JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Remains of of Massive Jurassic 'Sea Monster' Found in a Polish Cornfield

Paleontologists in Poland recently unearthed the jaws and teeth of a monstrous pliosaur, an ancient marine reptile with a bite more powerful than that of Tyrannosaurus rex.

Pliosaurs, the biggest of the Jurassic period's ocean predators, lived around 150 million years ago. Researchers found fossils of this enormous carnivore in a cornfield in the Polish village of Krzyżanowice in the Holy Cross Mountains, along with several hundred bones of crocodile relatives, ancient turtles and long-necked plesiosaurs — cousins of pliosaurs — according to a new study.

"They measured over 10 meters [32 feet] in length and could weigh up to several dozen tons," Tyborowski said in the statement. "They had powerful, large skulls and massive jaws with large, sharp teeth. Their limbs were in the form of fins." Unlike plesiosaurs — which had long, graceful necks and small heads — pliosaurs had massive heads supported by thick, powerful neck muscles that helped them crush the bones of large prey.

https://www.livescience.com/ancient-sea-monster-pliosaur-fossils.html

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

• 10 months later...

Hello!  I've been really (**really**) struggling with evidence such as this. If we believe in an "old earth" and all the epochs of dinosaurs, it's clear (also based on evidence of predation in both the fossilized bones of prey and remnants of prey found in predators' stomachs) that these creatures were created to kill and consume one another long before man entered the earthly scene and all animals and man were at peace and ate only vegetation.

I hate suffering of any kind and have no way of reconciling how Jehovah -- who commanded the Israelites to care for their domestic animals in a way that would prevent their suffering -- also seemingly created animals that kill one another. And if you know enough about predation, the hormones that dull pain do not last long, and many deaths are not quick and painless. Suffocation, anyone? Parasites that grow from inside another creature and kill them slowly...? I could go on.........  

I have battled with this conundrum for years and it really affects me spiritually. I'd appreciate any insight anyone may have. 💙

As a side note, I discovered my second favorite book of all time: "Memories and Visions of Paradise." It's basically a deep dive into all the legends of paradise before "the fall" found among native people around the world - similar to the flood legends. I find some consolation in the fact that these stories often reinforce what the scriptures tell us -- that people and animals coexisted peacefully and man had a very close relationship with "the divine" before some darkness entered the scene and caused a massive alienation. It's super fascinating. https://smile.amazon.com/Memories-Visions-Paradise-Exploring-Universal/dp/083560716X/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

Edited by Cynefin

typo

"Christianity, if false, is of no importance, and if true, of infinite importance. The only thing it cannot be is moderately important." - C.S. Lewis

❤️

1 hour ago, Cynefin said:

also seemingly created animals that kill one another.

Seemingly created is the key.

We were created in God's image.

If suffering is detestable to us, it is because

we take after our Heavenly Father, Jehovah.  

The  Bible promises that the whole Earth

will be filled with the knowledge of Jehovah.

(Isaiah 11:9) (Habakkuk 2:14)

We don't need to have all the answers right now.

We just need to trust the  God of unending love and tender mercies. 

Hope this approach helps.❤️

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

2 hours ago, Cynefin said:

I hate suffering of any kind and have no way of reconciling how Jehovah -- who commanded the Israelites to care for their domestic animals in a way that would prevent their suffering -- also seemingly created animals that kill one another. And if you know enough about predation, the hormones that dull pain do not last long, and many deaths are not quick and painless. Suffocation, anyone? Parasites that grow from inside another creature and kill them slowly...? I could go on.........  

That's because Jehovah's thinking is higher than ours. Our compassion is misplaced when it comes to wild animals. Notice the Law gave commands about caring for domestic animals, animals designed to be cared for and have a relationship with man. Wild animals were never designed to harm man but may not have ever been intended to be kept as pets or otherwise befriended by humans. How wild animals treat each other is also a part of Jehovah's purpose as predation keeps populations from overgrowing and causing an imbalance within their ecosystems. We need to understand that and stop allowing the world's totally unbalanced view of animals from causing us to ignore Jehovah's higher thinking.

1 hour ago, Friends just call me Ross said:

If suffering is detestable to us, it is because

we take after our Heavenly Father, Jehovah.  

Our view of suffering can be misplaced. Jehovah's day of judgment will cause a lot of suffering. The world's present view of animals is misplaced as well.

5 hours ago, Cynefin said:

On the one hand, Jehovah doesn't approve of needless suffering.  On the other hand, Jehovah required or demanded animal sacrifices to cover the sins of Israel.  When conquering pagan nations, Jehovah directed that even the livestock be put to death.  With the exception of those animals on the Ark, Jehovah deliberately destroyed all the animals on the Earth during the Flood.  There were, no doubt, many animals that died at Sodom and Gomorrah.  Jehovah intentionally provided a ram for Abraham to sacrifice.   Jehovah set the example for humans to kill animals for clothing.  Jehovah allowed or gave permission to humans to hunt and eat animals.  

It's an interesting apparent contradiction that Jehovah presents of himself.  

8 hours ago, Cynefin said:

I hate suffering of any kind and have no way of reconciling how Jehovah -- who commanded the Israelites to care for their domestic animals in a way that would prevent their suffering -- also seemingly created animals that kill one another. And if you know enough about predation, the hormones that dull pain do not last long, and many deaths are not quick and painless.

@Cynefin I've had the same concerns about animal suffering, and there just doesn't seem to be a clear resolution to all this. I've fantasized that perhaps we're all in a Matrix and that when we wake up, it turns out no animals really suffered....but I digress. The point is, I don't think I'll have an answer to satisfaction in this system and I'm going to have to wait until Paradise to understand. Also, when I think about how Jehovah values life and sanctity of life, it's hard to believe that Jehovah sanctioned the Israelites to go to battle and take a life. Today that would be appalling to us. But those were such different times....and remember that Jehovah then told David that he couldn't build the temple because he spilled so much blood.

The Bible says that in the new system the lion will eat straw just like a bull, so if things are going to return the way they were meant to be, weren't animals and humans created to consume the vegetation of the earth? 

I live in a temporary reality- awaiting the day I wake up to life in the real world!

1 hour ago, cricket246 said:

The Bible says that in the new system the lion will eat straw just like a bull, so if things are going to return the way they were meant to be, weren't animals and humans created to consume the vegetation of the earth? 

Clearly not. We can't disregard the abundant evidence that some animals are predators and eat other animals. So the answer has to be a mix of the two. Wild animals will not pose a risk to our domestic animals but within their own realm there has to be some control over the population of wild animals.

On 9/24/2020 at 7:47 PM, McKay said:

That's because Jehovah's thinking is higher than ours.

We obviously have hearts that are treacherous. Our emotions often overrides our view of things and this has been our downfall. Our thinking/emotions is not balanced.

Therefore, Proverbs 3:5

Trust in Jehovah with all your heart,  And do not rely on your own understanding......

Do not become wise in your own eyes.

2 Peter 2:12
But these men, like unreasoning animals that act on instinct and are born to be caught and destroyed.

I don’t necessarily like these kind of answers but the evidence is overwhelming that Jehovah does not view his creation of animals the same as we do. So, while I may not like it.....what choice do I have but to “trust” Jehovah, accept it, and develop a more balanced view.

One of my sister-in-laws quit studying years ago because should couldn’t emotionally handle  the fact that her dog would not be resurrected. Very sad, and foolish indeed.

"If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem." (tu)  

All spelling and grammatical errors are for your enjoyment and entertainment only and are copyright Burt, aka Pjdriver.