JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Zimbabwe: Confirmation of a news circulated on social media

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1429 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Hello friends. How are you all faring. The covid-19 virus is no doubt a pandemic that has changed or affected some of us.

I do want to confirm a particular news being circulated on social media if it is true. Can a brother, sister or someone you may know most especially from zimbabwe verify this. The news says: “Just received this wonderful news -
Hi brothers, hope your all well. Just thought I'd share with you some encouraging news about the memorial this evening. Most of the African country's are now in lockdown. Zimbabwe which is an extremely poor country,  the majority of brothers dont have electronic devices, so the branch was very concerned how would all the brothers in isolation watch the memorial talk. Its just been approved that the government will now show the memorial talk on national Television and air it on the radio at 7.15 tonight!! How amazing is that!”

How true is this 

Edited by Mickey

Most parts of aftica if not all recieved the above. We had the memorial via zoom as a congregation and many congregations in our branch territory but the organisation lovingly still had it broadcasted as above...

Edited by My little flower

1 hour ago, Mickey said:

Zimbabwe which is an extremely poor country,  the majority of brothers dont have electronic devices, so the branch was very concerned how would all the brothers in isolation watch the memorial talk.

Even if I am not a Zimbabwean I have been to Zimbabwe brothers and sisters do have electronic gadgets as most people around the world but the challenge is with network.i have always thought our network was okay until I traveled to the US and the UK.i was wowed.

38 minutes ago, My little flower said:

I can confirm that it is true. We had the memorial on the national tv here in zambia and the same for zimbabwe and many of the countries in africa.

The memorial was broadcasted on national tv and radio stations..

First Angola, now Zimbabwe...lol.

Thank you for the confirmation Brother Leonard!

10 hours ago, My little flower said:

I can confirm that it is true. We had the memorial on the national tv here in zambia and the same for zimbabwe and many of the countries in africa.

IMG-20200407-WA0017.jpg

Thanks a lot for confirming. What a great witness it would have given

20 hours ago, My little flower said:

IMG-20200407-WA0017.jpg

Where is this image from? It gives the impression of coming from jw.org, but it can’t be. There are several typos, which is not something you see on jw.org. Examples:

”that there many parts” (lacks “are)

Radio stations (should have a lower case “r”)

1 hour ago, Svante said:

Where is this image from? It gives the impression of coming from jw.org, but it can’t be. There are several typos, which is not something you see on jw.org. Examples:

”that there many parts” (lacks “are)

Radio stations (should have a lower case “r”)

What is your point exactly?

16 hours ago, My little flower said:

What is your point exactly?

Sorry, I thought I was clear, but I see now I can make my self clearer. 🙂

My point is that I suspect the screenshot to be fake, or at least not from jw.org as we are led to believe. 

If I’m wrong, please post a link. 

2 hours ago, Svante said:

Sorry, I thought I was clear, but I see now I can make my self clearer. 🙂

My point is that I suspect the screenshot to be fake, or at least not from jw.org as we are led to believe. 

If I’m wrong, please post a link. 

The screen shot that he posted is from his personal account with jw.org and it's from a section only accessible to Elders and Ministerial Servants. He can't post a link. It appears the information was posted by his local Branch. 

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

6 hours ago, Luigi62 said:

Part 1 is about the belthites. maybe a part will be about the radio and tv program is certain countries.

I heard that WHQ was asking for experiences from the memorial so I assume there will eventually be a series of news segments or a broadcast about some of the things that occurred during this memorial. I assume the information about the TV and radio broadcasts will be included. 

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

13 hours ago, Bro Richard said:

I heard that WHQ was asking for experiences from the memorial so I assume there will eventually be a series of news segments or a broadcast about some of the things that occurred during this memorial. I assume the information about the TV and radio broadcasts will be included. 

https://www.jw.org/en/news/jw/region/global/2020-Memorial-Commemoration-United-States-Bethel-Facilities/

"This is the first of a series of articles for our Newsroom that will document how our brothers around the world observed the Memorial during the coronavirus pandemic. In this first article, we will consider how the Memorial was observed at the world headquarters of Jehovah’s Witnesses and at the United States branch office."

On 4/9/2020 at 1:07 PM, Mickey said:

Its just been approved that the government will now show the memorial talk on national Television and air it on the radio at 7.15 tonight!! How amazing is that!”

How true is this 

https://www.jw.org/finder?wtlocale=E&docid=702020217&srcid=share

Confirmed...👍🏼

On 4/9/2020 at 1:18 PM, Bro Richard said:

We hope to see that confirmed on jw.org :thumbsup:

That's what we were hoping for...👍🏼

• 1 month later...

Our public talk today was delivered by the Branch Overseer for Zimbabwe Bethel.  After the meeting we were able to sit and listen as he and his wife gave experiences.  They shared about the meetings being broadcast on the radio and how that was the only means a lot of Witnesses there were able to attend meetings because they don't have the Internet as readily available as Western countries.

Here are some other experiences:

In Zimbabwe the government does not provide unemployment relief and, sadly, many Witnesses are unemployed.  As a result, the Branch has organized food to be distributed.  They found a source of grain that could be purchased at a rate of 2 pounds (monetary unit) for 30 kilos of grain.  The Branch discussed purchasing 300 kilos.  Before the purchase an Overseer was contacted by an acquaintance and the offer was made to sell grain to the Branch for 1/3rd the asking price.  The Branch readily agreed and then increased the amount they were going to purchase to over 1,000 kilos.  The Branch then distributed the food to the congregations.

Zimbabwe Branch does not do printing.  The printing is handled by South Africa Bethel.  Zimbabwe concentrates on translation.  The official language of Zimbabwe is English.  The Branch operates 2 RTOs and translates literature into a total of 4 native languages including Zimbabwe sign language.  The Branch has about 150 Bethelites including those at the two RTOs.

An interested person named Jamie wanted to study.  She downloaded the Teach Us book and started studying via Zoom (or some other electronic communication means).  She attended the Memorial via Zoom.  She began studying with her maid and now the maid attends meetings via Zoom.  Jamie used to purchase large quantities of alcohol for her father.  After studying and applying Bible principles, Jamie warned her father that she would only purchase a little bit of alcohol for him instead of large quantities.  Jamie's common-law husband has begun studying and Jamie is planning on making the marriage legal once the lockdown is lifted.

A sister gave birth a few months ago after the lockdown started.  The baby was fine but the mother had complications and was hospitalized.  The doctors and nurses kept trying to persuade the sister and her husband to take blood.  They kept refusing.  They took the husband aside and said they could give the blood transfusion in secret and nobody would know.  The husband smiled, thanked them for their concern, but reassured them that "Jehovah would know, so we are still refusing blood."  They finally found a doctor who would perform the needed procedure but only under the stipulation that they pay for the operation in advance ($310 US) and sign a waiver releasing the medical staff of liability in case something went wrong.  The congregation was able to scrape together enough money to pay for the operation, the husband signed the waiver, and the procedure took place.  The doctors had to use epoetin but were able to complete the surgery without complications.  Mother and baby are doing fine and never had to take blood.

18 hours ago, Shawnster said:

Our public talk today was delivered by the Branch Overseer for Zimbabwe Bethel.  After the meeting we were able to sit and listen as he and his wife gave experiences.  They shared about the meetings being broadcast on the radio and how that was the only means a lot of Witnesses there were able to attend meetings because they don't have the Internet as readily available as Western countries.

Here are some other experiences:

In Zimbabwe the government does not provide unemployment relief and, sadly, many Witnesses are unemployed.  As a result, the Branch has organized food to be distributed.  They found a source of grain that could be purchased at a rate of 2 pounds (monetary unit) for 30 kilos of grain.  The Branch discussed purchasing 300 kilos.  Before the purchase an Overseer was contacted by an acquaintance and the offer was made to sell grain to the Branch for 1/3rd the asking price.  The Branch readily agreed and then increased the amount they were going to purchase to over 1,000 kilos.  The Branch then distributed the food to the congregations.

Zimbabwe Branch does not do printing.  The printing is handled by South Africa Bethel.  Zimbabwe concentrates on translation.  The official language of Zimbabwe is English.  The Branch operates 2 RTOs and translates literature into a total of 4 native languages including Zimbabwe sign language.  The Branch has about 150 Bethelites including those at the two RTOs.

An interested person named Jamie wanted to study.  She downloaded the Teach Us book and started studying via Zoom (or some other electronic communication means).  She attended the Memorial via Zoom.  She began studying with her maid and now the maid attends meetings via Zoom.  Jamie used to purchase large quantities of alcohol for her father.  After studying and applying Bible principles, Jamie warned her father that she would only purchase a little bit of alcohol for him instead of large quantities.  Jamie's common-law husband has begun studying and Jamie is planning on making the marriage legal once the lockdown is lifted.

A sister gave birth a few months ago after the lockdown started.  The baby was fine but the mother had complications and was hospitalized.  The doctors and nurses kept trying to persuade the sister and her husband to take blood.  They kept refusing.  They took the husband aside and said they could give the blood transfusion in secret and nobody would know.  The husband smiled, thanked them for their concern, but reassured them that "Jehovah would know, so we are still refusing blood."  They finally found a doctor who would perform the needed procedure but only under the stipulation that they pay for the operation in advance ($310 US) and sign a waiver releasing the medical staff of liability in case something went wrong.  The congregation was able to scrape together enough money to pay for the operation, the husband signed the waiver, and the procedure took place.  The doctors had to use epoetin but were able to complete the surgery without complications.  Mother and baby are doing fine and never had to take blood.

The Coronavirus has given us given an opportunity to reach as many people as possible.