JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community
We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2086 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

21 minutes ago, jwhess said:

There is a news release on Jw.Org.  The attack was confirmed.

https://www.jw.org/en/news/releases/by-region/angola/toxic-gas-20170829/

It's great that we have reliable news at last (and great that no one was seriously harmed). All the information until now was too confusing. Now the tag "FAKE NEWS" can properly be removed from this topic. :)

2 minutes ago, carlos said:

It's great that we have reliable news at last (and great that no one was seriously harmed). All the information until now was too confusing. Now the tag "FAKE NEWS" can properly be removed from this topic. :)

If you look up, you'll see that it was already removed this morning. :)

But i think more news may come after.
The brothers at Bethel may be in contact with the police to know who did it and why.
We may have to be more careful in future elections.
I don't know how it is in your countries, but in our during election when someone vote you paint your finger index in black. This ink takes like one week to be removed even if you wash it.
So during this time of election they can see easily who did not vote and attack easily. During field service some people even ask you to show your finger.... its like the mark of the beast....

Just now, carlos said:

I know it was removed. I was there. But was it "properly"? :lol2:

If I shine my torch at just the right angle I can still see a faint outline.

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

Jehovah’s Witnesses attacked with poisonous gas, 400 delegates faint

http://dailypost.ng/2017/08/29/jehovahs-witnesses-attacked-poisonous-gas-400-delegates-faint-photos/

No fewer than 400 Jehovah’s Witnesses passed out when assailants attacked the “Don’t Give Up!” 2017 Regional Convention of the Witnesses in Luanda, Angola.

“The toxic product that triggered the situation has been spread by a group presumably consisting of seven older individuals, three of whom are already in police custody.

“One of the defendants was arrested in one of the bathrooms changing clothes, the other while trying to enter one of the ladies’ bathrooms with the same purpose and the third to transpose the door.”

Samples of the toxic substance are already in possession of the experts of the provincial research service Criminal of Luanda and Central Crime Lab.

“There were no deaths as a result of the attack”, Panda Dombaixi, Clinical Director of the municipal hospital, which treated 45 victims, said.

“Clinically there were no worrying cases because some patients recovered as they talked to the service medical team. Some even only with natural oxygen exposure.”

Well, now it's official.

I'm glad to know that we all hesitated to declare it true/untrue until we got the facts frm a source we trusted. Other news reports, even some on Reddit World News are still printing rumors and inflating the numbers all over the place.

These days you need three totally independant sources before you can even be sure something is possible; and if we erred on the side of uncertainty, let that be a small price to pay for all the times we believed a rumor or a fake picture on Instagram. :-)

Stay strong, all our brothers in Angola. This is all temporary.

• 2 weeks later...

There was a (suspicious) new incident in our Assembly Hall in Luanda, Angola last weekend during a convention.

It was spotted a very strong smell during saturday morning, some sisters in panic fainted (no brothers this time).

After the lunch break it was decided to postpone the Convetion just for safety.

Police is working on this one as well. 

And there is a unofficial word between brothers that the Assembly Hall may be closed for some time.

We still dont know what will happen to brothers that did not yet attend the Discrict Convention.

Sergio, I don't want to "like" your comment, but you know we will keep praying for you regarding this situation in Angola.  I was hoping this was a once off, but those evil ones will be dealt with by Jehovah.

Psalm 27:1-4

Jehovah is my light and my salvation.
Whom should I fear?
Jehovah is the stronghold of my life.
Whom should I dread?
When evil men attacked me to devour my flesh,
My adversaries and my enemies were the ones who stumbled and fell.
Though an army should set up camp against me,
My heart will not fear.Though war should break out against me,
Even then I will remain confident.
One thing I have asked from Jehovah
—It is what I will look for—
That I may dwell in the house of Jehovah all the days of my life

22 minutes ago, sergiodongala said:

There was a (suspicious) new incident in our Assembly Hall in Luanda, Angola last weekend during a convention.

It was spotted a very strong smell during saturday morning, some sisters in panic fainted (no brothers this time).

After the lunch break it was decided to postpone the Convetion just for safety.

Police is working on this one as well. 

And there is a unofficial word between brothers that the Assembly Hall may be closed for some time.

We still dont know what will happen to brothers that did not yet attend the Discrict Convention.

Sergiodongala,

I hope brothers will stay strong and Jehovah will provide support. I will pray for you brothers.

Experience:  Twice, in the past, I attended a regional convention in W. Africa and noticed that the structure of the assembly hall is "open air".  (i.e. roof, 3-part sections, but no walls).  I surmise that it was built this way due to the tropical climate of the region.  (See AH photos below of Zimbabwe and Nigeria.)  So, it appears that the AH structure is the same in Angola.  (As a result, those with evil intent have taken advantage of this and are some are able to "slip in and slip out" without detection.)

This is indeed worrisome and I can see why the brothers may decide to postpone future conventions and assemblies there until further notice.  No matter, we continue to pray for our brothers and sisters there Bro. Sergio.  Thank you for letting us know.

nig3.jpg

Nig1.jpg

Nig2.jpg

Edited by Omoyeme

• 9 months later...

Brother Sergio, Brother Joel...can you update us on any new developments regarding the perpetrators of the toxic gas attack on our brothers and sisters in Angola during last year's convention?  Have they been tried and convicted? Or is the investigation still ongoing?  Will conventions be held at a different venue this year? 

I always remember you all in my prayers. :bible2:

On 7/6/2018 at 5:13 AM, Omoyeme said:

Brother Sergio, Brother Joel...can you update us on any new developments regarding the perpetrators of the toxic gas attack on our brothers ...

.... :bible2:

Up to know no offical conclusion to the case. Our police is one of the slowest in the world.

But we are using the same venue normally without any incident, the congress season has started!

We have only 2 venues in Luanda which is not enough. This year (if everething goes ok) we are going to start the contruction of 2 new assembly hall!!!

Calls for voluntairies have started, we need arround 2 000 people!!!  

15 hours ago, sergiodongala said:

But we are using the same venue normally without any incident, the congress season has started!

We have only 2 venues in Luanda which is not enough. This year (if everething goes ok) we are going to start the contruction of 2 new assembly hall!!!

Calls for voluntairies have started, we need arround 2 000 people!!!  

That's good news indeed my brother! As Jehovah blessed the work of the newly constructed Warwick branch, He will surely bless the Angolan brothers and sisters in this wonderful spiritual endeavor! (Ruth 2:12)