JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

The news said that people down in Lower 48 wondered where winter was! It's up here in Alaska. Cordova down on south coast has gotten snow every day since Dec. 17 and have a total of 18 FT. They called in NG to help with roof clearing. Some of the warehouses are collapsing. On the other hand Valdez has gotten 20 FT but they get that every year so they know how to handle it and their are more people there. In central Alaska we have maybe foot and half of snow on the ground but we have COLD. It was 41 below 0 last week and this weekend it's going to go to 45 below. In other low lying areas it will get down to 55 to 60 below. One thing about it, we expect it and we are prepared for it and life goes on apace. :eek:

Do you go door to door in that cold?Yikes!

It is 45 today...not much snow here yet.I like it when it snows about a foot or two and stays on

the ground for a month or so.But not yet.:(

I guess I should have finished reading the rest of the posts in this thread! lol! You and I are thinking alike! Hope that does not scare you! :scared:

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The news said that people down in Lower 48 wondered where winter was! It's up here in Alaska. Cordova down on south coast has gotten snow every day since Dec. 17 and have a total of 18 FT. They called in NG to help with roof clearing. Some of the warehouses are collapsing. On the other hand Valdez has gotten 20 FT but they get that every year so they know how to handle it and their are more people there. In central Alaska we have maybe foot and half of snow on the ground but we have COLD. It was 41 below 0 last week and this weekend it's going to go to 45 below. In other low lying areas it will get down to 55 to 60 below. One thing about it, we expect it and we are prepared for it and life goes on apace. :eek:

Do you go door to door in that cold?Yikes!

It is 45 today...not much snow here yet.I like it when it snows about a foot or two and stays on

the ground for a month or so.But not yet.:(

I guess I should have finished reading the rest of the posts in this thread! lol! You and I are thinking alike! Hope that does not scare you! :scared:

Sisters often think alike...and finish each others sentences.:coffee:

Holly,you asked what we do for meetings and service when it is so cold. When it gets down to minus 35 and below, the elders cancel the meetings. It is too dangerous for folks to be out on the roads, especially the older ones and ones with little children. We are always advised to carry survival gear in our cars with us at all times- heavy coats, boots etc. For service, if it is cold but not real bad, 4 or so publishers will meet at KH or some one's house and do telephone witnessing. We have two military bases that we cannot go on so there's a lot of people to call by phone. I might add that the schools never close down because of the cold- only if we get a lot of snow and busses cannot get through. Everybody still has to go to work no matter how cold.

We just got 1/2 of snow over ice and our Sun. meeting is canceled. In Oregon at least in the valley, few know how to drive on the white stuff. We all go out and celebrate by getting into accidents and keeping our insurance adjuster company.

We cannot incite if we are not in sight.___Heb.10:24,25

We just got 1/2 of snow over ice and our Sun. meeting is canceled. In Oregon at least in the valley, few know how to drive on the white stuff. We all go out and celebrate by getting into accidents and keeping our insurance adjuster company.

I drove my truck down the I-5 corridor in November of 2009 (?) to avoid the route down 97 through Bend which I thought would be too hazardous. Well, I got caught in an ice storm around Medford which I was told was rare. The rain was freezing as soon as it hit the road and windshield, there were jackknifed rigs everywhere. It rained so hard that the wipers weren't doing any good, so I got a room in Medford for the night. Turned out that the 97 route was much better that week, go figure :)

That's the bad part about Oregon is the freezing rain. I think it has something to do with a temperature inversion. This morning we had freezing rain for about an hour and then it turned to snow. Just went out in it and it is up to a whopping inch now. Down south around Medford and Ashland it gets really bad. It was a good call to get a room.

We cannot incite if we are not in sight.___Heb.10:24,25

We have about 3-4 inches on the ground, they said we had 7 inches but I'm not seeing it! I wish! We at least have no grass showing for a change! I love it! It is so pretty! We went out in service yesteday for a couple of hours only, the wind was pretty biting. Today, sun is shining and the meeting was great!

Just got back from sledding with the kids! What a perfect day for it! Warm enough, not to windy and enough snow for some awesome speed on the hill! The girls had a great time! Home now, hot chocolate, tea and coffee! A good day! Awesome meeting to start and some good quality fun, our Bible reading to round off a truly PERFECT DAY! Hope everyone who lives around Ohio had a chance to enjoy this beautiful day!

:sunshine::tea: :readbible:

This week was our CO visit...

During the opening prayer on Tuesday night, the Brother mentioned being thankful for receiving so many good things from God, even the simple things, like snow---

When Bro Landry took the stage for his opening remarks, he said 'just to be clear Brother, I NEVER pray for snow'.....

just sayin.............:cowboy:

Just got back from sledding with the kids! What a perfect day for it! Warm enough, not to windy and enough snow for some awesome speed on the hill! The girls had a great time! Home now, hot chocolate, tea and coffee! A good day! Awesome meeting to start and some good quality fun, our Bible reading to round off a truly PERFECT DAY! Hope everyone who lives around Ohio had a chance to enjoy this beautiful day!

:sunshine::tea: :readbible:

Yes!!! We had a good meeting, the public talk was awesome (should be, was given by my uncle LOL!), great fellowship, came home had a nice lunch, reflected the meeting, went sledding with a bunch of brothers and sisters. Then... my youngest had to sled into a creek! LOL Yes he's fine. He didn't wanna go home. He kept saying, "I'm okay, I'm not cold!" I told him that it's not safe to be soaked and keep sledding so we came home. Ahhhhh... nice day so far!!!!

I am glad you all had a great day too! We just finished up our Bible Reading and Haleigh, my oldest, says "I really love doing this Bible Reading"! My heart soared! Not a better way to finish up the evening! Jehovah is good! Hope your little one is toasty warm now! Hot bath and Hot Chocolate shoulda done the trick! lol!

Just got back from sledding with the kids! What a perfect day for it! Warm enough' date=' not to windy and enough snow for some awesome speed on the hill! The girls had a great time! Home now, hot chocolate, tea and coffee! A good day! Awesome meeting to start and some good quality fun, our Bible reading to round off a truly PERFECT DAY! Hope everyone who lives around Ohio had a chance to enjoy this beautiful day! :sunshine::tea: :readbible:[/quote'] I just got back from sledding also...it was a perfect sledding day.40* the snow slightly melted on the hills so they were slick! Sam and his buddy.

76935=4302-082.JPG

This week was our CO visit...

During the opening prayer on Tuesday night, the Brother mentioned being thankful for receiving so many good things from God, even the simple things, like snow---

When Bro Landry took the stage for his opening remarks, he said 'just to be clear Brother, I NEVER pray for snow'.....

just sayin.............:cowboy:

LOL! That's because he's a snow-hater! Even Jehovah's servants have imperfections we must over-look! Bring on some more snow!