JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Meteor Heading Towards Earth .... Scientist say to get you affairs in order.

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 4419 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Matthew 24:29 says, " 29 “Immediately after the tribulation of those days the sun will be darkened, and the moon will not give its light, and the stars will fall from heaven, and the powers of the heavens will be shaken."

Watch this.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/46633997/displaymode/1283/for/facebookvideo

I'm not making this up. You decide

It does not have to hit the earth to darken the skies and cause a big buzz in the scientific world. Just make a notable impression. I always like the scripture about Jesus' return being observed only by his followers. Reminds me of something like that. Thanks David (triple DDD) for posting that!

LeslieDean

Thankful to be among friends everyday!

I have heard that scientist have to decide in the next few years whether to try and divert it... and of course we all know that while they are getting concerned about this they are in fact not payng attention to the real events unfolding before their eyes.

I cannot see how this will be the 'heavenly phenomena' that will occur or that will darken the skies.... if Jehovah is able to make the sun stand still etc then whatever he uses at that time will be momentous and take everyone by surprise.... they will be in no doubt that it is by the hand of Jehovah, they will not see it coming.... unlike this Meteor..

By the way did anyone see the meteor that just missed the UK this week or the one that landed in Norway a few days before??

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/sightings-of-meteor-reported-across-the-uk-7536089.html

http://articles.businessinsider.com/2012-03-02/europe/31115822_1_fireball-crash-site-meteorite

You can't walk with God while holding hands with the Devil.

I don't think an astroid "150 feet across" could "darken the sky". It might darken things for anybody it fell on though! :tongue:

It's funny that the 2012 Dooms-Sayers are going to run with this news, along with the Maya Calender thingy.

Brief archeological history tidbit. It stated that the dinosaurs were wiped out because of the impact of a meteor hitting the earth. The dust and ash from the impact darken the sky's where vegetation soon was chocked out from sunlight. No sunlight, no vegetation, no vegetation, no food for the animals and so forth. This is their theory.

Nasa said it has little chance to hit Earth.

I love what the scientist said that the meteors path was going to pass in between the path of the earth's satellites and the earth. That is a very slim path. And... What would prevent the earths gravity from pulling the rock's path? Some one commented about only being 150 wide. I wouldnt want to get hit with a pee shooter in my head going thousands of miles an hour, would you. I'm confident in Jehovah's celestial manuvering. I would love to see how the worldly people are going to handle this.

Brief archeological history tidbit. It stated that the dinosaurs were wiped out because of the impact of a meteor hitting the earth. The dust and ash from the impact darken the sky's where vegetation soon was chocked out from sunlight. No sunlight, no vegetation, no vegetation, no food for the animals and so forth. This is their theory.

But that asteroid is thought to be 6 to 9 miles wide, far more than 150 feet. If I've used Google Calculator correctly, that means that the dinosaur killing meteor was 75,000,000 times greater in volume (if both are assumed as spheres).

Besides, a huge portion of the Earth's surface is unpopulated. The oceans alone take up 75%, and nobody lives there. Even much of the land surface, such as polar latitudes, deserts, and so on, is very sparsely populated if at all.

I wonder how large an asteroid it would take to, upon impact, produce a blanket of dust of the amount that they said had covered the sun's light and killed the dinosaurs? I would guess that it would be bigger than this one.

85266=4790-asteroid roughly 130 feet (40 This is the almost one mile wide crater left from a meteorite 130 ft/40meters wide near Winslow, Arizona. Made of nickel/Iron it smacked the earth at about 26,800 mph (12 km/sec) leaving a crater 570 ft/170 meters deep and .737 mile/1.86 km wide. About half of the original 300,000-ton meteorite burnt up in the atmosphere before hitting the earth. http://www.space.com/834-mystery-arizona-meteor-crater-solved.html

We cannot incite if we are not in sight.___Heb.10:24,25

But that asteroid is thought to be 6 to 9 miles wide' date=' far more than 150 feet. If I've used Google Calculator correctly, that means that the dinosaur killing meteor was [b']75,000,000 times greater in volume (if both are assumed as spheres). Besides, a huge portion of the Earth's surface is unpopulated. The oceans alone take up 75%, and nobody lives there. Even much of the land surface, such as polar latitudes, deserts, and so on, is very sparsely populated if at all.
The video posted above says - 150feet across.This is a nice link with a picture of the asteroids path http://www.space.com/14810-asteroid-earth-impact-risk-2012da14.html

85267=4791-asteroid-2012da14-orbit-diagr

The asteroid' date=' which astronomers estimate to be about [b']150 feet (45 meters) across, will give Earth an uncomfortably close shave on Feb. 15, 2013, coming nearer to our planet than the satellites we've lofted to geostationary orbit. But 2012 DA14 poses no real impact danger on that pass, according to NASA scientists.
They do show the gravity of the earth having a pull on it and bending its trajectory.
Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

I wonder how large an asteroid it would take to, upon impact, produce a blanket of dust of the amount that they said had covered the sun's light and killed the dinosaurs? I would guess that it would be bigger than this one.

Here is a nice article about the meteor they "think" may have killed the dinosaurs:

http://www.livescience.com/1162-study-single-meteorite-impact-killed-dinosaurs.html

the estimates are it was 6 miles (31,680 feet) wide - not 150 feet

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

Thanks for the links. Wow, I kind of guessed that they would be able to figure it out using physics calculations. So even if it fell on a populated part of the earth somewhere, it would cause a tragedy, but it won't produce a sandstorm that could obliterate the sun's rays to the earth.

I wonder what kind of affairs one needs to get in order. Set up a will? Dig one of those 1950's shelters? I wonder if the Kingdom Halls will fill up with 11th hour repentant people like after 9/11 - they all or mostly went away in a few weeks. People sometimes forget that Jehovah cannot be fooled, and he reads the heart.

Very nice views Lyn and Jerry. I love everything about the stars and planets. Did anyone view the planets Venus and Jupiter last week?

"May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart Be pleasing to you, O Jehovah, my Rock and my Redeemer."

There was an interesting Science documentary on BBC2 part of the Horizon Science series. It was explaining that our planet is experiencing a lot of solar flare/storm activity. We in the north of England are seeing more Aurora Borealis phenomena usually associated with countries further north than us - weird shimmering red/green flaring in the sky - colours dependant on which different gases in our atmosphere ignite when solar flares hit us.

The problem with this is that a bigger solar storm causes an excess of magnetic activity that can knock out our modern society's infrastructure, as we are now so reliant on electronic data to run everything - most worrying aspect is planes in the sky. Also, it can hit and knock out satellites. These can lose power and be knocked out of orbit and get sucked into our atmosphere by earth's gravitational pull and come crashing to earth in balls of fire that many may think are meteorites.

Around the world are a few solar storm weather stations keeping watch and listening for solar storm activity on the sun. They try to predict when a burst of magnetic storm energy breaks free from the surface of the sun and heads our way - how soon will it hit and can they get warnings to satellite operators to get them to move or keep their satellites out of the predicted area it will hit. The also try to warn National Grid operators in each country to enact their protocols to 'weather the storm' so systems may not get fried; to warn air traffic control to get planes out of the hit zone etc.

BBC programs tend not to be able to be played out of certain areas, but here's the link available for 4 weeks from now anyway:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006mgxf/episodes/player

Matthew 6:34

So, never be anxious about the next day, for the next day will have its own anxieties.

Sufficient for each day is its own badness.

g 7/10 "Do not worry about tomorrow"

Jesus was not saying that we should act as if our problem did not exist.

However, worrying about what might happen tomorrow will only add to the emotional load of today.

Frankly, we have little power over what may develop tomorrow, good or bad.

But we can take measures to deal with the present.

It's funny that the 2012 Dooms-Sayers are going to run with this news, along with the Maya Calender thingy.

Wierd.... Snooki's baby is predicted to be born Dec 21, 2012. Wonder if that's something the Mayan's predicted, and meant by being the end of the world....... LOL!!!!!!!!!

85461=4813-addon.jpg This is the almost one mile wide crater left from a meteorite 130 ft/40meters wide near Winslow' date=' Arizona. Made of nickel/Iron it smacked the earth at about 26,800 mph (12 km/sec) leaving a crater 570 ft/170 meters deep and .737 mile/1.86 km wide. About half of the original 300,000-ton meteorite burnt up in the atmosphere before hitting the earth. http://www.space.com/834-mystery-arizona-meteor-crater-solved.html[/quote'] I've been there before. That place is AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!

There have been about 514 Leap Years since Caesar created it in 45BC. Without Leap Year, today would be July 28, 2013 . The Mayan calendar didn't take leap years into account , so technically the world should have ended 7 months ago - LoL

I found the above statement, dont know how accurate it is but i thought it quite amusing if no one had thought of it

I don't think an astroid "150 feet across" could "darken the sky". It might darken things for anybody it fell on though! :tongue:

The only place you can find perfection , is in the dictionary.

Its all very interesting. I saw a documentary a couple of years ago that said that the earth is now going through the place in space where the asteroid belt is. The last time it did this the dinosaurs were wiped out.

We are also over due an eruption from a super volcano or even more than one super volcano's as in the news a couple of weeks ago they told us about a super volcano in Germany that was long over due. This on as well as the yellow stone one in the USA and there are probably others too.

All things considered you can kind of see how things are panning out and how the great tribulation is going to happen. I think now more than ever before we need to keep spiritually awake and have faith that Jehovah is going to protect us.

Its all very interesting. I saw a documentary a couple of years ago that said that the earth is now going through the place in space where the asteroid belt is. The last time it did this the dinosaurs were wiped out.

We are also over due an eruption from a super volcano or even more than one super volcano's as in the news a couple of weeks ago they told us about a super volcano in Germany that was long over due. This on as well as the yellow stone one in the USA and there are probably others too.

All things considered you can kind of see how things are panning out and how the great tribulation is going to happen. I think now more than ever before we need to keep spiritually awake and have faith that Jehovah is going to protect us.

Be careful of what you read. The asteroid belt is located between Mars and Jupiter, and the Earth does not pass through it. Also, there is no way to predict the eruption of supervolcanoes. Personally I believe that 5/21/2011 and 12/21/2012 are things Satan promotes to discredit Jehovah's day. As for the 2012 hoax this aptly named website is helpful:

http://www.2012hoax.org/

Be careful of what you read. The asteroid belt is located between Mars and Jupiter, and the Earth does not pass through it. Also, there is no way to predict the eruption of supervolcanoes. Personally I believe that 5/21/2011 and 12/21/2012 are things Satan promotes to discredit Jehovah's day. As for the 2012 hoax this aptly named website is helpful:

http://www.2012hoax.org/

Interesting stuff, I do not follow astronomy so i have no idea where anything much is in space. As for super volcano's i find the whole concept of them interesting, As to when they will go off, who knows. I totally agree with you about Satan. he is having a field day using so many different tactics to mislead people that none of us are really safe.

This 2012 rumour is only actually helping us in our ministry I find because more and more people are searching for something, be it God or the meaning of life. i think we could certainly use this to our benefit.

keep up the good work :D

agape

Annalou

I was thinking the same thing, Anna. Satan has something for everyone to distract them and cause them to take no note. With some it might be UFOs, others it might be sex, or materialism or politics and nationalism. We are so blessed to have the Faithful Slave keeping us focused where we need to be.