JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Michael reaches hurricane strength as it heads for landfall along U.S. Gulf Coast

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1989 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Yes Mexico Beach is gone, Panama City pretty much destroyed. Hospitals had to be evacuated, only kept emergency room open. It's gonna be a long time to bring it back, if ever.

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

LIKE PUERTO RICO

No Food, No FEMA: Hurricane Michael’s Survivors Are Furious

Ingrid Arnesen

10.13.18 3:34 PM ET

PANAMA CITY, Florida—Hurricane Michael’s sudden transformation into an unprecedented storm haunts everyone on the Florida Panhandle who lived through it. “It was raw power,” says Panama City resident Walter McAlster, “you felt you were in it, not outside and didn’t know if you would live through it. You knew that everything was going to change the landscape forever.”

And it did, in the space of three hours.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/no-food-no-fema-hurricane-michaels-survivors-are-furious

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

That is an interesting article. It mentions the lack of supplies getting to the damaged areas but does no actually address how these supplies are supposed to get with all the rubble covering the roads.

Also, even though Michael was capable of destroying the area in "three hours", people cannot expect restoration in that same amount of time - but, those who refused to evacuate, like they were instructed to, think they should get immediate relief because they stayed in a storm path they should have left. 

As the relief and restoration of the area continues ... we can be fairly sure there will be no mention of OUR (JW's) efforts - even though we will be more organized and efficient than any other group engaging in organized relief.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

We feel your pain. Last year we went through a Cat 4. The winds hitting at 150mph for 26 hours (yes 26) was nerve wracking. 2nd worst in Australian history (Darwin Dec 1974 #1)
With no power and water for over 10 days, the go bag was good advice.
But it was the 2 Relief Teams - one from the North and one from the South - that were in the forefront of teams arriving. The were on the road, waiting for it to clear, and were among the first to arrive with supplies and help.
You can be sure, help is already on the road!
The disaster will leave scars, and some things will never be restored. But the love displayed will be the thing will carry you through. It will also bring a heightened appreciation for the love and concern Jehovah has for you in this time of need. It will be superabundantly displayed in the coming months.
We still talk about it.
The Good News is that these things will be done away with. But in the mean time we have the support to get through it.
Our thoughts and prayers are with all who experience the pain of this old system. The permant fix is not far away.

Older {waiting for wiser}

I have seen lots of relief efforts here where I live. The damage has been so bad that they will have trouble getting in the bad areas. They can only do so much until they get the debree under control. 

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

2 minutes ago, GrumpysWife said:

I have seen lots of relief efforts here where I live. The damage has been so bad that they will have trouble getting in the bad areas. They can only do so much until they get the debree under control. 

Is there any problem with gators in that area?

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

37 minutes ago, GrumpysWife said:

We are so relieved you are alright, Vernalee..Did you evacuate? Is your house damaged? Thank you for being here to report first hand about the friends and the Kingdom Halls.💓

Jehovah is "walking upon the wings of the wind" PS. 104:3b

cat2_e0.gif

45 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

Is there any problem with gators in that area?

We have one in our pond and if you go into other rivers and ponds, you will probably see one or two, but not like in southern Florida.

2 minutes ago, GrumpysWife said:

We have one in our pond and if you go into other rivers and ponds, you will probably see one or two, but not like in southern Florida.

I was wondering if stray gators would hamper the relief effort. Thx..

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

We saw two when we went fishing the last time.

One was about 5' the other was only about 2'

Last time I was down the state, we passed quite a number of them crossing the roads - but then, we were in the Everglades area :shrugs:

10 minutes ago, SUNRAY said:

We are so relieved you are alright, Vernalee..Did you evacuate? Is your house damaged? Thank you for being here to report first hand about the friends and the Kingdom Halls.💓

We live in a mobile home so we went to a friend's brick home to stay. We had no damage to our home, but many in our congregation had significant damage. We also have many friends in Panama City that we have only briefly been able to speak to. Only have very spotty cell service, and we don't expect electricity for a couple of weeks. We run the generator for a few hrs morning and night.

2 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

I was wondering if stray gators would hamper the relief effort. Thx..

I don't think they would be a problem.

3 minutes ago, Qapla said:

We saw two when we went fishing the last time.

One was about 5' the other was only about 2'

Last time I was down the state, we passed quite a number of them crossing the roads - but then, we were in the Everglades area :shrugs:

I have never seen them on the roads here but the one in our pond walks across our yard to go to the pond across our dirt road. Our alligator was about 2 feet when he arrived but now he's about 5 feet. After they get much bigger they move on to bigger bodies of water.

Vernalee, 

I have lived around Florida for about 58 years and have been without power after many hurricanes - I feel you having to run on the generator

We were without power for a week last year after Irma.

I also helped with the relief work after Andrew and have seen first-hand the devastation a hurricane can do.

The devastation I have seen from the news pictures reminds me of what I saw in and around Miami back during Andrew

Please take care and keep us updated

Our situation is not as bad as most of our friends. The generator is a pain for me because of the noise it makes and the finding gas for it. However I am counting my blessings because I can sleep in my own bed. We were able to have a shortened meeting in our own KH and Grumpy is cooking good meals for me. What more can I ask for? Even the weather has cooled down so we don't have to deal with terrible heat. I only wish I could do more to help my dear friends. 

Oh yes, and thank you John.😘

Thanks. I talked to a brother that does damage assessment for Disaster Relief and he is being sent to Florida next week to set up a team to assess repairs. 

image.png.433116bfc109aa8f7a79fd886aafaa85.png

I can understand why some would be "WOW" and even some being "Sad", I can appreciate the "Thanks" and the "Like" for posting this ... but, why would someone be "Confused"?

I just saw on The Weather Channel that they are going to have some information on about hot to avoid scammers after the hurricane :eek:

It is a real shame that scammers will add more loss on top of the loss people already suffered :nope:  

Makes me glad of two things

1. I do not live in the panhandle and Michael did not visit us
  2. Jehovah will soon take care of these types of bottom feeders