cancer, colon cancer and one type of skin cancer, Live Science previously reported. Imbibing the beverage has also been linked to a longer life."

2 hours ago, hatcheckgirl said:

"Acrylamide has been detected in a range of foods including fried or roasted potato products, cereal-based products (including sweet biscuits and toasted bread) and coffee....

International food regulators are working with industry to reduce acrylamide levels. New farming and processing techniques are being investigated to produce lower levels of acrylamide, for example, lowering cooking temperatures, using enzymes that reduce acrylamide formation and obtaining raw materials with lower reducing sugar levels. However, reducing acrylamide in some foods, such as coffee, is difficult without changing its taste."

:idea: I've got a good idea .... let's use GMO techniques to reduce this terrible, naturally occuring, cancer forming chemical. I really want to be able to drink 64 litres of coffee a day!!!!

Don't give up .. it's just around the corner.

Ok, this so called offending chemical compound is also found in potatoes, bread and other starchy foods.  It is released due to the cooking methods, using high heat.  So fries and toast presumably also should have warning labels.
http://www.foodstandards.gov.au/consumer/chemicals/acrylamide/Pages/default.aspx

Again, if we eat a balanced diet, I think that acrylamide level is not an issue.  When we eat the wrong foods (there are suggestions of how to eat less of this compound in the article quoted), then it accentuates the effect. 

So, enjoy coffee and eat starches in moderation!

It is quite possible that more food stuff needs warning labels so that people do not remain ignorant about it.

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

Maybe you are right.  Because everything really should have a warning label "Satan's world" :raspberry:

No, people wouldn’t get that. It’s much better to tell people why a food item might pose a risk to their health and safety.

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

Information on food items that might pose a risk is indeed good to know.  Would you think that humans have the ability to give us the correct warning though?  Some things for sure, like the smoking warnings.  But for this, as an example, coffee and acrylamide,  I found very conflicting information.  Coffee is good vs coffee roasted at high temps cause cancer.  The information isn't accurate, because what's been tested on rats has no relation to what's happening to humans.  So, do we put that warning on the coffee?  California says yes.  But that's a legal argument, more than a medical one, I think.  Scientific and medical arguments point to coffee still being ok to drink.  Especially since drinking water also contains the same chemical.  So, where do we draw the line?

It does not belong to man to direct his steps.

Information on food items that might pose a risk is indeed good to know.  Would you think that humans have the ability to give us the correct warning though?  Some things for sure, like the smoking warnings.  But for this, as an example, coffee and acrylamide,  I found very conflicting information.  Coffee is good vs coffee roasted at high temps cause cancer.  The information isn't accurate, because what's been tested on rats has no relation to what's happening to humans.  So, do we put that warning on the coffee?  California says yes.  But that's a legal argument, more than a medical one, I think.  Scientific and medical arguments point to coffee still being ok to drink.  Especially since drinking water also contains the same chemical.  So, where do we draw the line?

It does not belong to man to direct his steps.

Science and medicine is excellent to show where the line should be drawn. Also, scientists know the difference between rats and humans. And also where they are alike. (They show that moderate consumption is ok, while the bigger problem is the addictiveness. Even food stuff with moderate addictiveness can be dangerous. Sugar, for example, is very addictive.) A much bigger problem is the fact that most human study subjects are adult white men. What is ok for a white, healthy man, might not be ok for some women.

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”