JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Watchtower Library(iso) downlad from jw.org problem

I just downloaded and tried to install WL from jw.org. (Iso file) and will install but not start..I get the message

WL data files cannot be accessed, please ensure media is accessible and try again ..

Tried installing and reinstalling several times ..to no avail (running windows 10 -new to it)

HELP .....:wall:

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

1 hour ago, New World Explorer said:

I just downloaded and tried to install WL from jw.org. (Iso file) and will install but not start..I get the message

WL data files cannot be accessed, please ensure media is accessible and try again ..

Tried installing and reinstalling several times ..to no avail (running windows 10 -new to it)

HELP .....:wall:

Are you using the current version of Windows 10?  It should mount the ISO file automatically to run setup.  An older version may need a separate app to mount the file.

Are you trying to update (or install the Library over top of) an existing version, like WT Library 2015?

Just now, jwhess said:

Are you using the current version of Windows 10?  It should mount the ISO file automatically to run setup.  An older version may need a separate app to mount the file.

Are you trying to update (or install the Library over top of) an existing version, like WT Library 2015?

Had to mount virtual drive ..perhaps I need to run update on windows 10 ..got the computer yesterday.

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

1 hour ago, New World Explorer said:

Had to mount virtual drive ..perhaps I need to run update on windows 10 ..got the computer yesterday.

Ah! You got the computer yesterday! When I got mine it wasn't running the latest version of Windows 10. It took a couple of days for Windows Update to get it up to date.

However, from what I understand in the jw.org page, you shouldn't need a third-party utility to "mount" the file. That's only for Windows 7 computers. If I recall correctly, mine installed with no problems or complaints from the system.

Edited by Sheep

29 minutes ago, Sheep said:

Ah! You got the computer yesterday! When I got mine it wasn't running the latest version of Windows 10. It took a couple of days for Windows Update to get it up to date.

However, from what I understand in the jw.org page, you shouldn't need a third-party utility to "mount" the file. That's only for Windows 7 computers. If I recall correctly, mine installed with no problems or complaints from the system.

Don’t know technology enough Eric, but straight from Windows it wouldn’t go. 

Had to use another program to mount virtual drive ...problem solved now ..will keep in mind updating windows 

My laptop is Windows 10.
I had to mount.... (don't know what versions I was working with.)
But now that it runs the WTL, it updates ok. Phew.
When you said what happened to you, I remembered what I did...hope it helped.
Either way, glad you got it sorted!

Just Older

4 hours ago, Maʹher-shalʹal-hash-baz said:

My laptop is Windows 10.
I had to mount.... (don't know what versions I was working with.)
But now that it runs the WTL, it updates ok. Phew.
When you said what happened to you, I remembered what I did...hope it helped.
Either way, glad you got it sorted!

Just Older emoji3073.png

Yes it's fully operational ...:ecstatic:and updating ..also updating my Windows 10.

8 hours ago, New World Explorer said:

Had to use another program to mount virtual drive ...problem solved now ..will keep in mind updating windows 

Windows 10 includes a tool to mount ISO files. But if another software was installed that opens ISO files (such as WinRAR or 7Zip) the file will be opened with those. And that's not a good thing because they won't mount the ISO, just open it as if it was a compressed archive (which it is in one way). So you click on SETUP.exe and it runs but it can't find the rest of the files.

If that's the problem there's an easy fix: Right-click on the ISO file, select mount, then install from the drive it has created. Once it's installed you can right-click on the drive and unmount it.

2 minutes ago, carlos said:

Windows 10 includes a tool to mount ISO files. But if another software was installed that opens ISO files (such as WinRAR or 7Zip) the file will be opened with those. And that's not a good thing because they won't mount the ISO, just open it as if it was a compressed archive (which it is in one way). So you click on SETUP.exe and it runs but it can't find the rest of the files.

If that's the problem there's an easy fix: Right-click on the ISO file, select mount, then install from the drive it has created. Once it's installed you can right-click on the drive and unmount it.

Carlos, you're right, but I have managed to overcome the problem (done it the way you have described)  - Watchtower is running and fully updated ...happy :ecstatic:

3 hours ago, New World Explorer said:

Carlos, you're right, but I have managed to overcome the problem (done it the way you have described)  - Watchtower is running and fully updated ...happy :ecstatic:

I understand. But it could be helpful for someone else who has the same problem. :)

It's great that it's working. :thumbsup:

I'm glad that Windows 10 finally has an ISO mounting tool. For older versions of Windows, I would carry the Watchtower Library iso on a thumb drive along with WinCDEmu, it's a very good little virtual mounting tool. http://wincdemu.sysprogs.org/download/ You can also still use the ISO with 7z or etc compression tools if you right click the .iso and extract it all into a folder, then run the setup.exe file manually.

Edited by Myew