JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Seed Catalogs: The First Sign of Spring

I love how my seed catalogs start coming in the mail when there are still 3 feet of snow on the ground. :D

I always consider the arrival of the first catalog as the first sign of Spring and paging through them

always seems to help see me through the long, dragged out tail end of winter.

Seed_Catalogs.jpg

seed-catalogs.jpg?sha=fbebd659eee12ae4

seedcatalogwp.jpg.4ea5a7231796cf168c048c131c039688.jpg

Anybody got a favorite?

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

My 3 favorites are Baker Creek Heirloom, Seed Saver and Adaptive Seed. My Adaptive catalog is specifically for the Pacific NW, Oregon actually. Our more mild climate on the coast means we struggle to grow melons and other heat loving fruit/veg but they have saved seed from years, sometimes 200 years, ago and they're specific for our climate. I also appreciated that they worked with the Organic Seed Growers Conference, keeping things very diverse.

I'm ordering a melon that's the size of a grapefruit- Farthest North Mix and another called Kazakh. Both should grow here.  

995296594_2019seed(606x1077).thumb.jpg.a6b6471203f236100269f59ba3d1ae55.jpg

1922229129_seeds(1077x606).thumb.jpg.781b0b0612586287da5c7dbc6787c45a.jpg

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

How's your soil there Annie? Mine, now, is rich and fluffy with few rocks or roots. It took me 5 years of adding mulch, straw, grass clippings, food scraps and lots of manure to make it this way. I live within walking distance of the ocean so we have dirty sand here. And everything eventually sinks into the sand so it's a yearly battle of adding more manure. 

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

My soil is very dark and peaty, like much of Ireland really.. also we don't have a great depth of top soil.

Because I'm right next to the sea I have free access to seaweed thankfully... your soil actually sounds beautiful Cheryl.

You can't walk with God while holding hands with the Devil.

So root veg might not be something you can do much of then? I'm glad you use seaweed too, 2-3 years ago I put a mass of it in my garden and it went great.

My soil is so beautiful Annie that when it dries out, doesn't take long, I love to go out and run my fingers through it, on hands and knees and bare footed!  It's taken so long to get it to this point and I am truly grateful. I asked if I could get another 2 utility trailers full of manure this spring. Each trailer can take 6 John Deer tractor bucket fulls! Even if I have to pile it up in the corner of the garden I want to get it here. The stuff I found is at the bottom of a 30 year old pile of organically contributed horse manure. Black and rich. Ummmmm

• 4 weeks later...

Yay! I ordered seeds yesterday to go with the seeds I already have. I ordered from Pinetree Garden Seeds and Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds. I still have seed from several other companies that I am sure are still viable, especially Southern Exposure Seed Exchange. Supposed to get my trays next week and set up my shelves and lights to start. It’s not really warm enough to start outdoors here yet. Last frost for this area is first to second week of May. This will be my first garden on this property. I am soooo excited. 

Peace...... Love...... &....... Paradise...... :heart:  :heart:  :heart: 

15 hours ago, anniebea said:

Sometimes we get together and have seed swaps... or share the seeds we have, I think that's a great idea!

I do the same thing with a couple people here. Love the diversity. 

Edited by bagwell1987

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Hi, 

This year I'm going to try starting my seeds in gallon size milk cartons. They make a mini greenhouse. There's online videos that show this technique.

Then I'm going to plant those that survive into compost-in-place containers that Robbie of

robbieandgarygardeningeasy.com explains so thoroughly

As long as I have this husband of mine, I'll not be able to improve our soil as Cheryl has...

• 1 month later...