JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community
We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2109 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Got this from Bill Underwood: 

Here's the best update yet: From a brother on the branch committee in Angola:

Nuno DaFonseca 
This is the message we received : 
"Dear brothers ... everything is OK. Unfortunately the social networks are very good at sharing exagerated stories. 
There were in fact many sisters that fainted but no one was seen using any type of gas. It has been put down to mass hysteria due to the unwelcome guests causing problems and hurling threats and insults. There was no atack .. those reports were distorted facts. Big hug ... " 

Translated from Portuguese. 

I wouldn't suggest you Share this, but feel free to post it to anyone who is hearing the FALSE rumors of a gas attack on the convention in Angola.

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

20 minutes ago, GrumpysWife said:

Ah, good. That is a relief.

I wasn't convinced, but even people who believe positive things like to be reassured.

Jwtalk is the one place that double-checks the bad news. The rest of the world only fact-checks the good stories. Another sign of the times.

50 minutes ago, GrumpysWife said:

Got this from Bill Underwood: 

Nuno DaFonseca 
This is the message we received : 
"Dear brothers ... everything is OK. Unfortunately the social networks are very good at sharing exagerated stories. 
There were in fact many sisters that fainted but no one was seen using any type of gas. It has been put down to mass hysteria due to the unwelcome guests causing problems and hurling threats and insults. There was no atack .. those reports were distorted facts. Big hug ... " 

Translated from Portuguese. 

I wouldn't suggest you Share this, but feel free to post it to anyone who is hearing the FALSE rumors of a gas attack on the convention in Angola.

Hi Vernalee

Do you happen to have the original statement in Portuguese?

15 hours ago, Heraldwatcher said:

This evening we heard through whatsapp the same story but in Ruanda with similar pictures. No updates on jw.org. Doesn`t sound credible, let's see....

14 hours ago, Stormswift said:

Hey there Brother HW ... welcome to jwtalk ... Angola makes more sense at the mo ... because of the political issues and the fact there were what we thought at the time 'idle threats' of blaming the witnesses should they lose the election. So Rwanda could be a red herring. I'm watching jw.org tonight/tomorrow nz time - there will be an update if there is any truth in the Angolan issue. The other side of the coin of course, is IF this HAS happened, those brothers and sisters need our support in prayers and other ways the FDS determine. 

It supposedly took place in Luanda, Angola not in the country Rwanda

That report of Bills still leaves some gaps ... he said there were activists there causing problems and many sisters DID faint. Just no sign of gas ... so why did these sisters faint and why  only sisters? There are still questions on this one. 

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

16 hours ago, Stormswift said:

That report of Bills still leaves some gaps ... he said there were activists there causing problems and many sisters DID faint. Just no sign of gas ... so why did these sisters faint and why  only sisters? There are still questions on this one. 

If its too hot and also less air, they will probably faint sis mandi :)

All glory and praises goes to Jehovah :) 

Just now, Alexa said:

If its too hot and also less air, they will probably faint sis mandi :)

Yes but would not children faint too then and even some brothers if many sisters fainted? Perhaps they did too.

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

16 hours ago, Stormswift said:

Yes but would not children faint too then and even some brothers if many sisters fainted? Perhaps they did too.

Yes they did and it probably casual for them to faint for their location varies sis mandi :) 

All glory and praises goes to Jehovah :) 

1 hour ago, Stormswift said:

August is extremely hot in Spain. When we had our conventions in open-air stadiums many sisters used to faint. You saw the poor first-aid brothers running from one place to another with a stretcher during all the program. And most of those who fainted were sisters, not brothers nor children. My wife fainted once during the international convention in Madrid, when we reached 45 degrees (Celsius).

I suppose it's even hotter in Angola so sisters fainting must be common. Anyway the report doesn't say that no brother fainted, only that many sisters fainted, which is the usual thing. :)

I don't miss those open-air stadiums even for a minute. :)

Edited by carlos

On 8/27/2017 at 10:10 AM, Stormswift said:

That 'sister' on the stretcher (if its the same one i saw) is wearing a sports uniform, so unless the attack included non-witnesses that photo is fake. Doesn't mean the attack is fake though - someone could be jumping the gun to be the first to get it out.

I agree with Samira, wait a few days for the brothers to verify it and they will if it happened ... then we can post a legit link.

This in itself would not automatically make the photo fake.  We invite worldly people to our conventions and we have no dress code.  Further, at our convention this year the Cleveland State University was holding cheerleading  tryouts on the upper floor of the convention site.  We had both well dressed convention goers and young girls in cheerleading or sports outfits at the same place.

Regardless, it's been determined that the news is fake and there was no terror attack at a convention in Angola.

2 hours ago, ChocoBro said:

Does anbyody here speak Portuguese? I think this video may be insightful.

Supposedly, the attack took place out of revenge for not taking part in the recent elections.

I used YT’s closed-caption/translation feature and have ascertained that she is not really "in the know" about the JW situation there.  (I went to her YT "about" page where she's interested in "Intercultural, Foreign, Afrodescendence and Bible).  Also, she writes: “This channel was created for you who are interested in getting to know you more”, [et al].   Many of her channel videos are secular and politically-oriented.  That said, she (Ruth C.) is initially smiling and asked you to subscribe to her channel and mentions facebook.

Apparently, she has received her information on this past weekend's Angola regional congress situation from media sources and is only relating her perspective on the matter. (At one point, she mentions that she has friends who are JW’s and a moment later uses the term “cult”.  She breaks down in tears at the 2:50 mark and cuts the video a few seconds later.

I started to post here Google’s rough translation of her video summary…but I think I’ll wait until I hear from credible sources [read: jw.org]. 

Edited by Omoyeme

Good news bad news or fake news. My first thought is to turn to Jehovah in prayer that they are ok. Jehovah can handle all the extra prayers. Good practice for us.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

The one showing favor to the lowly is lending to Jehovah

1 hour ago, carlos said:

I remember many years of conventions in open air stadiums, with 6 children. And longer hours at the same time. Sure wasn't easy..tested our mettle..and faith :) But Jehovah got us through it all. :)

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..

2 hours ago, Shawnster said:

This in itself would not automatically make the photo fake.  We invite worldly people to our conventions and we have no dress code.  Further, at our convention this year the Cleveland State University was holding cheerleading  tryouts on the upper floor of the convention site.  We had both well dressed convention goers and young girls in cheerleading or sports outfits at the same place.

Regardless, it's been determined that the news is fake and there was no terror attack at a convention in Angola.

No not that in itself, but I would expect to see in the photo a few in suits or a few lapel cards. We do invite non witnesses to our convention I have done it on occasion myself lol  ... but it would be unusual to turn up in a sport uniform akin to a olympic runner in the actual event ... sports gear yes, but yeah well that's how i see it.

I'm going to personally and respectfully disagree ... sadly ... as I do think there has been an incident. Shall wait for jw.org.

This was released five hours ago:

https://www.naijanews.com/religion/19210-43-injured-jehovahs-witnesses-attacked-toxic-gas

Now i want to be proved wrong please.

Edited by Stormswift

Among smaller media outlets. it's common for one to run a story, and many others to piggyback on that original report with minimal verification. If there's an agreement between the two outlets, this process may even be automated.

If an article comes out with NEW details, photos, or videos of the event, that will be noteworthy. But so far we have the media equivalent of a Facebook repost chain, more people repeating the story doesn't make it any more true.

12 minutes ago, Stavro said:

Among smaller media outlets. it's common for one to run a story, and many others to piggyback on that original report with minimal verification. If there's an agreement between the two outlets, this process may even be automated.

If an article comes out with NEW details, photos, or videos of the event, that will be noteworthy. But so far we have the media equivalent of a Facebook repost chain, more people repeating the story doesn't make it any more true.

No, it doesn't. But Hitler always spouted that if you told a lie enough times, people would believe it. Same mentality today it seems..

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..

20 minutes ago, Stavro said:

I agree actually which is what i liked or hmm liked isn't the word but this link ive posted isn't running with the same photos that have already been posted and they have new details in the article - which to me does not scream copycat.

3 hours ago, carlos said:

August is extremely hot in Spain. When we had our conventions in open-air stadiums many sisters used to faint. You saw the poor first-aid brothers running from one place to another with a stretcher during all the program. And most of those who fainted were sisters, not brothers nor children. My wife fainted once during the international convention in Madrid, when we reached 45 degrees (Celsius).

I suppose it's even hotter in Angola so sisters fainting must be common. Anyway the report doesn't say that no brother fainted, only that many sisters fainted, which is the usual thing. :)

Yes my brother August is your Summer, but for Angola it's not their hot season they are in the southern hemisphere, they are experiencing cooler temperatures ranging between 21-26 degrees C at the mo. That's hot for NZ (mid range summer temps for us) but not for Angola.