JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Who applied for Special/International conventions this year?

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1905 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

On 11/2/2018 at 8:51 AM, DarinS said:

Wow

Family just got accepted for Athens Greece

yes it was our first choice...well my daughters first choice and we went along with it 

I was secretly hoping for one that is much more affordable.....lol

but I’m very excited .... now to work on paying for it

That's first on my list... I hope they're just making their way West with the invitations!

Well, I text my Secretary to ask if he knows the status of my application, since some Friends in our Hall were selected as they 'applied as a group'. So, it turns out, my application which I vividly recall submitting to the Brother (by hand) was not entered into the system. I ask him "I thought the Service Overseer had to sign off? He said ' yes,' , so no copy was made? I just moved into the Hall recently and I love and appreciate my Elders. I was not ask to participate with the other group who I go out in service with many of times, so it is ok. I was nonchalant and said ' it's ok'. He told me he will check the file cabinet (maybe he filed it) at the Hall on Friday. If it was his mistake ' he'll send me on vacation in the New World'. I replied " I will come and find you for sure' .

2 hours ago, nicolette said:

Well, I text my Secretary to ask if he knows the status of my application, since some Friends in our Hall were selected as they 'applied as a group'. So, it turns out, my application which I vividly recall submitting to the Brother (by hand) was not entered into the system.

I'm so sorry.  I can imagine you must be disappaointed.  😥

Well, I text my Secretary to ask if he knows the status of my application, since some Friends in our Hall were selected as they 'applied as a group'. So, it turns out, my application which I vividly recall submitting to the Brother (by hand) was not entered

Mia, I'm just in shock. I guess it will hit me when my Friends will start to talk about the trip. I called one of my Best Friends and she is upset but it has not hit me yet. I wonder if I should text my Service Overseer, I'm sure he would remember those who applied. But I'm hesitant. I will wait until Friday to hear from the Secretary. Who knows what 2019 will bring. I was thinking of applying for a new job and did not (more vacation time) and I will have to move, so... who knows only our Father. I have no ill toward the Elder. I really like them and it was a mistake or an oversight. I am known as a 'Nagger', I would have text him, call him for any update - if he were my former Secretary. Thanks for all the 😥

15 minutes ago, nicolette said:

Well, I text my Secretary to ask if he knows the status of my application, since some Friends in our Hall were selected as they 'applied as a group'. So, it turns out, my application which I vividly recall submitting to the Brother (by hand) was not entered

So you never received the confirmation email.......I feel so sorry for you....

maybe because it is the fault of the Elder, they can still put it in ....

18 hours ago, nicolette said:

Well, I text my Secretary to ask if he knows the status of my application, since some Friends in our Hall were selected as they 'applied as a group'. So, it turns out, my application which I vividly recall submitting to the Brother (by hand) was not entered into the system. I ask him "I thought the Service Overseer had to sign off? He said ' yes,' , so no copy was made? I just moved into the Hall recently and I love and appreciate my Elders. I was not ask to participate with the other group who I go out in service with many of times, so it is ok. I was nonchalant and said' it's ok'. He told me he will check the file cabinet (maybe he filed it) at the Hall on Friday. If it was his mistake ' he'll send me on vacation in the New World'. I replied " I will come and find you for sure' .

For future reference - you should get a response email from the branch confirming your submittal

If you do not have within 3 days of submitting the app - ask the secretary

--This happened with my wife and I - mail got lost - when we applied for international work....

but Jehovah opened other doors for us

I also recommend submitting the application the day the announcement is made --- those that wait a while often do not receive notice ( my lesson learned the hard way)

so If its announced Sunday - get an app - physical or email and submit it that day - then you can follow up midweek meeting on status

I did have to share with our new secretary that it needs to be entered immediately since they tend to go in order of submission when reviewing for acceptance

46 minutes ago, DarinS said:

For future reference - you should get a response email from the branch confirming your submittal

--This happened with my wife and I - mail got lost - when we applied for international work....

I also recommend submitting the application the day the announcement is made --- those that wait a while often do not receive notice ( my lesson learned the hard way)

so If its announced Sunday - get an app - physical or email and submit it that day - then you can follow up midweek meeting on status

I did have to share with our new secretary that it needs to be entered immediately since they tend to go in order of submission when reviewing for acceptance

Thank you my Brother. Yes, you live and learned. Our Brothers are imperfect. Duly noted. I hope Jehovah opens a door for me- which is why I'm ' ok' with whatever the outcome. I w

1 hour ago, DarinS said:

Not always. For example my application id was number 4,### and a family that got selected to go from our hall was id number 106,###. 

Nicolette, I can sympathize with your plight.  When the call went out for brothers and sisters, including married couples, to go to Houston, TX for relief work help, we were told that they were specifically looking for people who could help in administration/logistics, and on an indefinite basis.  My wife and I immediately applied.  Then we heard that others were being invited to go, and we never heard anything.  I finally approached the coordinator and secretary and found out that they had not submitted it before the deadline, despite the fact that we turned in our applications way before that date.

We were very disappointed, even somewhat bitter, but prayed about it and got over it in time.  We now have no ill will or resentment towards those brothers.  But the interesting thing is that about a month after all of this, my mother got extremely sick and had to be intubated in ICU for almost 3 weeks.  Turns out she had been getting sicker and sicker over the previous 6 months and was very close to dying.  The doctors even said that we needed to talk to paliative care/hospice about keeping her comfortable because she was likely not going to survive once the breathing tube came out.  During those weeks, I stayed most nights with her, read her the Watchtower, put on theocratic music.  Many from our congregation came and visited her.  

At the time of her sickness, she had been inactive without going to meetings for more than 20 years.  Thankfully, she recovered, and now goes to meetings when she can, and has been putting more effort into returning to Jehovah.

My wife and I often wonder if we would have returned to care for her so much, if we would have gone to Houston.  My sister is here and would have taken care of her, and most likely would have pushed for us to stay in Houston.  But my mom wouldn't have gotten any spiritual attention; my sister is also inactive with no real interest in the truth.

I'm not saying Jehovah made those elders forget to turn in our application because He knew we'd be needed, especially in a spiritual sense, here at home.  But we wonder. . .

:perplexed:

23 hours ago, LRJW said:

Nicolette, I can sympathize with your plight.  When the call went out for brothers and sisters, including married couples, to go to Houston, TX for relief work help, we were told that they were specifically looking for people who could help in administration/logistics, and on an indefinite basis.  My wife and I immediately applied.  Then we heard that others were being invited to go, and we never heard anything.  I finally approached the coordinator and secretary and found out that they had not submitted it before the deadline, despite the fact that we turned in our applications way before that date.

We were very disappointed, even somewhat bitter, but prayed about it and got over it in time.  We now have no ill will or resentment towards those brothers.  But the interesting thing is that about a month after all of this, my mother got extremely sick and had to be intubated in ICU for almost 3 weeks.  Turns out she had been getting sicker and sicker over the previous 6 months and was very close to dying.  The doctors even said that we needed to talk to paliative care/hospice about keeping her comfortable because she was likely not going to survive once the breathing tube came out.  During those weeks, I stayed most nights with her, read her the Watchtower, put on theocratic music.  Many from our congregation came and visited her.  

At the time of her sickness, she had been inactive without going to meetings for more than 20 years.  Thankfully, she recovered, and now goes to meetings when she can, and has been putting more effort into returning to Jehovah.

My wife and I often wonder if we would have returned to care for her so much, if we would have gone to Houston.  My sister is here and would have taken care of her, and most likely would have pushed for us to stay in Houston.  But my mom wouldn't have gotten any spiritual attention; my sister is also inactive with no real interest in the truth.

I'm not saying Jehovah made those elders forget to turn in our application because He knew we'd be needed, especially in a spiritual sense, here at home.  But we wonder. . .

:perplexed:

Oh my heart went out to you my Brother Luke. Yes, this is what I'm thinking about. Does Jehovah have a plan for me, or will something happen which I will look back and say ' Oh, glad my application was not submitted'.  This is why I'm nonchalant about it. I could have made a big to do about it (call the Service Overseer to see if he signed my application) but I'm leaving it in Jehovah's hand. Not only I wanted to attend the Convention, I also wanted to see a dear Sister Friend of mine from 'across the pond' in England. She like me, have 'children who are sleeping in death'. I have the funds for the trip but I am more incline of spending my funds for the Convention and seeing my Sister. Thank you and your mom is back at the meetings!! HOORAY!! HORRAY!

On 11/14/2018 at 4:37 PM, Bluebell said:

So you never received the confirmation email.......I feel so sorry for you....

maybe because it is the fault of the Elder, they can still put it in ....

The Elder acknowledged and apologized e didn’t submit. He ask me if I forgive him “ Yes I replied “😘💕🤷🏽‍♀️. What am I going to do. I did ask him if he could resubmit the application and he said “ No, but he’ll ask another Elder”. I leave it in Jehovah’s hand. Thank you Friends for your comments and support.

Alright I could use some help.....

where do you go to find affordable flights?

trying to get something under $1000.00 for the Athens assembly in July

$1500-1700 —- that’s too much

finding some lower - with mixed companies.....

flights are crazy expensive

any tricks or thoughts?

Exciting to read about those who will be able to go to 2019 Conventions. We feel for those disappointed they missed out. My husband and I have never been to an international convention. Living in California we considered applying for Toronto which would put us closer to visit Warwick. However we are in our 80’s and after reading the instructions decided it would probably not be wise to attempt such a trip which would require a fair amount of strength and energy. Now hope we can still try for Warwick. Maybe on a less intense level. Will be praying for those attending and look forward to the reports after. 

8 hours ago, DarinS said:

any tricks or thoughts?

Try Skyscanner...and you could look for flights where Athens is a layover and not the final destination

12 hours ago, DarinS said:

any tricks or thoughts?

Also try Hopper and Hipmunk.  

Also Google Flights - you can ask to be notified via email of any fares changes, etc.

What we found is that it's far cheaper to fly from New York to Paris than from Albuquerque (home) to Paris.  From Albuquerque, it was about $1500, whereas from New York it was less than $600 roundtrip!  Thankfully we have airline miles on our credit card to get us from Albuquerque to New York without cost.  But if you can secure a cheaper flight from New York, maybe you can drive there from Florida, or get a cheap flight up there?  May come out cheaper than flying from your home to Athens. . . . .

On 11/19/2018 at 12:03 PM, GriffTiff said:

Try Skyscanner...and you could look for flights where Athens is a layover and not the final destination

On 11/19/2018 at 3:52 AM, DarinS said:

any tricks or thoughts?

Indeed. One thing I discovered (using Skyscanner) is to fly on a Tuesday (instead of Monday or Saturday for example) for some reason it can make a difference. Also, try “Any” airport in Athens or Greece instead of selecting the central airport (for example). Prices can vary a lot by playing with dates/airports/airlines. 

1 John 4:1 "Beloved ones, do not believe every inspired statement, but test the inspired statements to see whether they originate with God, for many false prophets have gone out into the world."

3 hours ago, shans81 said:

ooo let me know if any of you are heading over to Melbourne. We arent in Melbourne but South Australia but have been invited to the Melbourne convention. As i left the truth for 14 years this will be my first international convention since 1988 - i was 7 😀

When were you invited? Back in August? Or more recently?

so we finally booked them

the $1400-1600 had me scared tho

managed to get some for under $1000

my wife was worried about the long layovers....'then i reminded her 14 hrs in Barcelona....means we go visit Barcelona for the day 

and 12 hrs in London on the return flight

a sister @ Disaster Relief in Gulf Coast had just booked theirs for even less....but they have to drive to NY for the discounted flight

seems like OHIO was also $1600

thanx for all your suggestions

Much love