JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Two issues with latest version of JW Library

25 minutes ago, leoperales said:

Huh?

:confused:

In computer coding to make programs and apps function at the base level in the hardware systems, you have to talk to the machine in "binary" language.  Each tiny bit of electrical impulses in the coding is called a bit.  Generally, codes are written in 8-bit formats that are called a "byte".  Sometimes a short piece of code is only half as long. So 4-bits became a "nibble" (instead of a byte).  It is old-coders humor.

As a note: Binary language only has two different states.  We often refer to them as 1 or 0 (zero).  This means the electrical signal is turned 'on' or 'off', energized or de-energized. So binary code looks like....  10010100.  This has a specific meaning or number attached to it.  The computer will read that and look up what it is supposed to do.  So 8-bits are a byte and 4-bits are a nibble.

On 6/11/2019 at 2:44 PM, carlos said:

For several weeks already I am having two issues with the last version of JW Library for Android both on my phone and tablet

I have both issues and recently my app shuts down when I stream an audio file.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

3 hours ago, jwhess said:

In computer coding to make programs and apps function at the base level in the hardware systems, you have to talk to the machine in "binary" language.  Each tiny bit of electrical impulses in the coding is called a bit.  Generally, codes are written in 8-bit formats that are called a "byte".  Sometimes a short piece of code is only half as long. So 4-bits became a "nibble" (instead of a byte).  It is old-coders humor.

As a note: Binary language only has two different states.  We often refer to them as 1 or 0 (zero).  This means the electrical signal is turned 'on' or 'off', energized or de-energized. So binary code looks like....  10010100.  This has a specific meaning or number attached to it.  The computer will read that and look up what it is supposed to do.  So 8-bits are a byte and 4-bits are a nibble.

Oh...

One of my Android devices (new with 8.1 OS) started having a problem yesterday. I click on the app, the purple square comes up on the white background and that is it.  It just sits there until I get a system message that the app has quit working.  My older Android phone (with version 6.1) works fine.

My phone is 8.0.0. My tablet has 8.1.0 and both of them are having the same issues. 

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

4 hours ago, Tortuga said:

I have both issues and recently my app shuts down when I stream an audio file.

I just finalized the test of the issue and happy to report that Down Under all works good without any issues.

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

Yes, it does take time and data to reload the library components.
In the last year or two since my last reinstall, I had slowly (over time) downloaded many, many mp4's.
I am unable to recall what I even had. All the monthly BC programs, special book 'plug-ins', graduations etc - all now gone.
It's a pity that the reinstall does not 'look' for the old folder and pick them up. That would make a great difference to the data and time used to reload.

Just Older

I know we can restore our material with notes and so on.  It would be nice if we had the opportunity to just "back-up" all of our app selections.  then we could reinstall the app and just "restore" the backed up publications and media.  It might take a little time to complete but it sure would beat loading one book or movie at a time.

• 3 weeks later...

Running JW Lib app on my Android phone, it seems most of the issues have settled, except for 1 little problem.... I cannot make my song book a 'favorite'...
I go through the process, but it doesn't move.
I have deleted and reloaded the publication.
Anyone else having this issue?
Or just me... d428c69678bfcd778e749c297bd202d6.jpg

Just Older