JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

US cutting aid to Central America - due to migrant caravan

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1976 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

7 minutes ago, Shawnster said:

The US is not cutting aid. The decision has not been made yet.  It currently is only a threat. 

Threats like sanctions were threats. I don't think any amount of money can stop caravans of immigrants moving towards the US. The news a couple weeks ago stated 2 million Venezuelans have left the country and have entered columbia or some have passed through. Some say its fake news also. 

How many other country watch the news and see some immigrants go through a few blockages and get some hope and courage and head out on that dangerous journey?

Some brothers have entered the US through mexico that have come as far Africa and Russia. Poor people making that journey. Things really are changing quite rapidly and decisions are being made very drastically.

Trump had warned Mexico’s government last week “in the strongest of terms,” to halt the caravan’s advance, and threatened to rip up a recently signed trade agreement with Mexico if Enrique Peña Nieto’s government doesn’t act to stop illegal immigration.

Sad situation...people suffer...probably many children marching as well...

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

I saw video on CNN today of Hondurans traveling and trying to make it to US.. some had walked for ten days? My six year old couldn’t walk for an hour without complaining... some of the kids only had diapers on. They were thirsty and hungry ... the news is trying to shine a light on these people’s plight to get here but I don’t think our current government wants to help.. made me sad to see so many suffering. They were walking such long distances they were losing one another... I can’t even imagine doing this with my child. They explained most didn’t WANT to leave their home but crime and poverty were so bad they would rather take their  chance out there .., I really hope these are last days.. I get so discouraged seeing people suffer. I wish I could help them all.

27 minutes ago, Whitley M said:

I really hope these are last days

There is no doubt....

27 minutes ago, Whitley M said:

I get so discouraged seeing people suffer. I wish I could help them all.

Your King feels the same, and he will help all of us...

I spoke to some brothers from Africa that made that journey up to the US. It took them walking through the swamps and jungles of Panama 3 weeks with children...some stripped naked, robbed, almost raped...one sisters husband was murdered. Horrible horrible stuff. Leaving one bad situation and going through another. 

12 hours ago, Santiago2020 said:

I wonder how many brothers are trying to enter the US

There should be none. Christians obey the laws of the Caesar which includes not entering a country illegally.

Of course, there are brothers who ignore that Bible advice, causing troubles for them and for others and bringing reproach on Jehovah's name.

Edited by carlos

13 hours ago, Santiago2020 said:

I wonder how many brothers are trying to enter the US

Shouldn't be long before the military is sent to US - MX border and the borders are shut down

https://www.rt.com/usa/441939-trump-migrant-caravan-emergency/

It’s a sad situation for many of those trying to flee their countries, trying to find a better life. Problem is, there’s so many criminal types and gangs that want to harm people in those countries. It logically follows that the government can’t just let unvetted caravans of people walk into the country. Many of these criminal gangs are constantly trying to enter illegally. That’s called an invasion. It’s considered so serious that the US Government allows the president to react to it, even without the vote of congress.

The problem is, the governments of these migrants are very inept and corrupt. We can certainly understand why their citizens would want to get out of there. Yet they’re hindered by laws put in place because of the criminal element. 

Governments cannot  eradicate gangs and crime....they can only try to manage it. In the process, many innocent people suffer.

It’s like sin, disease, and death..... only Jehovah can fix theses systematic problems. 

Edited by Pjdriver

"If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem." (tu)  

All spelling and grammatical errors are for your enjoyment and entertainment only and are copyright Burt, aka Pjdriver.

1 hour ago, carlos said:

There should be none. Christians obey the laws of the Caesar which includes not entering a country illegally.

Of course, there are brothers who ignore that Bible advice, causing troubles for them and for others and bringing reproach on Jehovah's name.

It's not as black and as this.  The influx of illegal aliens to the US might more rightly be considered refugees.  They are more closely related in spirit to the European and Middle Eastern refugees escaping Syria and other areas of conflict. 

It may not be a literal war zone but Central and South America is so rife with violence from criminal gangs and drug cartels that it might as well be.  In addition some of the legitimate governments like Venezuela are oppressive to the point of literally starving citizens instead of providing life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. 

It's possible there are some Witnesses in the caravan.  Sisters who must be in subjection to their unbelieving husbands.  Brothers who would rather keep their family together rather than let their unbelieving wives or parents take such a journey.  Witnesses that might be more physically minded who cannot endure and would rather seek food and safety in another country than continue to face the deplorable circumstances they currently live in. 

Most often refugees acts are illegal acts.  People who fled Soviet oppression did so illegally.  Perhaps some Witnesses currently fleeing Putin's Russia are doing so illegally. 

2 hours ago, Shawnster said:

It's possible there are some Witnesses in the caravan.  Sisters who must be in subjection to their unbelieving husbands.  Brothers who would rather keep their family together rather than let their unbelieving wives or parents take such a journey.  Witnesses that might be more physically minded who cannot endure and would rather seek food and safety in another country than continue to face the deplorable circumstances they currently live in

Those are good points, thanks.

14 hours ago, Whitley M said:

They were thirsty and hungry ... the news is trying to shine a light on these people’s plight to get here but I don’t think our current government wants to help..

One Problem is, once you allow them cross the border....millions will become embolden to follow suit and it’s all downhill from there. 

It’s  not the current US government  to blame... its the central and South American government that can take care of its people.  

It’s like if you neighbor wasn’t taking care of their children, so they try to sneak into your house and help themselves. Who do you blame. The one breaking in and their parents or you for not letting them move in with your family? :coffee::bouncing::huh:

Edited by Pjdriver

All spelling and grammatical errors are for your enjoyment and entertainment only and are copyright Burt, aka Pjdriver.

4 hours ago, Pjdriver said:

One Problem is, once you allow them cross the border....millions will become embolden to follow suit and it’s all downhill from there. 

It’s  not the current US government  to blame... its the central and South American government that can take care of its people.  

It’s like if you neighbor wasn’t taking care of their children, so they try to sneak into your house and help themselves. Who do you blame. The one breaking in and their parents or you for not letting them move in with your family? :coffee::bouncing::huh:

It’s fair to say then, that Satan is to blame .... as he mismanaged earth terribly. 

Due to his arrogance he can’t demonstrate even basic economic skills ... 

Arrogance only produced greed and disadvantages all over the places ... 

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

I understand that those people are hungry, or fleeing violence or desperate. But sooner or later they will arrive at the border and come across a wire fence and armed soldiers. What are they going to do then? And if there are any brothers in that caravan, what are they going to do? If they joined voluntarily they are putting themselves in a very complicated situation.

I am not in America and am not very aware of how things are developing there. I don't know what their intentions and their plans are. Here where I live hundreds of people in a similar situation try to get from Africa into Spain every day. They come in big groups, climb three 6-meter high fences with barbed wires and attack the frontier police with stones or Molotov cocktails. In every assault several of them are maimed (some policemen are hurt too), some are killed, but a number of them makes it beyond the police line and are lost in the city. I sincerely hope there are no Witnesses among them.

On the other hand, since someone mentioned our refugee brothers, hundreds of them are coming from Russia or from Venezuela with a legal visa as tourists, then once they are here they claim refugee status. They don't come illegally, don't jump any fences and don't throw any stones at the police.

Edited by carlos

2 hours ago, carlos said:

I understand that those people are hungry, or fleeing violence or desperate. But sooner or later they will arrive at the border and come across a wire fence and armed soldiers. What are they going to do then? And if there are any brothers in that caravan, what are they going to do? If they joined voluntarily they are putting themselves in a very complicated situation.

I am not in America and am not very aware of how things are developing there. I don't know what their intentions and their plans are. Here where I live hundreds of people in a similar situation try to get from Africa into Spain every day. They come in big groups, climb three 6-meter high fences with barbed wires and attack the frontier police with stones or Molotov cocktails. In every assault several of them are maimed (some policemen are hurt too), some are killed, but a number of them makes it beyond the police line and are lost in the city. I sincerely hope there are no Witnesses among them.

On the other hand, since someone mentioned our refugee brothers, hundreds of them are coming from Russia or from Venezuela with a legal visa as tourists, then once they are here they claim refugee status. They don't come illegally, don't jump any fences and don't throw any stones at the police.

Illegal immigration is so common from Mexico, there’s a joke here in the States.

Why can’t  Mexico have an Olympic team???

Because, if they can——-run fast, jump high, and swim fast.....they’re now living in the United States.

On 10/22/2018 at 5:48 PM, Shawnster said:

The US is not cutting aid. The decision has not been made yet.  It currently is only a threat. 

Exactly! And if it should happen, nothing and no one can stop or slow Jehovah''s hand in taking care of his people. 

So if it's Jehovah''s will that his people come to the U.S. then it will happen! 

I forgot exactly what year, but I think it was in the 1980s, but the iron wall was knocked down, and everyone was praising the government. But what happened? Bible studies increased, etc. 

Now I'm more than sure that that government didn't intend for Jehovah's people to increase there, yet increase they did. Why? Because it was Jehovah's will that's why! NOTHING can stop his hand or slow it down!

So if President Trump wants to stop the influx of the people in Mexico, etc from coming to the U.S, more power to him. For if it's Jehovah's will that they come here, and gain the physical benefits including the spiritual benefit of learning about him/serve him here, it WILL happen! 

Edited by Luezette

Recently I watched a Netflix documentary about refugees fleeing  Africa that cross the Mediterranean sea and end up in a island in Italy. When they not die during the trip they arrive in really bad shape, dehydrated and starving . They are fleeing mostly from war. They are Muslims and Christians. The are placed in refugee camps and even if you send them back, their countries of origin do not want them back. It is really a desperate measure to risk your life and leave everything behind, your home, your friends, etc. It was very touching. The problem is there is no infra structure in the countries on the other side for them. No houses, jobs or schools for children. They are just segregated and isolated. Waiting for something to happen.  It is very sad and it is a problem without solution now. And if this system remains for a few more decades, it will grow  immensely.

Edited by Krusso

2 hours ago, Krusso said:

Recently I watched a Netflix documentary about refugees fleeing  Africa that cross the Mediterranean sea and end up in a island in Italy. When they not die during the trip they arrive in really bad shape, dehydrated and starving . They are fleeing mostly from war. They are Muslims and Christians. The are placed in refugee camps and even if you send them back, their countries of origin do not want them back. It is really a desperate measure to risk your life and leave everything behind, your home, your friends, etc. It was very touching. The problem is there is no infra structure in the countries on the other side for them. No houses, jobs or schools for children. They are just segregated and isolated. Waiting for something to happen.  It is very sad and it is a problem without solution now. And if this system remains for a few more decades, it will grow  immensely.

So Krusso what you're saying is that even if President Trump does succeed (only by Jehovah''s will though) in preventing them from coming to the U.S. so sends them back, that they have havoc awaiting them because their own people won't treat them fairly, thus, in effect, treat them as traitors? Well I only have this to say: that's HORRIBLE! Beyond horrible actually! 

Yet I still believe that it will only happen by Jehovah''s will, especially his people. 

And I think I should stop here lest I begin taking sides, which I surely don't want to do. 

Hi sister Luezette, I'm afraid horrible things like this will continue to happen, not according to Jehovah's will, as it is Satan who is controlling the world - Jehovah isn't going to interfere until it's his appointed time to put that thought into their hearts. Remember that illustration of a teacher and student? The teacher stays right out of it until the student proves his way is not the right way. The teacher can't interfere otherwise others may think the student is right. That goes for anything in the world ... Jehovah will only step in at the end of the lesson, or his appointed time.

Of course, for those dwelling in Jehovah's Land - the spiritual paradise can and do see him working on their behalf because they are no part of the world controlled by Satan.

Edited by Stormswift

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

7 minutes ago, Stormswift said:

Hi sister Luezette, I'm afraid horrible things like this will continue to happen, not according to Jehovah's will, as it is Satan who is controlling the world - Jehovah isn't going to interfere until it's his appointed time to put that thought into their hearts. Remember that illustration of a teacher and student? The teacher stays right out of it until the student proves his way is not the right way. The teacher can't interfere otherwise others may think the student is right. That goes for anything in the world ... Jehovah will only step in at the end of the lesson, or his appointed time.

Oh goodness you're right! I forgot about that. That's another thing I like about this site: it keeps us straight, gives us correction if and when necessary. 

Yet, at the same time I can't help but recall when those walls fell in the 1980s and Bible studies increased. That was not Caesar''s move or intention. 

Anyway, or either way thank you.

Hey! I just reread your comment. And my conclusion as far as the situition in Mexico or elsewhere like it is it was Jehovah''s appointed time to interfere in the Soviet Union as far as those walls were concerned. The same for Russia. It's wasnt Jehovah's appointed time. 

Sooo, the same for Mexico, and like countries...it's not Jehovah''s appointed time...at least at the time this is written. We have to wait and see. 

Wow! Jehovah educates us through whatever and whoever venue he chooses doesnt he? Lol. Thank you. 

Edited by Luezette

4 minutes ago, Luezette said:

Oh goodness you're right! I forgot about that. That's another thing I like about this site: it keeps us straight, gives us correction if and when necessary. 

Yet, at the same time I can't help but recall when those walls fell in the 1980s and Bible studies increased. That was not Caesar''s move or intention. 

Anyway, or either way thank you.

He moves for his people, if that's his will,  but he doesn't involve himself in political decisions involving issues like in this thread. What he may do, which is what he's done before, is move in his people to give these ones hope if their hearts are right.

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

I'm sure the brothers are taking the opportunity to talk with the people in the caravan, if possible, and there are always brothers on both sides of the border crossings. Probably where the people came from they were getting a regular witness, too, if it's anything like Mexico. Jehovah's making his name known. I saw three different carts today while I was driving around.