JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Ordering computers from Amazon Prime?

I'm looking for a new laptop and I have one in mind that Musky recommended.  I think ordering it from Amazon might be my best route for getting it delivered in a timely fashion.

I've always gotten my computers at Best Buy (or another box store).  My concern or question centers on protection plans or warranties.  I've never ordered something like this from Amazon.  Do they offer a protection plan like Best Buy does?  Warranties?  What happens if there is a problem?  It's not like I can just take the laptop into the Amazon store since I don't live next to one.

Hi Shawn

My experience with Amazon coudn't be better

I've bought from Amazon.com, Amazon.es, Amazon.co.uk, Amazon.de, Amazon.fr and amazon.it

With all of them I had to return an item and there is no questions asked (within one month). You are reimborsed of everything including the shiping costs. Sometimes you just need to deliver it to the post office with everything prefilled or take it to one of the distribution companies like DHL

My latest proble was a tablet that I bought that had the fingerprint reader broken. They sent me a new one and it took only 3 days to get it (from US to Portugal!) Only after I received the new one I sent the old one. There was no money involved in this!

As for insurances you can add a plan to it when you buy the item.

For example like this:

image.png.a66d5184e7e80edf88f54705aa7011c3.png

Edited by jayrtom

Hi Shawn,

1 concern is if a person buys a Laptop on Amazon but the order is actually from a 3rd party. If the seller is Dell or some major company that has a good return policy or warranty, then likely no problem. But if the 3rd party is some computer store that you are unfamiliar with, then you have to go specifically to this 3rd party's warranty policy to see if it is good. And then in the reviews if there are any people complaining about not getting any customer service or having issues with getting their money back, then these might be some warning signs.

Also, I have talked with office Depot and they often will match Amazon's prices. So if you find the same laptop at Office Depot but the price is a more, you can ask them if they will match Amazon's price and then if so, you will have a local store to help you with returns, warranty issues, etc.

There are several laptops I am looking at also after doing some research, I can send you the links if you are interested? Let me know, glad to help :)

"Create in me a pure heart, O God, And put within me a new spirit, a steadfast one" (PS 51:10)

8 hours ago, Beggar for the Spirit said:

There are several laptops I am looking at also after doing some research, I can send you the links if you are interested? Let me know, glad to help :)

Sure, send me the links. 

Thanks for mentioning 3rd party sellers.  I'll have to watch for that 

My laptop is failing so I'd like to know what you guys decide to buy...

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

• 1 month later...
Hi Shawn,

1 to help you with returns, warranty issues, etc.

There are several laptops I am looking at also after doing some research, I can send you the links if you are interested? Let me know, glad to help 

I also am looking to buy a laptop - windows

Could I have a link?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Over the last few years I have purchased TV's, laptops, desktop pc, and monitors from Amazon Prime. I have never had a single problem with any of them that Amazon didn't take care of thoroughly and speedily. I never paid for shipping either way if I did have to return. You're offered additional warranties and insurances before you check out but I always just went with OEM. If you need to return and cannot get to a UPS, Amazon will even pick it up from your home. I have never had to pay for that service either.. I always go with Prime if possible. As someone said, you may have a different experience with 3rd party sellers, although I have not, so far..

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..

On 9/17/2018 at 5:26 AM, Adrianne said:

I also am looking to buy a laptop - windows  
Could I have a link?

Hi Sister Adrianne,

I sent you the link/PM a few days ago, did you receive it?

"Create in me a pure heart, O God, And put within me a new spirit, a steadfast one" (PS 51:10)

8 minutes ago, Dove said:

Over the last few years I have purchased TV's, laptops, desktop pc, and monitors from Amazon Prime. I have never had a single problem with any of them that Amazon didn't take care of thoroughly and speedily. I never paid for shipping either way if I did have to return. You're offered additional warranties and insurances before you check out but I always just went with OEM. If you need to return and cannot get to a UPS, Amazon will even pick it up from your home. I have never had to pay for that service either.. I always go with Prime if possible. As someone said, you may have a different experience with 3rd party sellers, although I have not, so far..

Another advantage for me are the reviews you can read from others who have already purchased it. You have to be a little discerning sometimes but many times they have helped me make a decision one way or another; they are pretty on right most of the time..

Edited by Dove

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..

I would suggest few things to look for spec wise:

business machine-  they are built tougher and parts are around longer.

2 hard drive slots-  one for SSD boot drive 250 to 500 GB  and a storage drive.

16 GB memory now a days.

both AMD and Intel are good now; so don't shy from AMD if its ryzen family processor; if you don't need graphics card do an AMD ryzen "APU"

if your buying new then go with 8 thread CPU's and up to future proof your system

If your on a budget: and its older stuff:

go Intel

8GB memory

atleast 4 thread processor

still do an SSD---- if only one hardrive slot then 250GB space and use external storage.

still find a Business machine. for sure.

as much as i like windows 7...... if its a new machine your probly best to go with windows 10.... if older just know windows 7 is getting phased out.