JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Movies that mention Jehovahs Name

Hi Friends,

I remember a few years ago i was watching a film called Sodom and Gomorrah made in 1962 and usually watch these older bible films to see if they mention Jehovahs name.

Im sure this one did, can anyone confirm it ? And have you come across any other films that have Jehovahs name in the film ?

(NOT films that mention Jehovahs Witnesses as i imagine that is mentioned in many movies when a doorbell rings and we are the first people they think are at the door !)

Everyone knows Indiana Jones 3 so thats my 2 nd contribution to the list 😉

In the "Indiana Jones" film about the last crusade, there was a scene in the tense part of the movie where the hero has to walk across a flooe with trap doors in it.  To get across, he has to "walk in the name of God".  the hero (Harrison Ford) says that Gods name is Jehovah.  Meanwhile out in the other room, his injured father (Sean Connery) says the same thing.  Then Jones steps on the letter "J" and almost falls to his death and he says "Jehovah begins with an "I in Latin.  So God's name is mentioned 3 or 4 times in a row.

In the theater, the guy sitting behind me gets mad and says (out loud)..."what does this movie have to do with Jehovah's Witnesses?"  I think he totally missed the point...😎

19 hours ago, jwhess said:

In the "Indiana Jones" film about the last crusade, there was a scene in the tense part of the movie where the hero has to walk across a flooe with trap doors in it.  To get across, he has to "walk in the name of God".  the hero (Harrison Ford) says that Gods name is Jehovah.  Meanwhile out in the other room, his injured father (Sean Connery) says the same thing.  Then Jones steps on the letter "J" and almost falls to his death and he says "Jehovah begins with an "I in Latin.  So God's name is mentioned 3 or 4 times in a row.

In the theater, the guy sitting behind me gets mad and says (out loud)..."what does this movie have to do with Jehovah's Witnesses?"  I think he totally missed the point...😎

One of my aunts saw this in the theater and the woman in front of her heard the line "the name of God" and kept whispering aloud "Jesus, Jesus, Jesus." When Indy says Jehovah my aunt gently kicked the back of the woman's seat and said "Ha Ha!"

I still laugh when I think about that.

1 hour ago, OtterWriter said:

One of my aunts saw this in the theater and the woman in front of her heard the line "the name of God" and kept whispering aloud "Jesus, Jesus, Jesus." When Indy says Jehovah my aunt gently kicked the back of the woman's seat and said "Ha Ha!"

I still laugh when I think about that.

I had a similar experience.  I was in the theater and when they said Jehovah, the lady next to me goes "WHAT!?!"

3 hours ago, Cheeks said:

Technically a concert film but U2 plays their song Yahweh live:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEV-Y3b_hvw

https://forward.com/culture/207054/the-secret-jewish-history-of-u2/

"While many of U2’s lyrics refer to Christian scripture, as far back as the band’s very first hit, “I Will Follow,” they’ve also made extensive use of Jewish themes and imagery." 

7 minutes ago, OtterWriter said:

Batman V Superman.

Lex Luthor says "Jehovah" when comparing Superman to other gods from history. Little do they really know.

Side point.

The creator of Superman took the idea from Jesus.

Jesus comes from outer space to earth to save mankind and hides from the crowds. Sound familiar?

Edited by Luigi62

7 minutes ago, Luigi62 said:

Side point.

Jesus comes from outer space to earth to save mankind and hides from the crowds. Sound familiar?

Interestingly, when Superman IV: The Quest for Peace came out when I was a kid, we used to jokingly call it "Superman: The Prince of Peace" because of the similarities.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 1/28/2020 at 7:27 AM, Luigi62 said:

The TV show “my wife and kids”

The first generation of Wayans grew up Witnesses, they reference them a lot in their work, so not surprised since it's Damon Wayans show. There are somewhat recent pictures of him attending memorials with his family members, I don't know what he's doing now, I know he quit a show to spend more time with his family a bit ago, but based on what little I know, one might say he's an inactive Witness who still attends memorials. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/28/2020 at 7:34 AM, Luigi62 said:

Side point.

The creators of Superman, Joe Shuster and Jerry Siegel were both Jewish. The name Kalel means "All that is God" (I think), the article I read was 20 years ago.

Edited by Witness1970