JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Mormon No More: Tabernacle Choir Renamed in Big Church Shift

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2021 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

The well-known Mormon Tabernacle Choir was renamed Friday to strip out the word Mormon in a move showing the faith’s new president is serious about ending shorthand names for the religion that have been used for generations by church members and previously promoted by the church.

Church President Russell M. Nelson announced guidelines in August requesting that people stop using “Mormon” or “LDS” as substitutes for the church’s full name. He said “Latter-day Saints” was acceptable shorthand.

Mormon No More: Tabernacle Choir Renamed in Big Church Shift (Snopes is a reknown fact-checking website)

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

"The full church name was given by revelation from God to founder Joseph Smith in 1838, according to the faith’s beliefs."

"But Nelson said in his August statement to urge people not to use Mormon or LDS that the “Lord has impressed upon my mind the importance of the name he has revealed for his church.”"

"The faith’s presidents are considered prophets who lead through revelations from God. Nelson, 94, ascended to the post in January when the previous president died."

"Beloved ones, do not believe every inspired statement, but test the inspired statements to see whether they originate with God, for many false prophets have gone out into the world." --- 1John 4:1

Mormonism is a demon-inspired religion from start to finish and is used by Satan to mimic and mock Jehovah and His true visible organization here on earth. It's not the Church of Jesus Christ and its members are not saints.

"The future's uncertain and the end is always near" --- Jim Morrison

"The more I know, the less I understand. All the things I thought I knew, I'm learning again" --- Don Henley

"The full church name was given by revelation from God to founder Joseph Smith in 1838, according to the faith’s beliefs."

"But Nelson said in his August statement to urge people not to use Mormon or LDS that the “Lord has impressed upon my mind the importance of the name he has revealed for his church.”"

"The faith’s presidents are considered prophets who lead through revelations from God. Nelson, 94, ascended to the post in January when the previous president died."

"Beloved ones, do not believe every inspired statement, but test the inspired statements to see whether they originate with God, for many false prophets have gone out into the world." --- 1John 4:1

Mormonism is a demon-inspired religion from start to finish and is used by Satan to mimic and mock Jehovah and His true visible organization here on earth. It's not the Church of Jesus Christ and its members are not saints.

You are certainly right. Just like every other false religion, they have nothing to do with divinely revealed truth and light. I’m just thinking that when we talk about them, it might be good to call them by their preferred names, just as we would like people to do to us. Out of respect and decency.
Very interesting. Curious to see what kind of success he has in implementing that policy. "Mormons" is such a big name, it overshadows "Latter Day-saints" in the minds of most people. 

Yes, it will be interesting to see if he has some success.

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”