JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Next BIG problem

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1779 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

The ageing population is a problem of enormous scope.

There's a meeting of G20 members taking place in Fukuoka, Japan to discuss this huge problem.  Health care costs, labor shortage, to mention a couple of issues.

Unfortunately, I'm reminded of the 1976 film Soylent Green.  It looked into the future and foresaw overpopulation and euthanasia as realities.

We already have legal euthanasia in the US. 

There's another movie that put the limit on lifespan at 40. Can't think of the title.  

This world simply has no solutions for anything !!!  Euthanasia or abortion is all they have to offer.

4 minutes ago, Doug said:

The ageing population is a problem of enormous scope.

There's a meeting of G20 members taking place in Fukuoka, Japan to discuss this huge problem.  Health care costs, labor shortage, to mention a couple of issues.

Unfortunately, I'm reminded of the 1976 film Soylent Green.  It looked into the future and foresaw overpopulation and euthanasia as realities.

There's another movie that put the limit on lifespan at 40. Can't think of the title.  

Logans Run?

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

3 hours ago, Old said:

Logans Run?

30 years in the movie. 21 in the book. 

A girl in the Netherlands wanted to die of euthanasia because she was living with the trauma of rape.  In the end she starved herself to death.  Nothing terminally ailing her, she chose to die to end her mental suffering. 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2019/06/05/noa-pothoven-media-got-dutch-teens-euthanasia-death-wrong-rape-right-to-die/1355269001/

4 hours ago, Doug said:

I believe you are incorrect in the above statement. Assisted suicide is legal in several states, the state of Oregon being one of them. The key difference between euthanasia and assisted suicide is that in cases of assisted suicide, the individual receives assistance, but ultimately voluntarily causes their own death. In euthanasia the individual does not directly end their life, but another person acts to cause the individual's death.  I believe euthanasia is illegal and considered a form of murder in all 50 states. Niether assited suicide or euthanasia is an option for a Christian.

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

6 hours ago, Old said:

I believe you are incorrect in the above statement. Assisted suicide is legal in several states, the state of Oregon being one of them. The key difference between euthanasia and assisted suicide is that in cases of assisted suicide, the individual receives assistance, but ultimately voluntarily causes their own death. In euthanasia the individual does not directly end their life, but another person acts to cause the individual's death.  I believe euthanasia is illegal and considered a form of murder in all 50 states. Niether assited suicide or euthanasia is an option for a Christian.

Agreed.  That is a real difference !

On ‎6‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 1:57 PM, Old said:

Right, Euthanisa is illegal nationwide in the United States.  Assisted Suicide is illegal in most States and in States where it's legal it has to be under certain circumstances.  Also, they're not optional for a Christian servant of Jehovah. 

1 hour ago, JW2017 said:

Euthanasia reminds me of Nazis.  They had a Euthanasia program that killed hundreds of thousands of people with disabilities.   

I am not sympathetic to the NAZIs but do you have authority for your statement of "hundreds of thousands"?

46 minutes ago, Old said:

I am not sympathetic to the NAZIs but do you have authority for your statement of "hundreds of thousands"?

I may have been putting it in my own words.

https://encyclopedia.ushmm.org/content/en/article/euthanasia-program

The statistics on the website for the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum are that the Nazis' Euthanasia Program claimed the lives of 250,000 individuals.  

12 hours ago, Old said:

6 death camps killed hundreds of thousand Jews in Poland 

Before the war  in 1939  3.8 million Jews lived in Poland, after the war only 400.000 survived. 

My proper Jewish grandma and grandpa were killed, my mum was raised by another Jewish family that survived ... 

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

5 hours ago, New World Explorer said:

Before the war  in 1939  3.8 million Jews lived in Poland, after the war only 400.000 survived. 

My proper Jewish grandma and grandpa were killed, my mum was raised by another Jewish family that survived ... 

I am sorry for your family history. That was not euthanasia, that was outright murder. :(

16 hours ago, JW2017 said:

I may have been putting it in my own words.

https://encyclopedia.ushmm.org/content/en/article/euthanasia-program

The statistics on the website for the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum are that the Nazis' Euthanasia Program claimed the lives of 250,000 individuals.  

Thank you for that statistic, I was aware of thousands, but you are correct based on that information.

5 hours ago, Old said:

Thank you for that statistic, I was aware of thousands, but you are correct based on that information.

Your Welcome.

11 hours ago, New World Explorer said:

I am so sorry for what happened to your family.