JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community
We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2116 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

9 hours ago, Dages said:

The kids have their hands over their nose, though.

Yes, I noticed that but it would be more logical to have the hands over the nose inside the venue and not outside where the air is fresher. If indeed there was a need to press the nose everybody would be rushing to leave and that was not the case shown on the vídeo... just the opposite

10 hours ago, jayrtom said:

There is nothing special about this vídeo. In fact he talks abut the convention being interrupted because of a gas but, to me, the images don't connect with the words he is speaking. It appears to me as if the brothers are going naturally home after the end of the convention.I don't see any spetial image shoing such a situation with 400 people affected

Well on that video there's definitely something in the air, why else are all these young lads holding their noses? Why are they ushering the brothers and sisters out the hall? There is something that "smells off" about this whole thing

EDIT: On another note, did anybody notice that jw.org took the story of our murdered sister in Turku, Finland, down from the net? It seems to me that they reconsidered whether posting such things on jw.org is shrewd

Edited by ChocoBro

1 minute ago, ChocoBro said:

Well on that video there's definitely something in the air, why else are all these young lads holding their noses? Why are they ushering the brothers and sisters out the hall? There is something that "smells off" about this whole thing

I didn't see anything like that on the vídeo. Anyway, it's clear that there was something. Sisters fainted and apostate people caused confusion.

This more clear image came to me via facebook and it shows someone getting arrested, so something happened indeed... But, according to Bill Underwood who got information from a brother in Angola Bethel commitee, there was no gas attak >> That's the fake part of the news apparently

FB_IMG_1503992910357.thumb.jpg.c817485ea5df2ae48cdede37bffd5096.jpg

Just thinking on this whole thing ... I was talking to a sister yesterday on how I feel we have entered a new phase, in that Apostates seem suddenly more active, and of course this problem here (we can conclude at least there was some there stirring trouble) and many others. Even at our convention we had the police called in to an individual who is a known trouble maker kept eluding the brothers (there's a whole lifetime story to that one).Whether parts, all or none of the Angolan attack is actual fact, we can expect an increase all over the planet of movements who are anti us. Bit scary on one hand, but a reasonable expectation on the other.

But one way they could try to get to us is by creating news items involving us like they have in other topics, that are simply Fake. So both scenarios could be an attack of sorts and both I think will increase.

I think at the very least this illustrates how quickly things may happen, we need to be vigilant and supportive of those who do go through stuff along these lines. 

I always remember the illustration of the penguins, who huddle together and take turns to brave the cold on the outer edges of the huddle, but in the middle they are warm toasty and safe ... all our turns will come I'm thinking when we will be on the outside of the huddle, some for longer periods of times than others, but don't underestimate the safety of being in the middle of the congregation either ... it keeps us focused on things that pertain to Jehovah and Jesus rather than real or perceived happenings in the world. 

Was thinking today too - while listening to my husband's prayer - the list is getting longer and longer of people we remember in our prayers for Jehovah to look over ... to me that's a very telling sign when a good part your prayer is taken up with specific names of individuals or groups of people who need our prayers and then he forgot some. It's quite daunting isn't it? 

I love how you have all come together in this thread because we are concerned for our family over in Angola and other places, that in itself fortifies me no end. You are all awesome - I'm so privileged to be your sister. 

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

2 hours ago, ChocoBro said:

EDIT: On another note, did anybody notice that jw.org took the story of our murdered sister in Turku, Finland, down from the net? It seems to me that they reconsidered whether posting such things on jw.org is shrewd

It seems that the "Breaking News" is only up for a few days no matter the subject and isn't placed elsewhere. 

Hi Brothers.

I live in Angola.

I can assure you as brother Fonseca said none died, but something happened.

There is not yet a formal report from Police or from Bethel.

It is was the first day of convention for these brothers (I had mine in 07/July) on last friday, a sister that was there said that there was a very strong smell (like corpse) near the bothroom of women.

Then at some point during the morning most of them were sisters who were just fainting. None died, they just fainted because of this very strong smell.

I recieved this photos from a brother that was in this convention. He said the convention had to be postponed, they just had the morning of friday 25/08/2017.

The police was called and they arrested 3 men suspected to do it. Now there is no formal report from police yet.

This is the part people are especulating:

Angola was under election at 23/08/2017.

There were suspectious of attach that some people would make to us because we dont vote.

All congregations recieved a letter from bethel (before that week) warning all congregations to not make any type of public preach or have meeting during the day of election, and if you go out in the field to conduct studies be very carefull during this day.

In my congregation we had Circuit Overseer visit at that week, and the CO decided that we would not go in the field neither have any meeting on 23/08/2017.

Then on friday these brother during the convetion add this "attack".

Some people say it may be some policital party who are unhappy because we dont vote.

I have to say that it looks like an attack but at least the good news is that our brothers are fine!!!

Edited by Musky

Pictures removed at poster's request.

Please  convey our love and support to all the brothers and sisters, now it makes sense about the many sisters fainting. I see there were some brothers also.

You are all enduring beautifully over there ... despite floods and now this. Be assured you are all in our prayers and loved very much.

Sister Amanda and Brother Tom from NZ.

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

2 hours ago, Stormswift said:

we can expect an increase all over the planet of movements who are anti us. Bit scary on one hand, but a reasonable expectation on the other.

But one way they could try to get to us is by creating news items involving us like they have in other topics, that are simply Fake. So both scenarios could be an attack of sorts and both I think will increase.

I think at the very least this illustrates how quickly things may happen, we need to be vigilant and supportive of those who do go through stuff along these lines. 

The sheep and goats are becoming more defined as such.  Expect psychological attacks as well as physical.

I still think this is not clarified.because of this points:

1 - According to Bill Underwood, brother Nuno Fonseca from Angola Bethel said there was no atack

2- All the news and social networks posts mention na attack by some kind of gas

3 - The aforementioned photos sent by a brother to our fellow member Sergio are the only 4 photos that are circulating on facebook. Also the vídeo posted in this thread is also the same unique vídeo circulating

4 - Amidst 7.000 on the convention isn't there any more photos or vídeos anywhere? - A brother that was on the convention sent those photos to Sergio but apparently the same brother sent to several other places

5 - On the first photo they are just there lying on the grass and no one seems to care...

6- The last photo desn't appear to be from the same place and why was it shared via a screenshot and not like the other 3?

Edited by jayrtom

7 hours ago, jayrtom said:

No, it's correctly translated from the portuguese news that mentioned 750.000 liters

Thanks, however 750 milliliter containers makes more sense to me than 750 thousand liter containers. It still sounds like a translation issue.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

1 minute ago, Tortuga said:

Thanks, however 750 milliliter containers makes more sense to me than 750 thousand liter containers. It still sounds like a translation issue.

750 ml is just a container (singular)

The news on the site "portal de angola" are in portuguese, so there is no tranlation issue. In portuguese it is stated this:

"recipientes de 750 mil litros de diversas cores, espalhados em locais estratégicos"

Notice that there are several containers and they are placed in  strategically locations. So it is much more than a bottle ;)

1 hour ago, jayrtom said:

750 ml is just a container (singular)

The news on the site "portal de angola" are in portuguese, so there is no tranlation issue. In portuguese it is stated this:

"recipientes de 750 mil litros de diversas cores, espalhados em locais estratégicos"

Notice that there are several containers and they are placed in  strategically locations. So it is much more than a bottle ;)

Agreed, however the English translation says 750 thousand liters. As Stavro says that volume would be several tanker trucks. It would also be about 3600 drums. I'd be the one fainting if I moved that much material :D

I'm still assuming the alleged perpetrators used several 750 milliliter containers such as water bottles or soda bottles.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

1 hour ago, jayrtom said:

In order to find a sense on that, "mil litros" means in Portuguese "thousand liters", but if you put an i between both words like "mililitros" it means milliliters. I think it's possible that they just missed an i...
Even if it's not an attack I hope our brothers are already fine.

3 minutes ago, Nnaemeka said:

If we don't believe brother Sergio's report, whose will we believe? 

Something bad happened and this is not fake news!

It's not the report of brother Sergio. He also received from 3rd parties (who in turn may have received also from a 3rd partie)

You need to read post #81 again. There he said "I received this report from a brother who was at the convention..." Add to that is the fact that he is living in Angola. Unless you want to insinuate that brother Sergio is lying? Far from that. 

Maybe you should read it again. 

For Jehovah is aware of the way of the righteous, But the way of the wicked will perish (Psalm 1:6).

19 minutes ago, Nnaemeka said:

You need to read post #81 again. There he said "I received this report from a brother who was at the convention..." Add to that is the fact that he is living in Angola. Unless you want to insinuate that brother Sergio is lying? Far from that. 

Maybe you should read it again. 

Lets keep it calm.

I just called the Information Desk at the US branch, and they said that they "have no knowledge" of any chemical attack.

I'm not doubting that these first-hand reports are accurately relaying what they believe to be the case, but I trust that the branch would know more about the situation than uninvolved onlookers.

"Edit: Apparently at the time I called the report wasn't available to the information desk yet, see below for the report form the branch."

Edited by Musky

The branch office in Luanda reports that all of the victims are recovering well. It was noted that those in attendance did not panic and worked together to care for the injured. In cooperation with recommendations from the local police, the Friday afternoon session of the convention was canceled. However, the convention resumed successfully without major incident on Saturday, August 26, and Sunday, August 27. Attendance reached a peak of over 12,000, and 188 were baptized as Jehovah’s Witnesses.

Thank you Heavenly Father! :) :worship:

Edited by Omoyeme