JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

How can one make a mask that will be effective against the COVID-19 virus ?

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/live/2020/apr/01/us-coronavirus-news-donald-trump-white-house-live-latest Dr Anthony Fauci, the country’s top infectious disease expert, similarly said yesterday that it’s possible health officials will recommend more widespread mask usage if they can be assured it won’t cause supply issues for medical professionals. The conversations indicate America may soon follow in the footsteps of countries like China and Italy, where mask usage was mandated as they fought the virus.

Jehovah is "walking upon the wings of the wind" PS. 104:3b

cat2_e0.gif

2 hours ago, rlyem said:

I hope this will be helpful. As I've seen this post in my newsfeed couple of weeks ago shared by one of my friend

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=2226573240779540&id=560094574094090 :)

Thank you! Just found out Florida will be under a stay at home order! Will read this soon...

cat2_e0.gif

1 hour ago, SUNRAY said:

Thank you! Just found out Florida will be under a stay at home order! Will read this soon...

We've been there, we thought we would use it but we end up not using some of our face masks. If its a washable one, use them only once a day. Its a video showing how to make a face mask from paper towels or from a large piece of cloth :)

All glory and praises goes to Jehovah :) 

1 minute ago, rlyem said:

We've been there, we thought we would use it but we end up not using some of our face masks. If its a washable one, use them only once a day. Its a video showing how to make a face mask from paper towels or from a large piece of cloth :)

Thank you for sharing!

cat2_e0.gif

Hi Elizabeth, 

I thought you might appreciate the following information and offer, here is the link:

https://jwtalk.net/topic/44607-fun-free-specials-things-to-do-during-this-crisis/?tab=comments#comment-721526

"Create in me a pure heart, O God, And put within me a new spirit, a steadfast one" (PS 51:10)

39 minutes ago, Beggar for the Spirit said:

Hi Elizabeth, 

I thought you might appreciate the following information and offer, here is the link:

https://jwtalk.net/topic/44607-fun-free-specials-things-to-do-during-this-crisis/?tab=comments#comment-721526

Thanks Neil! :lol:

cat2_e0.gif

The local government is now recommending cloth face masks in addition to social distancing. 

Just ensure you know the safest way to don and doff your PPE.

An easy way to remember what to do when doffing a mask is to pretend someone splattered you with wet paint and you dont want to get it on anything. 

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

On 4/5/2020 at 6:50 AM, Shawnster said:

a bandana mask 

Wow!!! I thought of this when I took my socks off!! These white socks are white and thick and cotton..$1 a pair from Dollar Tree! If you stretch the large size (for men), it will even cover the ears! Poke a hole at each end and cut 2 strips from an old pair..Tie behind head! One pair makes 2 masks! 50 cents a pair!  Place a piece from another mask inside! When needed, remove contents and throw sock in Laundry!! Women's pair is smaller..perfect for a child.. No shortage, as far as I know!

What do you think?

20200406_130241-1.jpg

20200406_130142-1.jpg

Edited by SUNRAY

content

cat2_e0.gif

I apologize if this has been mentioned.

I read also that you can insert a couple of coffee filters in your home made mask for additional protection.  Do not know how effective that would be but it may be worth trying?  

"Life can be understood by looking back but it must be lived by looking ahead".

• 4 weeks later...

Are any of the forum members selling cloth masks?

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/7/2020 at 11:58 AM, Snority said:

I apologize if this has been mentioned.

I read also that you can insert a couple of coffee filters in your home made mask for additional protection.  Do not know how effective that would be but it may be worth trying?  

Seems to be very effective, but the coffee smell can be overpowering.

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

36 minutes ago, Old said:

Seems to be very effective, but the coffee smell can be overpowering.

The hard part was keeping the kcup between my teeth...😁

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/1/2020 at 6:29 AM, SUNRAY said:

Hi friends! I was wondering what materials to use and how to make a mask without using a sewing machine...:confused:

I saw an article about making a mask out of a sock and I tried it. It was very easy to make the mask and it was very comfortable, the heel of the sock fit over my chin. However, it breathed very easily and I was concerned about how effective it was. 

To test it, I exhaled on to a mirror while wearing the mask and easily fogged up the mirror. I did that several times to get an average. Then I donned a surgical mask and performed the same test, I barely fogged the mirror. Then I donned a cloth cotton/spandex mask and performed the same test and barely fogged the mirror. 

The surgical mask and the cotton/spandex mask were about the same and barely fogged the mirror. The cotton white crew sock mask easily fogged the mirror. It's a cool idea but I wouldn't feel that I would be protecting anyone with that mask. The article suggested putting a piece of old tshirt inside the mask as a liner, I haven't tested that yet.

Since I had a pair of socks, i decided to make a second mask but instead of having the heel of the sock at my chin, i reversed it and had the heel at my nose. I looked like a sock monkey 🐵😄

Edited by Bro Richard

1 hour ago, Bro Richard said:

of old tshirt inside the mask as a liner, I haven't tested that yet.

That is what I liked about the sock idea..you can insert something inside..some suggest a coffee filter..maybe 2 used coffee filters would smell very satisfying!!:lol:

cat2_e0.gif