JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community
We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2109 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Some disturbing news coming regarding a convention on August 23rd there. One sister shared it on what's App group.

I asked her not to forward unless she was sure and had the right and confirmed details. 

As per the news...

Some political party released some gas and water was also poisoned due to which many of our brothers and sisters suffered and even some deaths. This was done after the political party list in elections.

Hope it is false.

Sent from my Infinix X572 using Tapatalk

Edited by Shawnster

received the same news......confirmed by someone we know.....but no death's among the Brother's

"3 people arrested for invading an assembly and spraying a toxic substance that made brothers faint"

Angola, Salão de Assembleias de Viana

I am sure it will be online on jw.org latest Monday....

Edited by Samira

I've only found one news site that covered this, and it's 'theworldnewsmedia'

A search for that news site, brought me back here: 

I have searched for other sources that can confirm the attack, and found only a youtube video: 

The video only has three comments, one of them from theworldnewsmedia. I don't speak the language, so I can't speak to the veracity of the video; but there's nothing in any other news website. Even if the numbers were inflated out of control, even if the attack failed, there'd be some word.

Jw.org has put up three pieces of breaking news in the last week. If an RC was hit, I'm betting there'd be some word, somewhere; if only for rumor control.

That 'sister' on the stretcher (if its the same one i saw) is wearing a sports uniform, so unless the attack included non-witnesses that photo is fake. Doesn't mean the attack is fake though - someone could be jumping the gun to be the first to get it out.

I agree with Samira, wait a few days for the brothers to verify it and they will if it happened ... then we can post a legit link.

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

http://www.portaldeangola.com/2017/08/mais-de-400-fieis-desmaiam-no-congresso-da-igreja-testemunhas-de-jeova/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFnZpsJEcw4&t=27s

Is this real or fake?? If these are from any apostate source, please forgive me and remove them at once.

Edited by Vinnie

The one showing favor to the lowly is lending to Jehovah

Perhaps these two threads should be merged ..... since they seem to be about the same thing

https://jwtalk.net/forums/topic/32463-angola-convention-attack/

https://jwtalk.net/forums/topic/32446-angola/

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

As they are in 2 different forums and some have tried posting it in a third and fourth one - let's leave the 2 separate in these 2 forums - as it could go either place.

Thanks for linking them. Hopefully new ones who want to post about it in either forum will post in one of these instead of starting yet another.

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

Here is another report. The details are different and the picture doesn't look right. There is no way for me to tell if this is credible or just a copy cat fake news item.

http://saharareporters.com/2017/08/27/jehovah’s-witnesses-attacked-toxic-gas-angola

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

25 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

Here is another report. The details are different and the picture doesn't look right. There is no way for me to tell if this is credible or just a copy cat fake news item.

http://saharareporters.com/2017/08/27/jehovah’s-witnesses-attacked-toxic-gas-angola

No that picture doesnt look right does it Tort? There's no convention air about it in their dress especially. I think they have just used a picture to back up their story. Doesn't mean the story isn't correct though. Bit like that picture of all those letters that people linked to our letter campaign.

55 minutes ago, Roberto Flores said:

That's the link we need to be careful about ... even though there is truth published on it, it's often skewed due to the orientation of the creator of this. 

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

4 minutes ago, Stormswift said:

No that picture doesnt look right does it Tort? There's no convention air about it in their dress especially. I think they have just used a picture to back up their story. Doesn't mean the story isn't correct though. Bit like that picture of all those letters that people linked to our letter campaign.

That's the link we need to be careful about ... even though there is truth published on it, it's often skewed due to the orientation of the creator of this. 

appreciate a lot your advise

Hey there Brother HW ... welcome to jwtalk ... Angola makes more sense at the mo ... because of the political issues and the fact there were what we thought at the time 'idle threats' of blaming the witnesses should they lose the election. So Rwanda could be a red herring. I'm watching jw.org tonight/tomorrow nz time - there will be an update if there is any truth in the Angolan issue. The other side of the coin of course, is IF this HAS happened, those brothers and sisters need our support in prayers and other ways the FDS determine. 

On 26/08/2017 at 6:48 PM, cricket246 said:

Anyone noticed a sudden hatred for JW's spreading like wildfire? Last year it was just the usual countries, now it's spreading everywhere. The scene is speeding up.

Definitely, rise in hate, apostates, media shaming, bans as well as a lot more 'personal' trials and struggles for people in the congregations. 

I'm starting to wonder if this one might be true, actually.

Anyone know if this instagram user is legit? I haven't been following; so I can't say for sure. But the pics look right enough, lapel cards and everything. The link included is to a news site that I know nothing about. Obviously, I don't want to spread unsubstantiated stories, but this one is starting to gain some substance.

Still nothing from JW.ORG, but you can say the same about Hurricane Harvey right now...

Edited by Thomas Walker

My search on the subject always go to the same picture that has nothing to do with a convention. The youtube vídeo has the author talking about the atack and how the convention was canceled and everybody is going home. But if I look at the images and turn the sound off it doesnt look like nothing of the sort...

A searc hon Google images related to this shows some fainted peopel on the grass or what to appears to be fainted people because we see the surroundinf people acting as if nothing is going on.... clicking on those images goes to the same site from a brazilian guy that just copied the texto from the angola news site...

On the text from the news (the same texto all around) there is the citation of a witness that refers the "temple" when talking about the local of the convention and also that the badges were distibuted by the organization of the convention... Those words don't appear to be coming from a JW witness...

All I can see from now is that it is not legit... At least there is no substance to cal it true so let's keep the advice of this article:

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/402015765?q=spread+news&p=par#h=7

The person sending the news may not check whether it is true because doing so takes time and effort. He simply thinks that those who receive his message can do that. But their time is precious too. (Ephesians 5:15, 16) So instead of sending things that we are not sure of, it would be better to think, “If I am in doubt, I should throw it out!”

So far the only thing confirmed is that when I  looked up the conventions Luanda had theirs this past weekend.

Let my words, like vegetables, be tender and sweet, for tomorrow these words, I may have to eat~

:uhhuh: