JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Ukraine passes new law on church property

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1896 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Not sure what it is about - there is no explanation with the link :nope:  and I don't like to click on unexplained links that do not include information about what will be found at the link

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

New legislation passed in Ukraine. Here is an excerpt:

"The controversial bill dubbed 'robbing church property' sought to amend Ukraine's law on religious freedoms by establishing a procedure, under which a religious community could formally change its allegiance. It said 'self-identified' members, or a community, could hold a gathering and vote to switch from one religious organization to another by a simple majority. This would result, among other things, in the property belonging to the community, like a church building, changing hands.

The Ukrainian Orthodox Church saw the bill as a threat to its rights. It would allow, for example, a malicious actor to use rent-a-crowd tactics to legally snatch property. A group of people bussed to a small town could simply declare themselves members of its Orthodox community and force it to become part of a Kiev-backed religious organization.

Other religious groups voiced objection to the bill too. Ukrainian Lutherans rejected the very idea that a person may self-identify as one, since they accept people into their community only after teaching him or her how to be one, for example. Some Muslim communities voiced concerns that their mosques could be seized and converted into Christian churches under the proposed law." 

The article, in its entirety, is probably worth a read. I wonder if they could do this with the KHs over there. 😑

New legislation passed in Ukraine. Here is an excerpt:

"The controversial bill dubbed 'robbing church property' sought to amend Ukraine's law on religious freedoms by establishing a procedure, under which a religious community could formally change its allegiance. It said 'self-identified' members, or a community, could hold a gathering and vote to switch from one religious organization to another by a simple majority. This would result, among other things, in the property belonging to the community, like a church building, changing hands.

The Ukrainian Orthodox Church saw the bill as a threat to its rights. It would allow, for example, a malicious actor to use rent-a-crowd tactics to legally snatch property. A group of people bussed to a small town could simply declare themselves members of its Orthodox community and force it to become part of a Kiev-backed religious organization.

Other religious groups voiced objection to the bill too. Ukrainian Lutherans rejected the very idea that a person may self-identify as one, since they accept people into their community only after teaching him or her how to be one, for example. Some Muslim communities voiced concerns that their mosques could be seized and converted into Christian churches under the proposed law." 

The article, in its entirety, is probably worth a read. I wonder if they could do this with the KHs over there.

Why would Russia Today write something unfavourable about the Ukraine?

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

Is this not an article about a bill passed in Ukraine? Did I misunderstand something? 

The RT is a government controlled Russian news outlet, and right now it seems to be in the interest of the Russian government to trash the Ukraine. Hence my question.

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”