JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Publication Unavailable

A month or so back (Nov-Dec), i was downloading some of the older books on JW Library.  I tried to download the book "Worldwide Security Under the Prince of Peace" from 1986 (it is or was a dark gray book).  When I clicked on it, it downloaded and then said that the publication was unavailable.  Over a period of a couple of weeks I tried to download it with the same results.  One day it was gone from the list.

Now, every time I open the JW Library app, the home pag loads, then "grays out" andf the "Publication Unavailable" error pops up.  I am not trying to download anything.  I tried cleaning caches, disk cleanup, optimizing and so on.  The  error message goes away the next time I open the app.  When I download or update any publication...the next time I open the app the error message appears again.

This is my Windows 10 PC and I have updated the Library app twice since this started.  Any suggestions?

pub.JPG

IMG_0871.JPG

8 minutes ago, DarinS said:

Try reinstalling the app

it worked once for a similar issue

basically you reinstall it over itself

have not done it recently tho

Thank you.  That idea is being held in reserve as my last resort.  Due to extremely slow internet connection service it would take many days (even weeks) to put all of the publications back after a reinstall.  Currently I am debating the slight irritation at the constant error message versus the dreaded reinstall pain.

I tried clearing the app history and every other trigger to the past I can think of.  It is just stuck in that loop that checks the downloads and sees that this requested publication never was downloaded.  Oh well...your suggestion may be the only one that works in the end....😎

44 minutes ago, jwhess said:

It is just stuck in that loop that checks the downloads and sees that this requested publication never was downloaded.

If so, would manually installing that publication through jwpub file just might solve the error? I would say it may be worth the try, at least before deciding to reinstalling the app.

Edited by YukitoMatsuzuki

7 minutes ago, YukitoMatsuzuki said:

If so, would manually installing that publication through jwpub file just might solve the error? I would say it may be worth the try, at least before deciding to reinstalling the app.

That probably would work.  However, It currently is not available for download (it has been removed from the list).  Thanks.

3 minutes ago, jwhess said:

That probably would work.  However, It currently is not available for download (it has been removed from the list).  Thanks.

This publication is still available in jw.org under Watchtower (Simplified).

https://www.jw.org/download/?output=html&pub=ws&fileformat=JWPUB&alllangs=0&langwritten=E&txtCMSLang=E&isBible=0

3 hours ago, jwhess said:

it downloaded and then said that the publication was unavailable

If you open JW Library, go to Publications, then the Downloaded tab, is it in your downloaded files or not? You should be able to delete it from there.
You might also try deleting one or two items that you've downloaded before, closing and opening JW Library, and downloading them again. Could refresh the catalog?

39 minutes ago, YukitoMatsuzuki said:

I was wondering the same thing however I couldn't find the jwpub file..

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

36 minutes ago, jwhess said:

John, after following Brother Minwoo's link, it was under Wt. Simplified..underneath it said "worldwide Security" and I touched the download icon. Afraid to open in JW Library, I opened it in Moon Reader and the image I uploaded here is what showed in Moonreader. I had the option to open in JW Library, but was afraid to! So then, when I pulled down the notification bar on my phone (Samsung), I tapped the download complete Wt. Simplified and it opened in the JW Library App automatically as the "Worldwide Security" book. Now it is in my older books list (missing before..like you said)!! I opened it and all the content is there!! Hope this helps you.😉

Screenshot_2020-01-15-20-00-47-1.png

Jehovah is "walking upon the wings of the wind" PS. 104:3b

cat2_e0.gif

9 minutes ago, SUNRAY said:

John, after following Brother Minwoo's link, it was under Wt. Simplified..underneath it said "worldwide Security" and I touched the download icon. Afraid to open in JW Library, I opened it in Moon Reader and the image I uploaded here is what showed in Moonreader. I had the option to open in JW Library, but was afraid to! So then, when I pulled down the notification bar on my phone (Samsung), I tapped the download complete Wt. Simplified and it opened in the JW Library App automatically as the "Worldwide Security" book. Now it is in my older books list (missing before..like you said)!! I opened it and all the content is there!! Hope this helps you.😉

The texts gets weird if you attempt to open jwpub file in any other application, as jwpub files are specifically designed only to be opened in JWLibrary. I'm glad to hear that the file opens safely on your device without a problem.

The reason this publication is listed under Watchtower, is simply because the abbreviation for both publication shares same literature acronym (ws; Worldwide Security Under the “Prince of Peace” and Watchtower (Simplified)).

54 minutes ago, YukitoMatsuzuki said:

The reason this publication is listed under Watchtower, is simply because the abbreviation for both publication shares same literature acronym (ws; Worldwide Security Under the “Prince of Peace” and Watchtower (Simplified))

Good catch! That may explain some of the issues he was having. 

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

@ John .....

we I suggested a reinstall.....

i did NOT mean to suggest you delete anything....

do not delete.....

just reinstall over the existing software

the content remained in my app......

just fixed the software glitch......but kept my content....last year 

I did download the jwpub file where Br. Minwoo said I could find it.  I did open it as a jwpub file in JW Library (as it is supposed to).  It loaded correctly and works fine.  I thank you for the download since I could not find it available in the usual list of older books.

Once downloaded, I closed the app, rebooted the Windows 10 PC and then re-opened the app.  All was clear, no error message appeared.  I opened the new book and it worked.  Then I noticed that another publication needed updating and I downloaded that one.  when I rebooted, the error message came back.  It seems that somehow the systgem is still looking for the book that I failed to download some weeks ago (my guess).  When it has to go look in the download files it finds the error of the missing publication and it tells me it is still missing.  So out of all this exercise so far, I have gained an older book and I am happy for that.  But the problem remains.

As to Br. Darin's comment, when I go to the Microsoft store and see my JW Library app, it says it is already installed.  It does not give me the option of installing it a second time, it only asks me if I want to open it.  When I agree, it opens and gives me the error message.  If I delete the app and reload it, it erases all of the files.  If I have a Watchtower backup, I can save my notes, bookmarks and highlighted material, but the other 1000 pieces of literature are goone.  I have done this twice on my Microsoft Surface Windows tablet.

I still recommend perusing the Downloaded tab from the Publications section of JW Library for anything related to the original file you tried to download and deleting it if it's there.

There is an app Reset/Reinstall function under Windows Settings -> Apps -> JW Library -> Advanced Options -> Reset, but it seems that it will be no different from an uninstall with regards to deleting your data.

4 hours ago, Myew said:

I still recommend perusing the Downloaded tab from the Publications section of JW Library for anything related to the original file you tried to download and deleting it if it's there.

There is an app Reset/Reinstall function under Windows Settings -> Apps -> JW Library -> Advanced Options -> Reset, but it seems that it will be no different from an uninstall with regards to deleting your data.

Thanks for the advanced options.  I have deleted and reinstalled the publication.  It only clears the error for the first time you reopen the app.  The next time you install anything it comes back.  I have tried deleting unrelated publications (even videos) but it only works once.  I will live with is for now.

I am moving to a house with very fast internet in a couple of month.  If I have to delete and reinstall all of the files, I will do it when I have a better connection.