JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Male Pattern Baldness: How are you dealing with it?

10 hours ago, Lewis said:

I agree with the guy in the video, I don’t use shaving cream in a can. I use Proraso Shaving Soap with a shaving brush and for razor I use Gillette Fusion (has 5 blades) and its pretty smooth, the Proraso really does a good job relaxing your scalp so you can have a nice clean shave without cutting yourself all over.

Soap as in regular bar soap? That’s going to cut you like crazy.

Yes, regular bar of soap. I’ve used a bar of soap to shave my face and didn’t cut myself but when I shave my head it’s a bloody mess.

The Hebrew word cushi or kushi is an affectionate term generally used in the Bible to refer to a dark-skinned person of African descent.

26 minutes ago, Brother Jack said:

Yes, regular bar of soap. I’ve used a bar of soap to shave my face and didn’t cut myself but when I shave my head it’s a bloody mess.

I shave my head in the shower with bar soap, body wash, whatever’s handy but if the razor is a little too new or a little too old it may snag. Also it’s a lot about technique. Once you learn how your hair lays on the different parts of your head you can get a better and less damaging shave. Although I have learned to use a straight razor on my face effectively this is something I will not try on my head.

29 minutes ago, Brother Jack said:

Sounds like you'd be better off with an eletric shaver.

13 hours ago, Brother Jack said:

you think a bald head looks better than walking around with a thinning/receding hairline? If the answer is yes, then do it for yourself, not for other people. 

Unfortunately we must be prepared to allow for the peculiar conscience of others. Christian love  💕means that sometimes and under some circumstances it is possible that we of thinning hair may be asked to allow our MPB to grow out for the sake of the spiritually weak ones. This is because some view a totally shaved head as a sign of cultural or political alliance ( unjustly for those with total hair loss naturally). I’ve occasionally wondered if red heads are sometimes required to dye their hair when serving in areas in which red hair is associated negatively?

25 minutes ago, BenJepthah said:

peculiar conscience of others

Good wording there. There are some certainly who do have such. Not to start another beard thread, but that is one of the major reasons why there has been such a fuss over the topic for years.

I’ve occasionally wondered if red heads are sometimes required to dye their hair when serving in areas in which red hair is associated negatively?

And how sad if so. You wouldn't have thought you'd come across such would you? Sounds very immature. It's like when @Hope mentioned black sisters and their natural hair many years ago.

Edited by EccentricM

14 hours ago, Brother Jack said:

Do you think a bald head looks better than walking around with a thinning/receding hairline

Same diff.

I am a "Was Blond" now thin greyish ( really thin in one area ) thus i'm in dat same boat. 👴

Consciousness, that annoying time between naps! :sleeping:

1 hour ago, BenJepthah said:

I shave my head in the shower with bar soap, body wash, whatever’s handy but if the razor is a little too new or a little too old it may snag. Also it’s a lot about technique. Once you learn how your hair lays on the different parts of your head you can get a better and less damaging shave. Although I have learned to use a straight razor on my face effectively this is something I will not try on my head.

I never wanted to use a straight razor on my head. I don’t like the idea of shaving with just 1 razor blade. Plus, I’ve seen videos of people getting their heads shaved with a straight razor on YouTube and they all go with the grain. Shaving with the grain doesn’t give me a close enough shave. Plus it takes too long. I have coarse hair so it takes me longer, but it never takes longer than 15 minutes. If I rush through it, it may take 6 or 7 minutes. Can’t shave that quickly with a straight razor. 

The Hebrew word cushi or kushi is an affectionate term generally used in the Bible to refer to a dark-skinned person of African descent.

1 hour ago, EccentricM said:

Sounds like you'd be better off with an eletric shaver.

I meant it’s a bloody mess when I shave my head with soap. I hardly ever cut myself when I shave my head with shaving gel. I use an electric shaver on my face because I can’t use a razor due to curly hair/ingrown hairs. I have to do it every 3 days or I’ll start to get mild bumps.

Edited by Brother Jack

1 hour ago, BenJepthah said:

Unfortunately we must be prepared to allow for the peculiar conscience of others. Christian love  💕means that sometimes and under some circumstances it is possible that we of thinning hair may be asked to allow our MPB to grow out for the sake of the spiritually weak ones. This is because some view a totally shaved head as a sign of cultural or political alliance ( unjustly for those with total hair loss naturally). I’ve occasionally wondered if red heads are sometimes required to dye their hair when serving in areas in which red hair is associated negatively?

It’s like how some sisters in the Caribbean don’t wear dreadlocks because it’s associated with Rastafarianism and marijuana. Here in the southern United States, not so much. My mom and my aunt, who are both in the truth, has locs and I’ve seen quite a few other sisters with them. I’ve heard that that hairstyle is looked down upon in Western Africa too. One man told me “only riff rafts wear their hair like that”. That’s sad because it’s a natural black hairstyle. I know when I had an Afro, my hair would lock easily if I went a short period of time without picking it.

Even women with alopecia get tired of wearing wigs and hiding their condition and just shave it off. I found some good video/stories of women who got tired of it and just shaved it off but there were curse words. 

Even though I prefer a woman with long hair, I find it attractive when a woman has a nice shaped head and has the confidence to wear her hair really short. I love short hairstyles on women who have awesome shaped heads like Amber Rose.

ignore the annoying music...

This woman looks good. Too bad she doesn’t have the confidence to go out in public with a shaved head...

2 hours ago, Lewis said:

As annoying as shaving becomes at times, 

Yes, shaving your head can get old after a while. I find myself enjoying it more when I haven’t done it in a while. I used to grow my hair for a month sometimes and then cut it with an electric shaver before shaving it with a razor. I would really enjoy it. Also, I’m not a morning person so I tend to wake up with just enough time to get ready for the meeting. I hate shaving on Saturday meeting days because I hate being in a rush. I tend to enjoy shaving more when I shave on Tuesday’s for the meeting because I do it in the evening and I give myself more time. I play some music from my phone and just take my time.

16 hours ago, Brother Jack said:

Yes, shaving your head can get old after a while. I find myself enjoying it more when I haven’t done it in a while. I used to grow my hair for a month sometimes and then cut it with an electric shaver before shaving it with a razor. I would really enjoy it. Also, I’m not a morning person so I tend to wake up with just enough time to get ready for the meeting. I hate shaving on Saturday meeting days because I hate being in a rush. I tend to enjoy shaving more when I shave on Tuesday’s for the meeting because I do it in the evening and I give myself more time. I play some music from my phone and just take my time.

Yeah I shave every 2 days pretty much. I remember watching Micheal Jordan give an interview during his basketball career and he too shaved every 2 days but was on specific days of the week to match his games and special events. I do the same thing.

41 minutes ago, Lewis said:

Yeah I shave every 2 days pretty much. I remember watching Micheal Jordan give an interview during his basketball career and he too shaved every 2 days but was on specific days of the week to match his games and special events. I do the same thing.

Yes, I shave for every meeting. For years I would shave every 7 days but now I do it every 3, 4 days because I want to look my best for the meeting. I find that when I shave every 2 days I’m more prone to cut myself because the hair is so short and the razor struggles to grab the hair. It takes longer too. The perfect amount of time to shave my head is 7 days. The hair is the perfect length and the razor really grabs it. It’s fast. The bad thing is that because there’s more hair, the razor doesn’t last as long that way.

Tupac Shakur really made being bald cool in the 90s, along with the hip hop group Onyx. I was a big 2Pac/Tupac fan growing up and he made me want to shave my head.

97809E99-4B30-4864-A89B-47FD77677F78.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/17/2019 at 3:44 PM, Brother Jack said:

Tupac Shakur really made being bald cool in the 90s, along with the hip hop group Onyx. I was a big 2Pac/Tupac fan growing up and he made me want to shave my head.

97809E99-4B30-4864-A89B-47FD77677F78.jpeg

Funny, I thought it was Michael Jordan. ( I said this then saw the post above refers to his interview ) And for me it was actually an interview with Patrick Stewart that sent me down the hair reduction path. 

Edited by BenJepthah

To credit another post above

41 minutes ago, BenJepthah said:

Funny, I thought it was Michael Jordan. ( I said this then saw the post above refers to his interview ) And for me it was actually an interview with Patrick Stewart that sent me down the hair reduction path. 

While he looks good bald, I always thought Patrick Stewart had somewhat of a funny shaped head. If he can do it, anybody can do it.

3C3662C5-F46F-4476-A383-0915C0528DD4.jpeg

EDE7345E-1BD0-4F9E-A687-767ACCFD81F1.jpeg

3 minutes ago, Brother Jack said:

If he can do it, anybody can do it.

I take that back... not everyone can do it :lol:

Since i have turned 39 my hair has thinned in the front my new barber used this gel spray in my hair blow dry it and it fixes my hairline been using it for about three months but when my hairloss gets worse bald will be next. My wife and my father said it looks fine

Edited by navco

7 hours ago, BenJepthah said:

And for me it was actually an interview with Patrick Stewart that sent me down the hair reduction path. 

What did he say in the interview?

7 hours ago, BenJepthah said:

And for me it was actually an interview with Patrick Stewart that sent me down the hair reduction path. 

Was it this one?