JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Elon Musk making “kid-sized submarine” to rescue teens in Thailand cave

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2110 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

https://arstechnica.com/science/2018/07/elon-musk-making-kid-sized-submarine-to-rescue-teens-in-thailand-cave/

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/714992/elon-musk-thailand-cave-rescue-mission-asia-world-news

Elon Musk tweeted on Saturday that a team of SpaceX engineers is hours away from completing work on a "tiny kid-sized submarine" that could be used to extract 12 teenagers and preteens who are stranded with their soccer coach in a flooded cave in Thailand. Musk has had a team of engineers working on the problem for the last couple of days and has been keeping the world updated on the work via Twitter.

Was only thinking of such a thing was possible the other day.

Edited by EccentricM

I trust any company that make a rocket land on a dime, so to speak, from outer space can probably right something to rescue those poor kids. Hopefully it can be done quickly.

Edited by Katty

I had wondered if they could sedate them and use a deep diving suit but it appears they need to walk in some sections of the tunnel. I wonder how a sub would work...

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

I saw the 'sub' demonstrated on our TV news. Looked more like a plastic sewer pipe section with air blowing through it. The sticking point is the narrow 'pinch point' being 38cm wide, or about 16 inches wide.

It is thought 2 cave divers shepherd each child through, I front and 1 at the back. Spare air tanks are placed along the 4 hours journey. The divers have to take the air tanks from off their back to squeeze through the narrow bits.

Hence they do not sedate the kids, as they have to have their wits about them.

One commentator here suggested the youngsters may not have as much fear of water as adults may.

So far only 1 life lost... a Thai Navy seal. Apparently ran out of air.

Older

{still waiting for the 'Wiser'}

1 hour ago, TonyWenz said:

All out. They did give them anti-anxiety pills....

Older
{still waiting for the 'Wiser'}

This senario is my worst nightmare!!

I think they would have had to knock me out & drag me! As I......

1) Hate the dark!

2) I’m claustrophobic! &

3) I can’t swim! 

They've been absolutely amazing all of them. I’m so glad the poor little lads are all out & in hospital now. 

7 minutes ago, Jothob said:

1) Hate the dark!

2) I’m claustrophobic! 

You probably would not have gone in the cave with them...:thumbsup:

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D