JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Ashwagandha Supplement

I use alternatives a lot.  I recently got some Ashwagandha supplements which are said to be good for stress.  I have a lot of it right now due to dealing with the affairs of an unbaptized relative outside my household.  Anyway, Ashwagandha is said to helps you handle stress better.  It's supposed to be subtle.  I've only taken it a few times so I can't say I feel anything physically. I will have to take it consistently and see how I deal with stress. 

Ashwagandha  is also said to help with adhd, emotional related issues.

I have seen major changes in my 17 year old daughter's mood/energy level last week when I had her take it.  She (I'll call twin 1) and her twin (I'll call twin 2) was diagnosed with ADHD as toddlers and were on the medication called Concerta for a little less than a year.  She (twin 1) complained her heart was hurting and they were like zombies not their bubbly selves.  They ran a lot of test and could not find anything wrong with her heart.  We had them take them off the medication and I used a few supplements and diet to help them as they were growing up.  As they got older they don't take anything for adhd and I try to encourage them to eat right (limited junk food and eating fast food).  Her twin (twin 2) has blossomed into a social butterfly but she  (twin 1) is a little shy and shows some mood/emotional issues and has poor sleep habits.  She has started to like being by herself more and needs to sleep during the day a lot.  

Well last week something (twin 1) experienced and said after drinking a caffeine drink from starbuck for the first time caused me suggest she take 1 Ashwagandha capsules daily (1/2 the recommended dosage) to see how she felt.  Caffeine can be mood altering I explained and it may help with energy also.  She took it and boy the next day did we get a new person in the home.  She  (twin 1) was bubbly, talking a lot and was around us more and had lots of energy.   After a few days I told her to try 2 Ashwagandha capsules as it was the recommended dosage on the bottled.  Taking 2 was too much as she had trouble falling alseep.  I also noticed it helped with her attention.  She was also giving well thought out researched comments at the meetings whereas before her comments were brief and sometimes she'd stumble on the words.

Yesterday and today she (twin 1) was back to being moody, sleeping late, and snapping at her twin (in her defense twin 2 can be annoying sometimes and she's overly bubbly and overly talkative all the time🤣).  I asked her (twin 1) "did you take your supplement" today.   She said "no".  She also said she didn't take it yesterday.  We told her we can tell. 😟  I explained that the Ashwagandha seems to helps her with energy and balances her mood so she needs to take it everyday. She said she would.  

Seeing her success I'm going to go back and try it for stress.  I'm going to be consistent and see how I do with stress. 

Edited by lovjahupepl

I take ashwagandha daily and have for approx a year. I read that it's cumulative in your system so I'll continue. I used to get very stressed when I heard my husband's car pulling up after work. Not so anymore! Amazon has lightening deals on the one I take . It gets good reviews and it's very cheap that way. 

• 1 month later...
  • 4 years later...

Just saw this topic come up again so wanted to share more about Ashwaganda.  Recently, my in-law was going through a lot of stress (job related) and having a hard time getting things done.  So I told her husband who was concerned about her going on prescription anxiety meds because of possible side effects to have her try Ashwaganda first.  I told him that the results will be subtle (wouldn't feel any great change in the body) but she should notice she can handle more stress and can get things done.  When I checked with them a few days later his wife told me that she noticed that she was getting things done and was handling stress better. 

Edited by lovjahupepl

5 hours ago, lovjahupepl said:

Just saw this topic come up again so wanted to share more about Ashwaganda.  Recently, my in-law was going through a lot of stress (job related) and having a hard time getting things done.  So I told her husband who was concerned about her going on prescription anxiety meds because of possible side effects to have her try Ashwaganda first.  I told him that the results will be subtle (wouldn't feel any great change in the body) but she should notice she can handle more stress and can get things done.  When I checked with them a few days later his wife told me that she noticed that she was getting things done and was handling stress better. 

Nice to hear your experiences.  Yes Ashwagandha is a powerful adaptogen, and works very well without any additional support.  I have heard, though, that you should not take it longer than 6 months at a time.  If you want it to continue to be effective, and not have your body reliant on it, you'll need to give it a break after 6 months.

To aid with stress (and make it through the Ashwagandha break period), consider getting off of all caffeine (including decaf).   Caffeine blocks your body's natural ability to relax.  It's not hard to kick the habit...just cut it in 1/2 each day for a few days, and soon you'll be off of it without headaches (at least it was that easy in my case). Switch to tea, which is better for you anyways.  :whistling:

Last but not least, I saw online a technique to destress (I have not tried it yet, so I have no idea if it works) where you are supposed to lay flat on the floor, face down, and you just rock your hips side to side.  Allegedly this resets your nervous system so you're not stuck on the sympathetic (fight/flight) system, like we all tend to get stuck on.  But again, no idea if this actually works....I don't get stressed anymore since Dr. Kevin unstuck me & I got off of caffeine (except on rare days I need it).  So I have not needed to try it...